Apple iPhone 5 reportedly kills Chinese woman
0. phoneArena 14 Jul 2013, 14:15 posted on
According to a story reported by two publications in China, 23 year old Ma Ai Lun died when she answered a call on her Apple iPhone 5 while it was recharging; details are sketchy and some of the information loses meaning in translation, but it appears that news of the death was originally reported on "Ueybo" which is China's equivalent of Twitter...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. SamsungNewbie (Posts: 30; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Such a beautiful young woman killed too early :( this could theoretically happen with any electronic device so please don't turn this into a bashing fest, you all are better than that. Prayers for her family and fiancé.
41. vincelongman (Posts: 4520; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Exactly, too many people were bashing Samsung when those 2 people's battery exploded. I've read articles about the S3, Note II, iPhone 5 and 4S and HTC One X battery exploding, I'm sure there's several more I haven't read. Millions of phones are sold, there are unfortunately a hand fill of faulty phones. This is a problem for all companies.
But I haven't read any of any 2013 phones with these problems, I hope it stays that way :)
44. SamsungNewbie (Posts: 30; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Hopefully the s5 will be free of this problem as well when my upgrade is ready :-)
66. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
copysung batteries exploded when they are idle, it's been strictly instructed no to answer the call while it's charging ....
53. darkkjedii (Posts: 21698; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
+1 SN, too bad some people have nothing better to do.
4. SamsungNewbie (Posts: 30; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Don't turn that into this. A woman dies and all you can think of is bashing. This could happen with any faulty phone, tablet, or handheld electronic device. If it were HTC or Samsung, what would you say?
25. vandroid (Posts: 328; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
Her surroundings could be a factor to the voltage
86. spideyhead256 (Posts: 148; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
yes,maybe a high voltage current? and sorry if i may be wrong,with the iphone being made completely out of aluminium wouldn't it be a good conducter of electricity? :| although a young woman like this didn't deserve to die.can't imagine the heartache her fiance might be going through.
3. stealthd (unregistered)
I wonder if this was an actual iPhone 5 or a knockoff.
16. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
it can be both , even a real iPhone can cause a lot of injury and even death in this case , there have been a few emergency landings of aircraft after iphones blew their backplates off during mid flight
75. jedpatrickdatu (Posts: 167; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
Yes, or it could be that her battery or charger is a knockoff.
5. toiletcleaner (Posts: 224; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
Iphone is going to kill you guys, stop the *Ikill*
6. AsisHaas (Posts: 42; Member since: 14 Jul 2013)
I get electrocuted when charging my iPhone 4 , Can't believe it happen to others.
Anyone know why is this happen? always happen when iphone get charged.
7. SamsungNewbie (Posts: 30; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Faulty phone perhaps. I had a LG Rumor that would occasionally zap me, sent it to sprint and they found faulty wiring.
9. AsisHaas (Posts: 42; Member since: 14 Jul 2013)
I use a bumper to avoid from electrocuted . So it safe now to hold my iphone while it was charging. it's very dangerous.
I scared to touch aluminium when charging. HAHA
49. joey_sfb (Posts: 5819; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
"i scared to touch aluminium when charging" make sense. Please use a cover.
I have cover on my iPad since day one so i never experience it.
10. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3881; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Why do people take calls while charging?
Do they have no sense at all?
12. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Apple: You're holding it wrong. Again.
33. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Actually, the owner was charging it wrong. Yet another reason to get a case for the phone - one more layer of insulation between you and the phone.
13. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
This is sad first that GS3 incident and now this may her soul REST IN PEACE
17. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
looks like the 2013 solar flares are really cooking up some smartphones
15. tedkord (Posts: 11905; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Beautiful young lady. Such a shame, if true. Hope its not.
And yes, this can happen with any device while plugged in. So don't be a-holes and turn this into an Apple thing.
20. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
My first thought was there was no ground fault interruption in the circuit or it was there and failed. Not sure of China's laws concerning power circuits but if there was a working one installed, should have gone a long way in keeping her alive.
22. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Yup, believe everything that you read on the internet! Now please excuse me while I confer with the alien mothership that accidently remotely activated the "electrocute" function on the poor girl's phone...
59. darkkjedii (Posts: 21698; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Very unfortunate event Ted. Tragedy bothers me, no matter how big or small the scale. I lost my older sister in 2009 to an "out of the blue" tragedy, man I know how her family must feel. It hurt me to no end, and still does.