Apple iPhone 6 concept features edge to edge display on 4.5 inch screen
0. phoneArena 11 May 2013, 23:49 posted on
How about this for a concept Apple iPhone 6 model? A sleek 4.5 inch display that is completely edge to edge with resolution of 754 x 1296; the pixel density works out to 333ppi which would compare with the 441ppi on the 5 inch screen used on the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the 326ppi on the Apple iPhone 5. The complete elimination of the bezel actually shows off why one is needed. Without a bezel, your hand is covering up part of the display...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
46. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Using carbon fiber and having small slide air vents on the back of the phone, will release air™
33. TripleTwo (Posts: 29; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Honestly, it doesn't matter as long as the experience is smooth and fast.
61. darkkjedii (Posts: 7814; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Rite... It's not always about specs. Apples proven this time and time again.
37. ara.armagedon (Posts: 6; Member since: 12 May 2013)
GHz isn't important at all!
HTC One X has a quad core 1.5GHz cpu but Galaxy S III with 1.4GHz tops it in benchmarks, and iPhone 5 with a dual 1.2 top those two
41. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3279; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
You realize they were talking about Apple's custom A7 chip, successor to the A6 in the iPhone 5, and not ARM's Cortex-A7 chip, right? If so, how can you know how powerful it is and what clock speed it is limited to when it doesn't even exist yet?
44. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
A15 Cpu can be clocked upto 3.0Ghz™
55. kboo1995 (unregistered)
If you have any background in Tech ,you should have know that higher clock speeds don't mean a faster experience
Can't believe me?
Bring an Is**t 4S and a Galaxy S4
Do some speed test
You will notice that the S4 is faster ,but is it faster enough?the S4 has a dual-quad Core clocked at 1.5 and it is a 2013 Phone
The 4S has dual core clocked at 800 almost half of what the S4 has ,but it still give you good experience in term of speed not far behind the S4
So software and hardware integration
66. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Apples ios is umatured, and is not a full OS!
iOs dosen't run apps at background, that's why it's smooth!
Your new to tech, you don't no anything!
Unix vs Full Linux!
Java vs darwin!
Android needs 6 to 8 cores to push it's OS, or 2x A15 clocked at 2.0Ghz with 22nm Cpu to save battery, cause A15 are power hungry chips
67. tedkord (Posts: 3419; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Its very difficult to benchmark across platforms. To accurately benchmark one component against another, the rest of the system should be identical.
In the case of benching a cpu in and Android phone against one in an iPhone, you have to take into account what reach OS does in the background while running the benchmark, besides the raw power of the cpu.
74. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4229; Member since: 14 May 2012)
If only the Exynos Octa could be tested on iOS to show it's true processing power and put Apple Swift A6/A7 to shame.
81. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I would love to see how a E5410 on a Apple device would perform
100. willard12 (Posts: 376; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Software integration....or no real multitasking, live widgets, or customization? It's easy for an os to seem fast when it doesn't have to do anything but launch apps and scroll right and left like a feature phone.
69. aditya.k (Posts: 298; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
I'm not sure what you're thinking, but that's not a Cortex A7 core he is talking about. He's talking about Apple's own chip named A7 like the A6 now! :/
70. aditya.k (Posts: 298; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Possible, if they get a contract of 10 years maybe? :P
11. roronoa91 (Posts: 5; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
Such a poor concept. I mean c'mon now, we all know apple doesn't care about specs. So its not suppose to be faster than any other phone except the previous iPhone. Which is normally "2x" speed boost.
14. ohiwastedmylife (Posts: 17; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
What is wrong with these people. Who spends all that time on renders for something that will never happen.
The bezel is present in phones for a few reasons. The main reason is for providing structural integrity. If you drop a phone which has a bezel it drastically improves shatter prevention and denting. The other main reason is because you physically can not hold a device without a bezel and not have navigation issues. Unless the phone included software which prevented all user inputs for a specifically defined distance along the edge of the phone, a truly bezel-less phone will never work.
