Apple iPhone 6 said to have 960 x 1704-pixel resolution, Apple A8 chip details unveiled
0. phoneArena 15 May 2014, 03:48 posted on
The new iPhone 6 will have a screen with a resolution of 1704 x 960 pixels, much higher than the current 1136 x 640 pixels on the iPhone 5s…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
10. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3718; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
And iP6 will have weird resolution where iFans would say its better than QHD. ;)
11. zhiae (unregistered)
4inch to 6inch are they insane
Im really congradulate them for 960p it was unexpected
I was expecting 720p
I feel bad for i useres who never saw vid or pic on full scale screen
42. sgodsell (Posts: 3629; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Apple is no dummy. They know if they went with a resolution lower then even FHD (1920x1080). That graphics tests and other graphics intensive applications will run faster because they are pushing less pixels then FHD display. Never mind a resolution of a QHD (2560x1440).
1136x640 = 727040 pixels, 2908160 bytes
1280x720 = 921600 pixels, 3686400 bytes
1704x960 = 1635840 pixels, 6543360 bytes
1920x1080 = 2073600 pixels, 8294400 bytes
2560x1440 = 3686400 pixels, 14745600 bytes
Pushing more pixels means pushing more bytes and with most displays push 16M colors, this means 3 bytes for colors, plus alpha and other controls making it 4 bytes per pixel. Now if you are playing a game at even 30fps. This means Apples new resolution 1704x960 will be pushing 196300800, or almost 200mb per second for 30fps. The new QHD (2560x1440) at 30fps will be pushing 442368000, or almost 450mb per second. If you try to go 60fps at these resolutions then Apples would almost be pushing 400mb a second and the LG G3 will be almost pushing 900mb a second. For me personally I will stick to 1920x1080. Its good enough for me and at the 30fps means it's pushing 250mb a second, and 500 at 60fps. QHD is nice but I will look for better features like longer battery life, more ram, more sensors.
50. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Eh? It was totally expected.
I was expecting only doubling the resolution and not tripling it though. Their entire empire depends on their apps so you know for a fact that they would use a scalable resolution.
Tripling it instead of doubling it is risky though. If they only doubled it then the CPU/GPU would perform better. Tripling it would make it lose a lot of benchmarks to their rivals.
68. iampayne (Posts: 322; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
According to this they are only tripling the OG iPhone resoultion not the "retina" display resolution which would give way to a better benchmark score I think.
72. jroc74 (Posts: 6005; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Yea the article is comparing it to the orig iPhone....not the iPhone 4.
If thats the case....every time an Android OEM goes to a higher screen res....it needs to get compared to the screen res of their phones in 2008, 2009.
15. Klamba92 (Posts: 210; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
If the Oppo find 7 is anything to go the QHD looked worse than the 7A in picture and color quality, on top of that I doubt you will be able to tell the difference from a FHD display when looking at it at a normal viewing distance!
Personally I think the G3 should have stayed with the FHD display instead as they could have increased the battery life even more! On top of that there won't be any QHD content to take advantage for and will most likely jump straight to 4K!
Still regarding the iPhone 6 resolution is the main for reason for the unusual resolution, due to apps being able to scale properly without needing to change much for app developers?
16. madmikepr (Posts: 138; Member since: 09 Aug 2011)
1080p its old fashioned With the new 960p Resolucion is a Better and Improve Resolucion For Crisp And Clear Fotos And Videos You Never Have Experience Something Like This xD LMFAO!!!!
37. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Such a low resolution my eyes hurts already
54. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
I know right. they think the RETINA DISPLAY have the best screen on the market. when all blogs love its viewing angles. i mean wtf do i need to see my phone on the side for?
6. Finalflash (Posts: 3085; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Welcome to 2010, you're a bit late I think, lol.
41. Finalflash (Posts: 3085; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Lol your declaration is a few years late is what I meant.
14. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
The last ground breaking iPhone was the iPhone 4. No one had a better screen than the retina display at that time. This new iPhone won't even match any of the phones on the market today and we are still months away from launch. The LG G3 looks so much better.
18. Altair (Posts: 367; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Your LG G3 is nothing compared quality of Nokia 1520 & 930.
40. sgodsell (Posts: 3629; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
But Nokia's 1520 & 930 is running a POS OS.
3. jimbo1mcm (Posts: 23; Member since: 07 May 2014)
I will need a rear view mirror on my new G3 to look for an Iphone 6
4. GreekGeek (Posts: 1276; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
Yaay.. Another odd screen resolution
RIP 1080p content.
