Apple iPhone 5s slow motion camera feature inspires video art
0. phoneArena 30 Sep 2013, 08:37 posted on
One of the best new features of the Apple iPhone 5s is its support for slow motion videos in a beautiful 720p HD resolution. You don’t have to slow down the whole video…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. sojizy (Posts: 25; Member since: 30 Aug 2008)
I think this is a killer feature of the iPhone and I'm looking forward to Android doing something similar. Had a friend at work try it and my video was just too cool
23. kareivis (Posts: 34; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
Slow motion video feature was in my HTC One S 1,5 years ago.
28. rainingday007 (Posts: 5; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
we all knew it. but how does it look?XD
30. kareivis (Posts: 34; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
He just wondered, when anyone else is going to include that feature, and i replied.
Of course, quality is not coparable with this one, but it is 1,5 year old hardware.
Stil, counts as slow motion! ;)
77. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
120 FPS at 720p? No. it didn't. Neither does any other phone that i know of.
84. Ant34 (Posts: 193; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
For some reason the international version of the S4 with the exynos processor (i9500) does 120 FPS @ 720P which is the phone I have. All other variants use a lower resolution. You can get 720P on other variants by downloading the i9500 camera apk and and placing it in the system directory. You need to be rooted to access the system files.
93. kareivis (Posts: 34; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
I never said, that One S did 720p @ 120 fps, i just said, that slow motion video was available in Android phones a while ago, just to clear myth, that Apple created something never seen before.
29. LionStone (Posts: 539; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
HTC DROID DNA...10 mos ago... and you know that combination yellow/white flash for the camera, yea, it already has that too :-)
36. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
It exist on Galaxy S4(Galaxy Note 3) too, , but as we know , if something doesn't exist on Apple's product IT DOESN'T EXIST AT ALL.
Because the all so called "tech media" are iboys/girls and use only apple's products. How could they find out what is on the other products(if they review non-apple products, they are disgusted to dig inside the features)? Even if they find out, but Apple naven't it yet, they will hate it, and call it "gimmicky". And it will NEVER "inspires art" as the Apple's products do.
70. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
After Apple puts NFC on an iphone its going to explode and be everywhere.
79. rasinhussy (Posts: 87; Member since: 28 Dec 2008)
I'd be surprised if Apple adopts NFC.
Also, If Android has a bigger worldwide marketshare, then why hasn't NFC gained that same marketshare?
In my opinion, I think NFC is great for certain uses, but I think is dying on the consumer side of things.
82. Ant34 (Posts: 193; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
I've seen a couple of sites compare the slow motion video capture of the Galaxy S4 to the HTC One. Both phones have it but like you said - If it's not on the iPhone it doesn't exist.
42. androiphone20 (Posts: 1602; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
it the peasants won't stop complaining "my galaxy s(slow) 4 can do that too
44. Daboss (Posts: 42; Member since: 27 Sep 2013)
You guys won't just admit that the iPhone 5s is on the smartphone throne. It totally screwed over the Android king (sg note 3) on benchmarks.
68. Astoni (Posts: 616; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
The Exynos yes, But as far as i've seen on every single benchmark All phones that carries the Snapdragon 800 gets from 10-25% better benchmarkings and the note 3 got about 30% :p.
91. ecmedic4 (Posts: 213; Member since: 02 May 2013)
The Apple haters only cite benchmarks when they are in their favor. They wont accept the 5S done very well in benchmarks and will come up with any excuse they can to cry foul on the results. Its funny how they used to always cite benchmarks that Android phones scored, but then when the iPhone scores highest, suddenly benchmarks dont matter or they are flawed or some other BS.
94. Astoni (Posts: 616; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
I have nothing against apple :p
To me Benchmarks show much Powerful a device can be, and that is an important part if you'd like to Code or create diffrent stuff for a phone.
The iphone 5s's Dual-core CPU is very very powerful.
If it went Quad (but it has no need for that) it would be the single greatest device no doubt with about 5% since adding 2 cores dosn't really make a phone 2x as powerful (it dosn't work that way).
46. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1693; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
61. theaztech (unregistered)
another clueless person. Androids have had slow motion capabilites dating to about 2 years ago.
62. rdemon (Posts: 46; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Killer feature. My GS4 has that already are you kidding me. Please kill yourself right now.
71. JC557 (Posts: 1227; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
The LG G2 has it, I think the HTC One has it as well.
I've been playing around with it on my GoPro Hero3 Black and Sony Action Cam so it's nothing really new but it's a nice effect to have on the go.
2. Ninetysix (Posts: 1837; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
I have this on my S4 (fast motion and slow motion). Haven't used it yet though.
4. noler (Posts: 216; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
No, you do not have it but you can keep dreaming about it.
6. Ninetysix (Posts: 1837; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Guess my dream came true. What say you broseph.
9. noler (Posts: 216; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
LOL you're funny, slow video is NOT slow motion video!
You need a 120fps and not 30/60fps for a good slow motion video but you can still keep dreaming about it.
12. tedkord (Posts: 6423; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Do some basic research before making a fool of yourself.
17. noler (Posts: 216; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
You funny too :)
S4 can do 1080p 30fps, 720P 60fps, 480p 120fps and probably 360p 240fps.