16. darkkjedii (Posts: 7814; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Looks like an HTC One. I know this isn't apple concept, but please don't do this apple. It looks sloppy, and no where near the top notch design apples renowned for.
21. chistoefurpuffer (Posts: 139; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Wow... Whoever made this really has some great imagination. Sadly Apple isn't good enough at all to come up with this technology. They're hopes for Apple is too high,
92. ecmedic4 (Posts: 84; Member since: 02 May 2013)
I wouldnt be so quick to say that. Apple has amazing clout and money, and could do many many things if they so chose to. They arent spec mongers though, and know that raw specs dont mean everything in a product, software is equally important. If they wanted to hire the person that came up with this concept, i have no doubt they could. If they wanted to implement any part of this concept in the iPhone, i think they have the money and power to hire the right ppl to find a way to do it.
24. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1429; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Remove the bezel and call it innovation.
32. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3279; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Seriously, am I the only one who thinks complete edge to edge phones are ugly?
34. jibraihimi (Posts: 482; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Concept look cool, but it's not very practical........ And don't expect to see this type of spec. In iphones before the launch of iPhone 12..............
35. omarr (banned) (Posts: 149; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
iOS 7 is yet to be announced and they are talking about iOS 8 !!!
40. catt4u (Posts: 51; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)
1- Keep on dreaming; It ain't gonna happen. Not by Apple anyway that is.
2- Beside all great specs, still the ugly iOS with icons only and no widgets :(
3- Where are the stereo speakers as with the HTC One?
4- The idea to use carbon (for the backplate) and alluminium (for the chassis+housing) would be a nice thing to have for the new Samsung Galaxy Note3 though ;)
45. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
I really like your 4th point haha
42. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
This is a concept design, a dream come true, wishfull thinking, would really love to own this, but.....
Get ready to pay £900
47. fanboy1974 (Posts: 830; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Nice try but you really do need a bezel. How in the world are you going to hold it? Designing any type of case will be an issue. And with Apple repair policy changing it would be extremely difficult taking this apart without causing additional damage from all the iglue Apple uses. Plus the screen and resolution is still too small. Most important it doesn't look right.
49. Meleagru (Posts: 81; Member since: 03 Dec 2012)
If you're going to go with edge-to-edge display, put the volume buttons somewhere else. It looks horrible the way they stick out on the side. Having the back of the phone being touch sensitive would make it easier and would make the phone much more streamlined.
50. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
It's a little too far fetched.. I must say. and a BEZEL is COMPULSORY. Should this concept device has no bezel, im afraid, by just merely holding it, at its sides, the touchscreen will register your fingers, causing accidental touched.
As i said again, the aforementioned complaint i state, is because, there is no way us humans can squeeze in a 8MP camera at the FRONT..at this time...iPhone 6 will be released probably at 2015.. and maybe, the maximum it can go is 4mp... when u do a concept... you gotta make it practical too...
51. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Not sure why PhoneArena posts these "concepts" other than to stoke the comment flame wars and boost site hit counts. Just about every one of them is unrealistic and shows what someone wishes Apple would do, not something they realistically will do. If Apple were competing with anyone but itself, it would have made a 4.3" phone already.
65. darkkjedii (Posts: 7814; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Phone arena is a business, it's a tech site...rite? Tech sites and all web oriented business' rely on site traffic as Smurf said. PA is simply running a business.
82. darkkjedii (Posts: 7814; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Thumb down my comment all you want if you don't like the articles that they post, then spend your time on another site plain and simple
54. rgxVOiD (Posts: 420; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Thanks to this concept, GSIV is now a beauty
56. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5180; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Ok why bother copy Motorola edge too edge?? and its still a smaller concept phone
83. darkkjedii (Posts: 7814; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It's a concept, not made by apple. You do realize that...don't you?
105. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
Considering he specifically said "concept phone" I would say yes he does.
It's almost as if you cannot read at all.
