Apple iPhone 5s is the fastest smartphone according to benchmark tests
0. phoneArena 19 Oct 2013, 16:52 posted on
Just which smartphone is the fastest? According to Which magazines independent speed test, the Apple iPhone 5s beat out rivals like the Samsung Galaxy S4 to earn the title as the world's fastest smartphone using the Geekbench benchmark tests; in single-core testing, the full-featured iPhone had a huge margin over the LG G2, the second place finisher. The Samsung Galaxy S4 was third...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. darkkjedii (Posts: 14460; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Well it's not surprising news as the 5S is super fast, but where's the note 3? That's an awfully fast piece of tech too. Anyways good job apple, work out the kinks and the 5S is pretty much perfect
5. darkkjedii (Posts: 14460; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Even if it beat the 5s, second fastest is all good. This stuff only matters to people sitting by each other doing speed tests. Otherwise not
23. criticism (Posts: 46; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
FASTEST processor of 2013 inside the SMALLEST flagship of this year!!! What would be the benefit of this superprocessor when the display resolution and size is not suitable for game, surfing... I prefer Note 3!
40. c.sonnen (Posts: 37; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
Its like a fastest processor on a windows 98 and on a smallest crt monitor.. 5s needs that 4inch display and and not even a fhd resolution for their 720p(downscaled to 480p) slowmo videos so the people wont notice it..liars
66. darkkjedii (Posts: 14460; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You sound butthurt. I recommend Preparation H
128. werthedroids (Posts: 60; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
And u sound like u can't handle the truth about the brand u worship
75. apple4never (Posts: 1026; Member since: 08 May 2013)
pssht might as well carry a tv in your pocket with an alienware aurora, nice big display and a good screen to boot
140. Tommy1960i (Posts: 105; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
Android smartphones are big not because they wanted to give us big screens!!! They just couldn't fit a nice processor, an elephant size battery and so on to be able to run android. iPhones are amazing because the are more powerful than any other smartphones but have the size of 1/3 of S4 or G2. Imagine a 5 inch iPhone!!! It will be a beast and we will be playing full games but android will barely run his native mobile games. :)
141. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 1840; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Actually, there are quite a few models who have great specs and battery in a device with smaller screen. So you're arguments make no sense at all.
And why would a 5 inch iPhone be a beast? Suddenly their processor needs to handle a bigger screen and more pixels.
46. Tsoliades (Posts: 216; Member since: 22 Dec 2012)
This is the way you should be, not like some of those other raging fanboys.
Good job, man. :]
67. darkkjedii (Posts: 14460; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Thanx man +1. It's just not that serious lol
94. Muzhhur (Posts: 256; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Agree. It must be the fastest but all people are diferent
12. CreeDiddy (Posts: 483; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
Note 3 results
864 single core
2124 multi core
18. tedkord (Posts: 6509; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Note 3 results
933 single core
2802 multi core
Not so much
33. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
Show me your multi threaded apps lol. Single core score is king.
58. vincelongman (Posts: 2375; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Woah, the Note 3 is about as fast as computers from 2009
76. Ninetysix (Posts: 1842; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Woah, rename Geekbench to Beekgench and watch the Note 3 drop its score by 20-50%.
boosting code sample:
arrayOfPackageInfo = new PackageInfo("ca.primatelabs.geekbench2", false);
90. tedkord (Posts: 6509; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Average gain, as found by anandtech, was between 0% and 4%. They even stated that the priming wasn't worth the effort they put into it.
96. vincelongman (Posts: 2375; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I guess it would drop to the Xperia Z1 (Sony weren't found to be boosting their benchmarks), which got 2700, still crazy fast.
59. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
How about gnote 3 with ios software and or iPhone 5s with android software, vice versa. Comparing with the same software is better.
24. jove39 (Posts: 1415; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Doesn't matter, if you compare single core scores, Note3 will lose...A7's cyclone core would keep the crown until we see next gen cores (A57 based) in Snapdraggon, Exynos and Tegra.
27. tedkord (Posts: 6509; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Single core. My GS3 uses both cores in nearly any situation.
