Apple iPhone 6 concept shows off wraparound screen
0. phoneArena 23 Nov 2013, 13:53 posted on
With speculation that Samsung will be offering a phone employing a three-sided wraparound screen next year, designer Iskander Utebayev thought that Apple might want to follow suit and designed a concept version of the Apple iPhone 6. Using the wraparound screen, virtual controls replace real physical ones, and allow for them to be placed on either side of the screen...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. MojoDojo (Posts: 87; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Would like to see a droptest on that concept :)
30. MONUQ (Posts: 31; Member since: 26 Jan 2013)
Yes it is....What do we want to have a toliet paper with a touch on touchscreen.....Everything with touch is a bad idea ....for ex camera shutter key on screen is bad as compared to shutter button.....
38. Humphrey.One (Posts: 23; Member since: 14 Nov 2013)
Agree, how to even hold this thing without pressing something on the sides, or how to find the desired button if I intended to?
That's not even a wraparound screen, plastic substrate stuff isn't aluminum foil you can fold around a lego block and it'd get as angular as the block, it folds like a thick carpet on stairs. If you want 90 degrees between two flat parts of screen, those would be just separate screens, and each would have a bezel.
49. sniperdroid (Posts: 146; Member since: 23 May 2013)
There'll be an included feature that can tell the difference between touching with intent or just holding your phone.
21. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7040; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
they are holding the iphone wrong plus its made from glass so it can't bend or curve
26. joey_sfb (Posts: 4420; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
This is a non-functional design as touch screen don't offer the real feels of the buttons plus it drain the battery further.
Neither Apple or Samsung would adopt this design.
45. romdude (Posts: 8; Member since: 30 Nov 2013)
Samsung will because of their throw everything at a wall strategy and see which sticks. Apple will only adopt it if it's already tried and everyone wants it but somehow apply it better.
2. bvalde09 (Posts: 174; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
If only Apple will take a hint on any design we see on the web everyday I will buy apple once again. For now they wont have my money, Unless I see a Note 2 IPhone :D. over 3000 on battery.
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
4.9 inch screen size should enable a larger batter to be fitted. Whether it is 3000+ mAh, IDK.
12. bvalde09 (Posts: 174; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I dont know why apple hasnt enter the race yet which to me seems to be almost over. New things are coming and I just cant stand any smartphone anymore that doesnt have a good battery life Days where we used to have chargers everywhere are over. What we consumer want is a phone that could stand our usage. I understand everybody use the phone different but I believe 2850 mAh should be the minimal. But that just me
23. Sauce (unregistered)
You know why? Because they don't need to. Lol. They are doing just fine right now. Don't get all butthurt from my statements, it's just the truth. Until competition poses at least a small threat, then they don't see that they must rush or keep up with anything others are doing. Yes, battery life isn't as great as other phones, but like I said, they don't see these 3000+ batts a threat.
25. tedkord (Posts: 7564; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
If they didn't see ant threats, they wouldn't be suing so much.
32. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
If Apple didn't sue, then Samsung would have NEVER acknowledged in court they stole from Apple.
34. tedkord (Posts: 7564; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Samsung did the only thing they could in the damages trial. They couldn't claim the original jury was wrong, they weren't allowed. That will be for the appeal.
When will Apple admit their thefts?
3. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 226; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Accidental button presses are going to be an issue for any wrap around device. Welcome back butt dial.
37. Beijendorf (Posts: 336; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
That's why we need fewer buttons and more gestures to execute commands. Such as instead of pushing a small button you slide your finger up or down the side to adjust volume, etc.
Jolla's Sailfish OS is pretty much gesture-based. It's quite neat, wish more companies implemented that idea.
42. kryme (Posts: 275; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
this is a easy fix with a two tap and hold and slide ur thumb up or down for volume.... wait let me patent this idea before apple see this.... because they get there ideas by reading the comment section on sites like this to see wat we the customer like or dislike about other phones
5. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I doubt you will see a wrap-around screen on an iToy until the iP7 - the technology is too new.
iP6 will have a larger screen. Based on the lakes coming out of the supply chain, it is almost a certainty. The only unknown is how much larger.
13. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
*leaks* As in leaks coming out of the supply chain.
6. mattmasi303 (Posts: 18; Member since: 04 Jul 2013)
Hey lets put a screen exactly where you put your hands when you hold it... great idea...idiots
7. hellonerds (Posts: 279; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
samsung has this prototype of that youm thing...
8. imkyle (Posts: 1053; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
You can be an Android lover since 2008, but you can't deny that is some sick stuff.
16. Finalflash (Posts: 2188; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Nope, makes no sense since you would have no feel for the buttons and therefore, would need to look at it every time to use it. It only looks cool because its on a dark background with glow/bloom with some particle scatter (tyndall effect). Even a strangled goat would look good in those effects.
10. toyboyz (Posts: 138; Member since: 22 Jan 2010)
Good luck getting this concept to light! Like they say "The people are not ready for this technology yet"!
14. 1113douglas (Posts: 193; Member since: 04 Jul 2013)
Samsung already has a patent the wrap around display. tough luck
46. romdude (Posts: 8; Member since: 30 Nov 2013)
Which they will gladly license because they are a business and will even gladly produce for companies including apple.
22. Ravail (Posts: 182; Member since: 14 Oct 2011)
Hope Samsung sues their brakes off if they put this into production.
27. darkkjedii (Posts: 16109; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Keep hoping, cuz they won't. This isn't apples concept, calm down dude.
24. ThePython (Posts: 637; Member since: 08 May 2013)
I'll be honest... the wrap-around screen concept is awful. Not only with the iPhone but with every other phone or mobile device in general.
29. taikucing (unregistered)
the ugly thing becomes uglier
33. nasketon (Posts: 5; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
Very cool looking and im more than sure that this phone won't come out for at least 3 more years but it does look nice.
36. shahrooz (Posts: 479; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
this concept is so cool but it is as much impractical as well.
40. Astoni (Posts: 623; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
I've got 2 thing to say about this sh*t.
1. Iphones has the worst battery life on the high-end smartphone market so how long will this last? 1-2 hours MAX.
2. Apple isn't very innovative and hasn't been for some time, and they havent even had an offical Oled announcment soo.. I'd bet that windows phone and android will have this phone type (if it even will exist) 1-2 years before apple.
43. philfoster (Posts: 34; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
I think no wrap around smartphone till 2016
44. spectrums (Posts: 127; Member since: 14 Nov 2013)
Samsung First Design For This Consept, And Now Apple Follow Samsung Concept. Apple The Real Samsung Followers Now :)
47. WiNDiR (Posts: 6; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
they steal the samsung flexible display (YOUM)
48. parham007 (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
50. COZMAN (Posts: 99; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Too little too late and what a well..... you know idea. With all the money they can't find people with ideas to build an innovative device?