Apple iPhone 5S new images appear, compare it with current iPhone 5
There are some slight differences, though. The cutout for the camera LED flashlights is larger, just enough to fit the dual LED light. Not just that, but attachment points for the motherboard are now also placed differently and unsurprisingly they fit earlier leaked images of the iPhone 5S motherboard.
All the pieces seem to fall perfectly within each other as the iPhone 5S puzzle gets slowly but surely unveiled.
You can see all the tiny differences between the current iPhone 5 and the leaked parts for the iPhone 5S, and we welcome you to post your own thoughts on it as you examine them.
Apple iPhone 5S new images appear, compare it with current iPhone 5
16. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5493; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
In the same places as it was on iPhone 5.
3. sonisoe (Posts: 332; Member since: 06 May 2009)
the device should already be in production now that the announcement is 4 weeks away, so while it may be similar to iphone 5, i still like to see a leaked 5s
4. tiara6918 (Posts: 1492; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
There's barely any difference with the design. The 5s is probably just a minor update of the 5. Just like the 4 and 4s
12. illusionmist (Posts: 124; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
"Minor." Because spec bumps, camera upgrades, and possible brand-new technologies mean nothing. Sure.
55. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s both will run IOS, the differences will be not worth the upgrade because they will do the exact same thing.
63. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
If you have a 4S, then the DIFFERENCE is so huge, then you will see massive upgrades, just like iPhone 4 users upgrading to the iPhone 5.
68. roscuthiii (Posts: 1859; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Yeah... people seem to overlook the fact that not every iteration of a phone is meant to get everyone who has a device of that branding to go out and upgrade. While an upgrade to the 5S from the 5 may not be as necessary, anyone with 4S and below will certainly see huge gains to be had.
I guess that can be said for any line of devices though really. Damned buyer's remorse.
73. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Yes but it'll do everything better. And more. The whole point of the word 'upgrade'. Be it Nokia, Samsung, HTC or Sony. And just BTW, not everyone buying this phone has an iPhone 5 already, so yeah, it's a pretty huge upgrade for them. You should treat yourself to one too. You'll know why they sell in millions. Specs are not everything bro, It's the user experience and the quality of the product that counts.
75. darkkjedii (Posts: 12348; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Only an intelligent mind like ours will understand that. Fanboys lack that ability, and see only specs. How many benchmarks, and quadrant standards can you run, before you just want to enjoy the experience of your device. +1
78. darkkjedii (Posts: 12348; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
And I mean just that "fanboys" not techies. There's a difference between Tedkord, WhateverMan, Mxy, myself, and RoyalPayne vs Dorothy69, Troll, PAPINYC, and EclipseGSX. the last 4 classic trouble making fanboys.
14. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3998; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
You mean like the Galaxy 4 was only a minor update to the S3?
26. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5493; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Maybe visual design of Samsung Galaxy S 4 was just a minor update of Samsung Galaxy S 3, but not hardware.
35. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5493; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
S3 screen size is: 4.8" (~306 ppi pixel density)
S4 screen size is: 5" (~441 ppi pixel density)
S3 resolution is: 720 x 1280
S4 resolution is: 1080 x 1920
S3 use: Gorilla Glass 2
S4 use: Gorilla Glass 3
S3 RAM: 1GB (Exynos version)
S4 RAM: 2GB (Exynos version)
S3 primary camera: 8MP
S4 primary camera: 13MP
S3 secondary camera: 1.9MP (720p)
S4 secondary camera: 2MP (1080p)
S3 CPU frequency: 1.4 GHz (Exynos version)
S4 CPU frequency: 1.6 GHz (Exynos version)
S3 GPU: Mali-400MP
S4 GPU: PowerVR SGX 544MP3
S3 battery capacity: 2100 mAh
S4 battery capacity: 2600 mAh
And you say that it was just a minor update?
