Apple iPhone 5 makes TIME's Gadget of the Year for its design
0. phoneArena 14 Jan 2013, 07:31 posted on
TIME Magazine's spokesman words are “one of the most artfully polished gadgets anyone’s ever built,” and “when it comes to melding hardware, software and services so tightly that the seams fade away, Apple still has no peer...”
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
101. darkkjedii (Posts: 12669; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Sure would I like the design. Oh well, my main device is a note 2 so can the fanboy stuff. Apple makes beautiful devices.
26. naptown2 (Posts: 70; Member since: 29 Dec 2012)
iphone 5 what a joke really it looks like crap and it feel like a cheap made phone
i see them all the time stuck in roaming or bent or having cracked screens ..whatever tho
31. naptown2 (Posts: 70; Member since: 29 Dec 2012)
oh yes i see at least 5 to 10 iphones come in everyday with some kind of issue ...
40. andro. (Posts: 1971; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
I see maybe 5 -10 per week personnally,the amount of iphones the freeze and wont turn back on unless u press the lock and home button together for 10-15 seconds on a week basis is high. Another regular iphone fault is caller display constantly turning off and not being able to switch back on,they simply can't read sim cards properly,this sim card fault also effects iphones reading sim cards contracts for the first time,it can take up to a dozen attempts for them to import sim contacts
43. naptown2 (Posts: 70; Member since: 29 Dec 2012)
i wish i only saw 5-10 a week ...apple says they care about there customers but really they dont apple is required to activate phone there that they do a phone swap on but the apple store here doesnt even do that they just hand them a phone and say take it here and have them do it .. that makes me mad it shows to me they dont care about there customers.. and i see the sim issue here and there but i see mostly the pphone stuck in roaming or with a cracked screen ive seen a few bent ones but all in all the iphone 5 is junk .. we still sell more iphone 4s 3 to 1 over the iphone5 cause ppl around here know the issuses they have
28. MartyK (Posts: 726; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
IPHONE5 TIME's Gadget of the Year?
And they wonder why people cancel their subscription to their magazine, they are so outdated...hahaha
30. darkkjedii (Posts: 12669; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Remember this is design only. Gs3 won all the other major awards
58. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1898; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
I replied to an earlier comment of yours so I'll keep it short. For the most part the design hasn't changed much since the original iphone, especially if you look at the front only. Otherwise the iphone thru the 3gs are the same design, the iphone4/4s added the antenna band & a glass back, the iphone5 traded the glass back for aluminum and stretched the length. They're handling their design cycle like a car company, and cars cost a lot more to impelemt a redesign than cell phones.
I would pick a lumia phone over the iphone as far as design goes. A much fresher design IMHO.
80. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1898; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
Thanks. Again, IMHO, a design award should be given to something groundbreaking, even risky. Apple seems to be afraid to rock the boat as far as design and software goes, and at some point it's going to bite them.
That's what baffles me about iphone sales. When I spend my money, I want something that looks different than what it's replacing. Buying something that's virtually identical but with a few new features seems like a waste of money to me.
33. windy (Posts: 16; Member since: 28 Oct 2012)
Iphone 5 has the best design and build quality of 2012, Time's right.
Software is so fluid and easy to use also.
There are also other cool devices but overall it stands out.
34. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Okay he's part right, and part wrong. Saying that apple still has no peer, he's damn wrong. Have he seen nokia lumia 920? That thing beats iPhone 5 10x!
I would agree that apple really built the iPhone 5 to the highest standard. It's the best built quality as of now that has the most premium materials used on it. The software and hardware integration is also given to apple. Besides, who won't perfect that kind of integration when your OS changes by a little over time?
39. tedkord (Posts: 5286; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Whatever they make it of is the most premium materials. Last year, glad was the most premium material, this year its aluminum.
37. thunderising (Posts: 225; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
Only yesterday a guy came to my room and tried to explain how the iPhone 5 is the most amazing phone ever.