35. jove39 (Posts: 1415; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I am just highlighting performance of cyclone vs krait400 core...in daily use S800 and A7 performance will be very similar.
55. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1041; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
But you still have to take something in account here, the cyclone cores are much bigger in die size than normal cores, the A7's dual core occupies the same die space roughly as the quad A15s in the Exynos 5410.
82. jove39 (Posts: 1415; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
That's because cyclone core is 64 bit...all registers are probably of double size (64bit).
37. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Ios and android are coded much differently than windows. The difference between multithreading in most programs for making apps is just checking marking a box to build the app as multithreaded.
51. Finalflash (Posts: 2074; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Doesn't matter, Note 3 would either match or marginally beat the iPhone, which wouldn't matter in the end because it really doesn't. The fact that the article states that anything feels snappier than the other in the top 10 is retarded because opening apps will be limited by the SSD with the kind of processing power that is available. The only place it matters is in high end gaming and they all about equal out in that regard. I don't know why they even measure CPU performance anyway as a means of overall device performance.
106. Luuthian (Posts: 222; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Thank you, exactly. The speed wars are essentially over.
While the iPhone 5 and up are definitely a speed of their own, Android is doing just equally fine when not bloated with crap.
There's absolutely no point in measuring these speeds when apps aren't taking advantage of them anyways. The major benefit of the iPhone is that app deveolpers can hit more specific targets with optimization. Android has so many model differences that developing for anything outside of Qualcomm chips is difficult, and then even more so with resolution differences.
8. GeekyGene (Posts: 88; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
Isn't the Note 3 running a Snapdragon 800? So basically whats in the G2.
124. night_elf (Posts: 41; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
They are not the same, Note 3 has a score of 2809! So Note 3 is the fastes of all! Once again, lies are spread in favor of iPhone :)
125. Ninetysix (Posts: 1842; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Oh the irony. At least you put lies and Note 3 on the same line so it's all good.
132. GeekyGene (Posts: 88; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
They are the same you numpty.... They both use the Snapdragon 800. The reason your beloved Note 3 gets a score of 2809 is because Samsung have a white list of programs specifically for benchmark apps (its been found, it has benchmark apps on it ONLY).
You will never see that performance in any use outside of those benchmarks. I mean ask yourself this, if their 'tweaks' for benchmarks were so legit, why not include them for all apps that require such high performance? ... yeah. Exactly.
15. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4166; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The Note 3 has the same chip as the G2, so I can see why it's left out. The Snapdragon 800 and Exynos 5420 perform similarly as well.
133. GeekyGene (Posts: 88; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
Going to go out on a limb and assume that they left the Note 3 out because its not really a smartphone. It's a phablet.
Also as you pointed out, the G2 runs the same Snapdragon 800 anyway. So its essentially the same result, without Samsung's "optimization".
142. Apian (Posts: 8; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Z1 f Too Great Man,.
Phone arena Not Getting payment by Apple if he include Xperia Z1f..
because z1 f the winner
120. MobileKicker (Posts: 212; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
iphone are very fast
The thing I love about apple
Even iPhone 4S is faster than galaxy s4
131. wildfiregt (Posts: 118; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
the first iPhone is faster than the Note 3
138. Droiderr (Posts: 32; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Wow... That sounds like a real fanboy. Thats same as saying that my 21" CRT TV has the same picture quality as my 42" 3d LED
127. werthedroids (Posts: 60; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
1st Samsung made the chip 2nd super fast because the OS is so feature-deprived and locked down. What is there to run/render/process. Icons? Please. And FYI, I did play with a 5Same in store and the animation are WAAAY Too long, and sometimes a bit jittery, and guess what; you can't change that. On android you can change the animation speed, scale, etc.. It takes more time to do what you want to do, so in a way, it's actually slower. Kinks? You mean giant gaping holes? Perfect phone if those are straightened out? For a noob, sure. For those who have a little more than empty space between our ears? FAR from it.
137. Trex95 (Posts: 647; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Touchwiz and bloatware kills Note 3 plus cheating benchmark that increase performance by 10% to 30%. In fact Note 3, G2 and Xperia Z1 has the same performance but G2 in gaming performance and low light video still not that great guess what Xperia Z1 in terms of performance still better than both phones!