62. amats69 (Posts: 733; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
best thing to do now is to wait for the official unveiling...ill wait and see on what will apple offer us this time. if it has the same screen size as i5 then it is a "NO" for me...if ever they increase the screen size and they have something fresh to offer to consumers... maybe...just maybe.. ill try apple..but not now, maybe someday? LOL. because im still enjoying my ANDROID HTC ONE! :)
63. amats69 (Posts: 733; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
i mean ill try iphone....coz im enjoyng my Ipad2 and Ipad mini now :)
68. Chapin (Posts: 7; Member since: 24 May 2012)
Keep dreaming apple you are not Sony or Samsung that make everything true :-)!!
94. ecmedic4 (Posts: 84; Member since: 02 May 2013)
Apple didnt come up with or design this concept, please read the article more carefully.
72. Taters (Posts: 1773; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Getting rid of the bezel entirely isn't too far fetched. In theory, the best way to do it would to use the LCD screen to create the thin bezel. For example, the entire front face could be a 5 inch screen but only 4.7 inches of the screen is seen for the app drawer and UI icon screen and the other .3 inches is dead zones but when viewing videos and photos or other applications it will use the entire 5 inches as long as you are not holding the phone or when you choose full full screen mode instead of just full screen mode.
And the best part is this method is compact and flexible. Just a 5 inch screen would be like iPhone 5 sized but slightly wider. Plus you can make a 3.5 inch or 4 inch mode if you really wanted to.
84. thehukka (Posts: 4; Member since: 12 May 2013)
every thing upgraded but not the storage???
89. JMartin22 (Posts: 400; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Why are these unrealistic and silly little fan concepts always making the site headlines as news our editorials?
90. taz89 (Posts: 1772; Member since: 03 May 2011)
imo looks ugly with no bezel, a screen, a image needs even a small bezel, its why photos etc all have frames as the frame or in this case a bezel makes the screen as the focus point
91. RapidCat (Posts: 340; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
whoever make this concept is really really drunk
102. sunnyfpy (Posts: 29; Member since: 12 May 2013)
Mission impossible for now,Iphone5 no more king!
103. stealthd (Posts: 753; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
That resolution just does not make sense at all.
109. max9777 (Posts: 55; Member since: 11 Dec 2011)
It's quite funny how every few months a new concept video is released about how perfect the next Iphone should be. Apple should really start listening to it's customers more, get several models in various sizes, so people have options.
116. YellowSmileY (Posts: 7; Member since: 10 Nov 2011)
At this rate, I'm pretty sure Samsung will reach this design "innovation" before Apple does.
117. TNesmith (Posts: 10; Member since: 05 May 2013)
I wouldn't buy an iPhone but I do have to admit that this concept is pretty damn good lookin. It does make me think though; What company will make the first TRULY bezel-less phone? Moto came pretty close with the Motorola M, and even the S4 has an extremely thin bezel.
120. jpal12 (Posts: 6; Member since: 06 May 2013)
That is ridiculous. A 2800mAH battery with two quad core SoCs running at 2.8GHz would give about 3 hours of battery, and it would have to be very thick. And the Galaxy S4 only twice as fast as the iToy 5? The snapdragon 600 model is almost 4 times as fast just because of the frequency and the cores, not mentioning how bad the swift cores are.
122. PorkyBurger (Posts: 28; Member since: 18 May 2013)
1. I am so stupid, i cant find a flash for camera, or is it that weird spot on the other way of the phone. If it is, then its, yeah, kind of far away from the rear camera.
2. Without bezel it looks, uh, i don't know, so weird! I am not used to it, and I will not. I think iPhone 5 compared to this looks a lot better.
3. Yeah, It's a great idea to create iPhone Mini concept too. I guess that is the only thing I LOVED from concept, kind of. Of course, bezel! But by the way, if it costs less than the really expensive iPhones, then it's cool, maybe I'm even buying it.
123. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Before Apple to make this 'consept' come true , Samsung must devevope and produce this dislay, and than Apple to buy it. Right?
Well, Samsung is working on that and have the smallest bezels so far on Galaxy S4.
But - for no-bezels Apple must wait .
Have in mind that Samsung are the best not only in AMOLED displays , but also in LCD technology(ask Retina iPad and iPhone)