7. GreekGeek (Posts: 1276; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
You actually dont need 1080p.... This resolution is " just right" for watching, errr... 960p videos.
But who encodes @ 960p? Lol
25. blingblingthing (Posts: 529; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
I think someone should offer a "960p video collection" app
24. blingblingthing (Posts: 529; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
960p? More like a "never before seen resolution" on a mobile device.
44. fzacek (Posts: 2486; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
That's going to be Apple marketing phrase: "A never before seen screen resolution..."
58. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"Introducing Apple Direct HD. Optimized for mobile. When you want the best in mobile entertainment, remember ADHD, Apple Direct HD."
55. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
That reminds of how Steve Jobs went on and on about the antennae of the iPhone4, saying no one had ever done one that way before and how ground breaking it was. Less than a week later, massive reports of dropped calls.
69. jroc74 (Posts: 6005; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
It was ground breaking and never done before....
I have yet to place 1/2 an inch of finger on a phone and it drops the signal. You can just place it on the area....dont even have to hold it.
It was wild during that time seeing so many ppl trying to dismiss and discredit scientific proof, technical proof. Anandtech and Consumer Reports trying to be dismissed and discredited was especially hilarious.
38. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
But what if a 1080p hd movie file can't play @ that resolution?
8. uchihakurtz (Posts: 369; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
I can't wait to see all the black bars, remember the 4-To-5 Jump? :D
19. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Then you'll wait till forever cuz it ain't happening with that res.
29. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 261; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
This strange resolusion is still 16:9 aspect ratio.. so there won't be black bars at all!! ;)
70. jroc74 (Posts: 6005; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Dont worry...it will be justified and made to look revolutionary when it launched...
More proof that Apple arent the trend setters anymore. Maybe they will be again one day.
33. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1178; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
deadpool is cooler :P
back on topic i think as a consumers we're all attracted to different devices so he's allowed to look where he pleases :) !
60. rallyguy (Posts: 620; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
No worries there. I'm not a consumer of Apple products.
Now that Apple has almost caught up to 2013, maybe they can work on a 1080 screen.
23. WilliamC937 (Posts: 17; Member since: 07 Sep 2013)
Quite interesting that a 960x1704p can turn into a 4.7inch display....Weird display resolution....Btw waiting for this piece of monster coming out....
30. antonioli (Posts: 200; Member since: 08 Sep 2013)
Oh god, why they do these bizarre things....
31. dorianb (Posts: 595; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
& my 18+ month old DROID DNA is rocking a 1080 x 1920 display.
Thanks Apple for catching up to 2012.
32. iampayne (Posts: 322; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
I read this article on 9to5 and I could be wrong but I don't remember them saying this was a fact. I think they were just making predictions, not posting it as something they found out.
35. iMemo (Posts: 110; Member since: 22 Feb 2014)
Dudes... Don't look at the resolution, look at the ppi!!!
36. refillable (Posts: 1046; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Congratulations catching up with 2012's Androids! They're gonna use 'Best display in the world' as an ad, still. And, Fanboys will still be boasting out it's gimmick 'retina' display!
45. fzacek (Posts: 2486; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
"The world's only smartphone with a Retina display!"
47. latido (Posts: 45; Member since: 31 May 2012)
In my opinion, apple screen much better than current android flagship. It not because of retina gimmick or apple fanboy here but the screen itself. You will see the different if you compare side by side. The colour of the screen much better on apple device.
73. latido (Posts: 45; Member since: 31 May 2012)
Thank you. I already had Note 3.. Dont want buy S5 because it pricey plus only 16gb/2gb onboard compare to 32gb/3GB RAM/lower price on my note 3. What I can say, Samsung just want your money, they doesnt care about your phone quality but the quantity.
74. refillable (Posts: 1046; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Well these are the reasons why the S5 is more expensive: Better Processor + A Better Tweaked Display + More compact + Waterproofing + Better Touchwiz + Many more...
Of course, if you already like the Note 3 and have it, there is no reason to upgrade it to the S5. At least the S5 isn't as overpriced as the butts of iPhone prices.
61. rallyguy (Posts: 620; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
I bet that was hard for Apple to swallow since Jobs said the human eye can only see as good as a "retina" display.
So while Apple has just broke past 2011 by going above 720. Maybe they can work on 1080 while everyone is enjoying the new QHD displays. Maybe the iPhone in 2018 will have it?
I'm sure they will milk this new resolution as long as they can though.