2. DAMONORIBELLO (Posts: 104; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Who is this Apple that everyone is talking about?
48. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I also ask the iMedia same question.
Every day 99% of the articles - Apple related. And all of them iBS. Nice job PArena.
Well, I agree that the lame iphone need it so badly, but.......don't you PA have some self respect?
If Samsung put this "great"(made by Samsung, on Exynos process) A7 chip inside Note 3 to make the same productivity- Note 3 will die.
52. joey_sfb (Posts: 3964; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
You are right is not an Apple to Apple comparison. If you ever run an benchmark program on a PC before you would know that the same PC will give more point to lower resolution 1024x786 vs a higher resolution 1920x1080.
Other factors such as OS version, Vista vs Windows 7 vs Windows 8 would also affect the score for same piece of hardware. In this case Android multi functional interface vs basic iOS interface; Android true multi-tasking capability vs iOS form of multi-tasking.
Most Apple fan i know are non greek and everyone of them just want to hear they have the best phone which is the whole point of this article is to make Apple iPhone 5s look good and to me it really good if you want a 4" phone.
Myself and a lot of people has already went pass the point of wanting a 4" lower resolution phone period.
111. rodkurt (Posts: 128; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
Samsung supplies the processors of those Apple right? So i guess we give a hand to Samsung for making the fastest smartphone's processor. :D
119. Ninetysix (Posts: 1842; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
TSMC supplies the processors of those Samsung, Sony, HTC, Nokia, nameyourothercompanyhere right? So i guess we give a hand to TSMC for making the semi fastest smartphone's processor (S800).
139. Droiderr (Posts: 32; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Well, i wouldnt know as think it has rotten away few years back. :-)
4. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3570; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I wonder how the 5s holds up compared to a NL 920, 925, 928, or 1020?.. WP is well known for it's speed, and optimization between the hardware, and software... I bet they didn't even include a WP device.. This test doesn't mean anything unless they include all of the best high end devices...
16. illusionmist (Posts: 135; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
WP is smooth, not fast. (At least true for the current devices, which still run on previous generation of Snapdragon.)
And they didn't include WP because there's no Geekbench app on it.
49. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3570; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
How do you figure it's not fast❔ I've compared my NL920 to all of these phones and it holds its own pretty,, very well❕ I'm just wondering what the benchmark would say.. When was the last time you compared the speed of the 920, 925, 928, or 1020 to your device❔ You'd think they were running on quad core processors.. Nevertheless, I know these are benchmark test, and that doesn't always translate into apps opening faster, or screens changing faster.. But, it would be interesting to see where these WP devices stand next to their direct competitors.. Even more interesting would be to see how the 1520, with it's Snapdragon 800, compare's..
110. illusionmist (Posts: 135; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
I played with my friend's Lumia 925 last week. Took way too long processing photos (Smart Camera), etc. Resuming apps is kind of slow as well.
122. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1273; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
The results for WP are normally pretty awful in benchmarks as they used for now a quite dated CPU hardware. Even the latest Lumia 1020 uses just a Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon, dual core Krait 200 at 1.5 GHz.
So in most reviews don´t even bother to test the HW as the results are really bad and make the phone look worse that it is. This is one of the few I found where they did, you can yourself, but be prepared for some big disspointment:
6. imeubeu (Posts: 59; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
i only care about the phone i like...an there's a reason why i like it...don't care about a test
126. imeubeu (Posts: 59; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
it's amazing how the #2 comment has 32+ comments above it...comment hijacking going on
7. .AppleJack (Posts: 21; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
C'mon is the first with a 64 bts processor that makes kinda sense :/
9. twens (Posts: 827; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
The note 3 is not a phone. It's a phablet and it's good it has been left out. Too bad the iPhone kicked the Ass of the go g2 and s4. G2 am much disappointed since it parks s800. Note 3 on geek bench 3 scores 3000 which blows the iPhone 5s out of the water. What I don't get is how is the g2 getting lower scores. Even the exynos in my note 3 gets 2890 on geek bench.
17. GeekyGene (Posts: 88; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
Because Samsung ""optimizes"" for benchmarks.