"It has an amazing Clock App which allows you to open Stop Watch, Timer or Set Alarms right from the main Clock app screen. So user friendly"
*Kicked him out of the room
47. bigbmc26 (Posts: 41; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Haha, I had 2 coworkers try to convince me it was so great because of their flashlight apps! I asked why can't you just hit the video camera icon and us that as the flashlight? They said too many steps, lol! Sounds like a design problem to me...
46. ray77 (Posts: 121; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
l think there are blind or in other words there are stupid about the hardware an the software u buy the phone the software is bad it have problems an the hardware u can skake it and it have losse end inside the phone plus there say is well build are there stupid or what!! an there call the best gadget plz stop it ur making me cry of laughter time magazine
49. AfterShock (Posts: 2985; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Time, their still around and relevant?
I guess just throwing out what their elder clients want to hear about their phone in their hands.
Perhaps that poll was right, iPhone's have gained geritol status an have lost their way amongst youth an in the know folks just like time.
76. JC557 (Posts: 1164; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
They're just trying to get more mags to fly off the stands due to the mere mention of Apple.
Not surprising considering the two people they chose for persion of the year (PotY and runner up) and the little girl that got shot for standing up for something was behind those two.
50. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
The iPhone 5 over the Wii U ....for design?
If the Wii U controller is included for the Wii U.....how does the iPhone 5 get picked over that? I might have even picked the Surface over the iPhone 5. Do they know 4" phones existed before the iPhone 5?
52. tmcr7 (Posts: 163; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
Doesn't matter. The Galaxy S III is the "People's Gadget of the Year."
53. jimjam (Posts: 246; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
iphone 5 has to be the worst device I've held. The edges are so harsh and it is just blocky. Now the ipod touch 5 is really nice.
54. ryq24 (Posts: 537; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
time magazine is an american owned company. enough said.
56. jimjam (Posts: 246; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
Any phone that NEEDS a case is by default poorly designed!
59. Joker (Posts: 24; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Yup, totally legit; coming from a magazine nominated Kim Jong Un as man of the year
60. krypticsoul (Posts: 9; Member since: 18 Dec 2009)
Iphone 5 Gadget of the Year!?
What 'TIME' capsule did they dig this up from? Let me guess, from June 29, 2007?
61. alekso9 (Posts: 40; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
Gadget of the year award for the same design its had since the beginning? Nice...
79. phonemirer (Posts: 111; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
same design since i4 and next year will be the same, it was true that i4 was the best device (and priced) of that year but after that it was surpassed by android and now even by wp8
63. Awsan (Posts: 7; Member since: 04 Jan 2013)
Hahahaha, i guess they didnt get the lumia 920 cuz of the sold out
65. Droiddoes (unregistered)
So it won because of it's "stellar" metal and glass design? The same metal that
- scratches easily
- the anodized finish rubs off
- dents easily
- has light leak from being hastily put together
Is that the "stellar" design they are referring to? Sigh, yet another company/person in apples pocket
74. speckledapple (Posts: 879; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
And somehow the same design as last year wins because they add a few extra inches? What is so artful.
84. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6740; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
how is that the GADGET of the year when it can't do as much u can with the GS IV or any other Android device. they must be ...
75. MisterCats (Posts: 3; Member since: 14 Jan 2013)
As a tenured Android user:
Stop f**king whining. Your favorite device will not always win. Go cry a river elsewhere.
77. phonemirer (Posts: 111; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
ios = no lag but no desktop and only 1 ui
android = lag but several desktops,widgets and various uis
wp8 = no lag no desktop but atleast live tiles
bb = no lag some sort of desktop
symbian = no lag some sort of desktop
82. lyndon420 (Posts: 1786; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Good for you apple. You are gonna need all the positive PR you can get...no matter how mis-guided it is.
83. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6740; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
are u kidding me iTime magazine? It's the SAME DAMN PHONE since the iPH4. WTF is wrong with journalist these days?
85. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6740; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
And how the hell they OUT RANK IPH5 over the NOTE II? they must be stupid of something