Almost any phone that can do 1080p 30fps can also do 480p 120fps but the iphone 5s can do 720P 120fps !!!
31. tedkord (Posts: 6423; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Keep backpedaling. You said the GS4 didn't have 120fps slow motion video recording. You were wrong. So you tried to make it about resolution.
So, the iPhone records video in a resolution it can't even play? Awesome!
37. noler (Posts: 216; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
If you insist I will correct myself.
iphone 5s can do 120fps High quality slow motion and the S4 can can do 120fps Low quality slow motion. Now is better??
So what you say, 13MP S4 camera completely unnecessary because you can not display an image in this size on the S4 1080P screen? Do not be ridiculous!
64. tedkord (Posts: 6423; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Yes, the iphone record in 720p - then damn scales it to 640p for you to watch. Awesome!
67. noler (Posts: 216; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
640p is still better than 480p! and you can still watch it on 46" TV in 720p and not in Low quality 480p.
Maybe next year Samsung and Andorid will do it, cross your fingers.
73. tedkord (Posts: 6423; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
And maybe next year the iPhone will be able to show HD video like Android offices have for the past year.
Apple copies a feature (well, all features with iOS 7) and you get all excited.
72. JC557 (Posts: 1227; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
err, my sony action cam and Gopro would disagree.
14. ddeath (Posts: 167; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
And already had it on Note 2 since last year, though it is only 480p. :)
27. boosook (Posts: 1207; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
You don't understand... if it's not on the iphone, it doesn't exist. When it comes to the iphone, Jobs invented it. Even if he's dead.
For example, SonyEricsson users had the Panorama feature one year before it came to stock Android and iOS, yet when it was implemented on the iphone everyone was saying "oh, Apple invented panorama!"...
10. tedkord (Posts: 6423; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Yes, he does. And he had it before the iPhone did.
25. tryingHARD (Posts: 64; Member since: 31 Dec 2012)
4 times slower and lagger. I hate it! But i cant afford to buy this beautiful 5s. But no one buys or tried to negotiate to buy my s(slow)4.
52. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Nah. Never experienced any lags on my S4 since 2 months ago when I bought it. Well, based on my research about i5S, It is experiencing Lags I think because of iOS7. S4 is better.
53. hortizano (Posts: 136; Member since: 22 May 2013)
But in order to sell it you need to change your publicity stunt.. no one is going to want a device you keep calling s(slow)4... just a friendly opinion.. =) And i hope you can get your iP5.. =D
And by the way, I have an S4.. hasn't lagged a bit in just over 4 months... just sayin'
59. tryingHARD (Posts: 64; Member since: 31 Dec 2012)
Dont fool yourselves guys. I will post a video that i cant even answer calls due to lag/almost freezing. As if i can sell my phone here. Of course i will tell my possible buyer that s4 is the best. I will lie if i have to. Cant wait......
65. bucky (Posts: 1783; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
I had the s4 as well and anyone who says it doesn't lag a lot is lying.
Lag aside though, the phone is great.
85. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Hortizano, You're right. I wonder where did those info came from about that Lag in S4, I mean seriously. I Used it for downloading documents in my email, playing HD Games, multi tasking. I'm just stating my experienced in my S4. Please Samsung Haters don't hate for this.
87. tryingHARD (Posts: 64; Member since: 31 Dec 2012)
I am not fanboy to anything. I am open to any phone. But the trouble i got in when i experience unanswered calls is very annoying. When someone calls, my s4 octa core freezes. I cant slide to answer. The screen is not functioning. Is there anyone experiencing it as well? Or is it just me?
88. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
tryingHARD, I See. Well Dude, I Know a lot of people who uses S4 from my Friends and officemates and none of them ever experienced that bug in calls you had. Hmmm. Is that a Brand new phone or you Just bought it to someone? If you got it from a carrier, you may call their customer service department to help you, if you got it off contract you can go to any Samsung Support center. they will definitely fixed that as long as you have their official receipt.
92. tryingHARD (Posts: 64; Member since: 31 Dec 2012)
I bought it in a mall here in dubai. I only use prepaid simcards. So i just had the worst luck when i purchased this phone.
69. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Both are 200 on contract, so.... Try harder
3. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
I don't think life should ever be slowed down in any way - we must live life to the fullest and welcome new and exciting adventures. Sorry, I can't be inspired by slo-mo' video or any other Apple gimmick. Want life slower: take a valium.
11. tedkord (Posts: 6423; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Why would anyone be envious of a feature Apple copied from the Samsung Galaxy S4?
21. noler (Posts: 216; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
Your Samsung Galaxy S4 can do 720P 120fps videos?
32. tedkord (Posts: 6423; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I don't have an S4.
Your iPhone 5s can show video at 720p?
40. noler (Posts: 216; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
I don't have an iPhone 5s.
My phone can but I prefer to watch videos on 46" sony bravia.
41. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Because everyone carries their 46" TV around on in their pocket just in case they want to watch a video... Such a practical rebuttal of his statement there.
The point that tedkord was making that even if you wanted to your iPhone(no matter what model)can't do it.
43. noler (Posts: 216; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
The iphone 5s can not do a lot of things that my phone can do but what's your point?
74. tedkord (Posts: 6423; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I prefer to watch them in 1080p on my 55 inch LG.