Apple iPhone 5S in-store screen replacements to grace US customers with broken displays
0. phoneArena 05 Aug 2014, 09:11 posted on
Broke an iPhone 5S screen recently? Apple Insider reports that as of Monday, some Apple stores in the USA have begun doing on-site iPhone 5S screen replacements for customers. It is said damaged displays could be repaired in as little as an hour...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. FeloniousBoxer (Posts: 14; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
I had mine replaced for $75 locally. $149 is a rip off in my opinion.
3. Finalflash (Posts: 2792; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
It will be a deal when they put sapphire screens in there....that are just as prone to breaking....but largely irreplaceable without Apple.
4. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 2747; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Good thing they have geniuses working in their stores who can change a screen in store....
5. Ninetysix (Posts: 2340; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
How fast can you get a screen replaced in that Microsoft or Google store?
6. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 2747; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
There aren't any Google stores. When it comes to my own smartphones, I replace them myself. Still doesn't take a genius to operate the machine, since it does it automatically. Also Netherlands only has 3 Apple stores in the entire country. So I rather would do it myself. But when I go to a local smartphone shop, they can do any smartphone replacement as well.
7. Ninetysix (Posts: 2340; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Efficiency and convinience comes with a hefty price. Not everyone's willing to follow a step by step guide from ifixit.
8. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 2747; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
True :) Although replacing a screen on an iPhone 4(s) isn't that time consuming. Since most of our 130 iPhones at work are out of warranty, we replace them ourselves when the screens are broken.
9. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Yes, changing out a screen takes maybe 45 min. Like you mentioned earlier, the hard part is finding a Apple Store that's less than 3 hours away! Plus they can't guarantee availability so you better call before you waste your day. There are 21 States with 1 or 2 Apple stores, that doesn't seem very efficient or convenient if you ask me. Square Trade would be a better option since it would cover more than just a broken screen.
10. zig8100 (Posts: 227; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
They only did it because people were switching to Samsung instead of fixing their phones for 200 bucks and waiting a week to get it back. 200 bucks gets you a better phone instead of sticking with the same old tired 5s.