If you were serious by saying "It was an overall minor update.", then you have no clue in tech. And if you realize that it was not just a "minor update", but still say taht it was, then try to troll harder.
36. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2550; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
+1000. Anyone who thinks the S4 is just a minor update to the S3 either hates Samsung or just wasn't paying attention. Bigger upgrade than going from the original S to the S2.
38. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1161; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
when we say minor update, we say similar design
64. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Unfortunate, the market doesn't agree with your views.
Used S4's are going on sale for $29.99 at AT&T on contract.
Remembers, OPINIONS are not FACTS. If the S4 was so effen amazing, then the dirt cheap price? When in doubt look at what the market is saying.
66. av911 (Posts: 149; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Great job of using the price of a refurbished product as a benchmark as to how the product is doing.
67. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5493; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I'm sure that g2a5b0e was talking about hardware updates, not about the sales.
80. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
"Used." Everything after that was completely ignored.
89. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2550; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
The S4 is the fastest selling Android phone of all-time, faster thus far than the S3. And did you really just quote a used price? You lost all credibility there.
37. kozza3 (Posts: 574; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
thank you for taking the time to post this excellent work
40. darkkjedii (Posts: 12348; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It was an overall minor update. Didn't need you to give me the specs, already new em. That's why I said its an overall minor update. Sorry you wasted your time typing all that. In the famous words of Samsungs apple diss ad "awww man it looks just like last years model".
43. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5493; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
How it can be a minor update if all departments was updated?
49. tedkord (Posts: 5099; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
But much less minor than an Apple Xs update. Bigger screen, higher res, different form factor. All those stay exactly the same on an iPhone S.
41. stealthd (Posts: 973; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
That is a minor upgrade. Do those upgrades allow you to do anything the previous phone couldn't do? Taking every component and giving it a little boost is the bare minimum with a new phone, not a huge upgrade. If you buy phones based just on specs "then you have no clue in tech".
45. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5493; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
If you can't see any difference between S3 and S4 and call it just a minor update, then you have no clue in tech. ;)
46. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2550; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I wouldn't even trip. Some people expect every model year to look absolutely different. That's just unrealistic.
57. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
HTC One vs HTC DNA = the HTC One was a smaller upgrade than the s4 was to the s3. The camera was a dowgrade overall, the gpu is the same, the snapdragon 600 is basically a glorified s4 pro, screen is same, both had 2gb ram, etc.
50. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1638; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
In that case every iPhone is a minor upgrade :)
71. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
S3 Lags and creaks
S4 Lags and creaks
S3 Hangs and freezes
S4 Hangs and freezes
S3 Overheats and dead pixels on screen
S4 Overheats and dead pixels on screen
Want Android? Go for HTC One.
77. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5493; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
What it has to do with my comment #35 ?
86. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
The fact that user experience stays the same, i.e. a troubled device, so its not really an upgrade. Apple always betters their device, the end user experience, without getting into spec wars. If you really think a company like Apple can't make a FHD octa-core 5.0 inch screen phone, you're trippin'. The fact is, no phone and no phone OS needs specs like that to run fluently if the software is optimized. Specs are always the easy way out for a company to sell their devices. They don't really matter much if your hardware is optimized with software. Look at MotoX for reference. And if you think they do, then my friend, YOU really have no clue about tech.
88. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5493; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
First of all my comment #35 was just a pure comparison between S3 and S4 showing that there was an hardware update. And I don't understand why you try to poke your propaganda and other manufacturers in to my comment since it is off-topic to my comment.
Talking about Motorola Moto X, Motorola Moto X is assembled in U.S. and Americans are not working for low payment as Asian workers does and it automatically lifts the price tag. And it is one of the main reasons why Motorola Moto X use yesterdays hardware because in such way Motorola can lower product's price. And all this new trend of lower specs awesomeness is just a Motorola's propaganda (the way to compensate high price tag). In reality Motorola Moto X is just a mid-range device for average user. (My opinion!)
90. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
But by that sense, comparing iPhone to any other phone is off topic. iOS and Android are different beasts, you cannot compare them by this logic can you?
48. tedkord (Posts: 5099; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
But much less minor than the typical Apple Xs update. Bigger screen, higher res, slimmer width in addition to the usual spec bump.
But here's the difference between us and you. When Samsung announced the S4, we expressed disappointment. When Apple releases basically the exact same phone, you swoon and fawn over it.
61. networkdood (Posts: 6303; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
+100, typical ifans go nuts over the ordinary, we want it much better, which is why we were a little disappointed with how the s4 was, but still an excellent choice.
65. Taters (Posts: 3510; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
People that call out Samsung for even remotely being guilty of this has a serious problem. There were way more differences between the Galaxy S2 i9100 and the GS2 HD LTE than any Apple product and they were both GS2's.
As far as the GS4 only being a minor update, well the screen and shape of the phone alone kills that argument completely and we don't even have to discuss the other differences.
One is the shape of a bar of soap and the other is more rectangular. Not to mention one has a smaller screen and one has a bigger screen. The A tards are really reaching here.
23. darkkjedii (Posts: 12348; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Tiara read, and respond to post #14 please...+1 Mxy
21. zuckerboy (banned) (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
apple trolling us every september :D
42. stealthd (Posts: 973; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Right, because upgrading everything on the inside apparently doesn't count if the outside doesn't change.
52. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1638; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Everything? Please all "s" model upgrades are so minor and you know it. Quit playin
11. darkkjedii (Posts: 12348; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
C'mon apple lets get this great fall lineup out, and into my hands. I have money for you to take.
15. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3998; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I agree. Apple just shut up and take my money.
29. joey_sfb (Posts: 3091; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Apple would gladly take all you have to give. Their lawsuit are getting expensive with no noticeable gain for them. Android still alive and kicking!
33. darkkjedii (Posts: 12348; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
And I'll be in line to give it. +1 for your effort, but its to no avail.
47. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1638; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
OMG DUAL LEDS...SHUTUP AND TAKE MY MONEY. You guys are pathetic.
53. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1638; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Anytime BRO. At least you realize it :)
60. darkkjedii (Posts: 12348; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yeah I realize how excellent of a device it is :)
70. tedkord (Posts: 5099; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I don't want to pick a fight with you dj, I don't consider you a troll like mxy - so please take this with the respect I intend.
How can you know an unannounced, unreleased phone is great? I know I'm interested in a device based on rumors and leaks, but I don't know until I've read reviews and tried it myself if I want it, or if it's good. (That's why I never buy on release day, or even close to it)
76. darkkjedii (Posts: 12348; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's true Ted. Most of us make our predictions, and set our expectations based on brand recognition. We say the s4 will be great, cuz the s3 was. We say the 5S will be great, cuz the 5 was. I'm just the opposite of you bro, I usually by on day one due to the possibility of not being able to get one for weeks. It's bitten me a couple times too. We actually don't, and won't know if its good until we get it, 100% agreed. That said, I don't think apple or Samsung will make bad high end devices, they simply. Have too much R&D dollars to do so. Bugs will be there for sure, and lag "on both", but overall you can consistently count on those two to nail it.
81. tedkord (Posts: 5099; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Here is what I find incomprehensible about rabid Apple fans - and I know a couple. When they picked up the iPhone 5 last year, they already knew they were buying the 5s or 6 next. No idea how those will be, no idea what else will be available. All that matters is that it's Apple. That's just absurd.
87. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
It's not absurd. We are not blind. I hated the iPhone up until the 4. Then i actually used one. Its a brilliant device and it shows the company really worked their ass off to perfect the device. To be honest, I'd pick Meego over iOS, but Meego's dead. Only other option being the iPhone. I'm no fanboy or blindly follow Apple. You have to use their product to know why people love them and know what they are gonna get next year too.