Apple iPhone 5s users are consuming data like there's no tomorrow
0. phoneArena 22 Jan 2014, 21:44 posted on
A study done by JDSU reveals that users of the Apple iPhone 5s are consuming huge amounts of data. The study looks at data used last year in developed and developing markets, and computes how much data each phone used in comparison with a mid-range benchmark model. That model is the Apple iPhone 3G, and the amount of data it consumed last year is the benchmark used to measure the data demanded by all other models...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9689; Member since: 14 May 2012)
For the record PA, that's another bait title used just for hits. The second half of the article notes other smart phones on top of the photo at the end. This site is becoming sad.
5. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3570; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
See... Unnecessary.. That's you...
very, very, very sad...
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9689; Member since: 14 May 2012)
"The top Android model for receiving downloads in developed markets was the *****HTC Sensation,***** which downloaded 641% times the data per user as the benchmark model."
First sentence of the third paragraph, in case you missed it. You keep trying but fail in the process.
14. willard12 (Posts: 1081; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Remember back in the days when you saw and commented on an article that said Android users consume more data because Android is inefficient at running apps. Now, an article shows the iphone consumes more data and that's because "it's a workhorse for data fiends." One side=inefficient, other side = workhorse.
17. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9689; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Don't even pay attention to him. Microsoft is waving paper money in front of him to promote WP.
25. Finalflash (Posts: 2074; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
This is the Pro-Apple paradox rule 1) Apple and their products can do no wrong 2)Someone else doing what Apple's products do or are going to do is copying 3) If Apple is not currently doing it, it is bad and should not be done 4) If Apple is now doing what was derided in rule 3, it is now good but only for Apple and their products 5)...etc.
26. willard12 (Posts: 1081; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
I see. So, smart watches and large screens are bad...until Apple makes them....even though the Apple versions will likely have fewer features. And though fingerprint scanners, auto complete, slide to unlock, and gold - colored devices have existed for years, if you did it after Apple, you're a copier. I'm learning.
4. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3570; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Funny thing is that I use less than half the data since I've moved to my 1520 from my 920... Do devices really differ that much?
6. Dastrix (unregistered)
Data Sense is awesome! Saves so much data!
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9689; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Chrome actually is super light on data, especially after the new update. Thank god I don't have to worry about data caps anymore.
7. axllebeer (Posts: 268; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
So the benchmark, the iPhone 3G, is it the only 3G and not 4G phone in this lineup?! I'm not sure about all of them, but pretty sure. If that's the case, the study makes no sense.
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9689; Member since: 14 May 2012)
3G vs. 4G/LTE... Obviously a LTE device is going to consume more data than a 3G device, which really makes this study worth moot. Web traffic thirst is real.
11. 14545 (Posts: 1225; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
But 2gb sounds sooooo reasonable, right Verizon?
12. jphillips63 (Posts: 195; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I know my iPad 4 uses 2-3x more data doing exactly same stuff as I was on my moto tablet. No one seems to be able to answer why this is so either.
13. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Breakdown please? Is this from Safari? iTunes/App Store? App/game data? NSA?
15. gnotch (Posts: 19; Member since: 31 Dec 2013)
on a t-mobile unlimited plan how can you not? lol
24. quakan (Posts: 1257; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
18GB!? I take it wifi isn't an option for you?
18. hellonerds (Posts: 269; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
my note 3 eats up more data then all that combine lol....
19. skyline88 (Posts: 376; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
"Typical naive iPhone users are consuming data like there's no tomorrow"
come on PA, lets make a better story title.