Apple iPhone 5 makes TIME's Gadget of the Year for its design
0. phoneArena 14 Jan 2013, 07:31 posted on
TIME Magazine's spokesman words are “one of the most artfully polished gadgets anyone’s ever built,” and “when it comes to melding hardware, software and services so tightly that the seams fade away, Apple still has no peer...”
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1236; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
How much you wanna bet he uses the iPhone 5 and never used an Android or other smartphone?
18. MeoCao (unregistered)
Not really, TIME depends on Apple for sales now, so Tim Cook also got into the top 3 Person of the year.
23. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3766; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Makes sense when you consider the name...
55. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
The iP5 which is a iP4 2010 just weirdly taller and slightly thinner, and a new port forcing all new accessories after 10 years! bam! best 0f 2012 :/
12. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
"...and the overall integration of software and hardware."
Um, has TIME Magazine ever touched the Nexus 4? Hands down best software integration on any phone.
22. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3766; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Remember the article on how the iPhone 5 bent when someone sat on it while in the back pocket?
They must have realized that was too cool a feature to be ignored about the iPhone 5.
"iPhone 5, the new hybrid of cell phones, bend it the way you want and the OS will bend to you"
36. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 13005; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
They are perfectly within their right to say that it had the best software and hardware integration .
66. Droiddoes (unregistered)
Absolutely. They are also within their right to be dead wrong, uninformed about what a truly innovative smartphone is, and to be openly and rightfully mocked for it. You of all...."people"....would understand.
86. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
nope they only have Apple products in their HQ building
15. wendygarett (unregistered)
Oh Apple, I love you so much and I decide to sleep in the bed that full of mac and iPhone, just like the girl on my avatars :)
well done time :)
35. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 13005; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
The iPhone 5 does have the best design.
38. tedkord (Posts: 11689; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Of course. It has that revolutionary 4 inch screen. You watch, next year all the Android phones will follow suit and have screens bigger than 3.5 inches.
Then, there's that (pat.pending) rectangle with rounded corners, which the LG Prada clearly did not have. Nope. Not at all.
73. ZeroCide (Posts: 773; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
Apple will increase the screen size by 0.00001 inches and call it revolutionary.
72. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
The 4S has a better design. It's sleeker. I absolutely hate the two-color back on the iPhone 5.
I honestly believe that the Nexus 4 is the best looking phone around. The iPhone 4/4S is a close second, but the larger size of the Nexus 4 and the lack of physical buttons give it an edge.
87. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
you must be crazy IT'S THE SAME POS since 2011
64. AnTuTu (Posts: 1580; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
You got to be kidding me iStretch 5 best design hahahahahah
88. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Typical biased journal out off their wit. There are plenty of devices out there which have better appealing looks than useless piece of metal.
99. atsamman (Posts: 74; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
iam an android fan but i gotta say that the iphone5's got a very nice design
imo better looking than sg3 or note 2 even alittle better than htc droid
2. someones4 (Posts: 625; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
No s*1ttin hell... This must also mean that the iPhone made gadget of the year for the past 5 or 6 years..
90. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
to let u guys know on VERIZON NETWORK DROID IS A VERIZON name only please don't mix those up. and the NOTE II or GS IV should be #1 on TIME MAGAZINE. not the crappy iPhone 5
13. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The Nintendo Wii U made it up there when it really didn't sell? Lol this list is pointless.
67. Droiddoes (unregistered)
What do you expect from a bunch of old farts? Put some younger people in charge who actually follow new tech and I promise that list would look very different.
91. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
3 things are pointless 1st wii u is a great console. 2nd it's gadgets. 3rd IPH5 shouldn't be #1.
5. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I agree that iPhone 5 visual design is really good but technical design is really poor.
7. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Yes.....a plain rectangle with rounded corner, the same design that has been used for the last 3 phones, is ground breaking. The iPhone design, and OS has been lacking and boring since the first iPhone was released. I will never understand how this phone make some people drool. I am starting to miss the feature phones of yesteryears. They were unique with a lot of them having very well thought out designs.
8. lovefist (unregistered)
He must be on crack when he said this, just see his surname.. McCracken.
9. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
iPhone 5 build quality and design is impressive indeed, gotta be honnest, software is a different story though
16. faisolbauuz (Posts: 121; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
Impressive bulid quality ? You mean dent and scratch on a brand new iphone 5 ?
27. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
it was happened on the first batch, that problem has been addressed now as i don't see any of this problem anymore on my friends' iPhone
68. Droiddoes (unregistered)
Good point. We forgot that your friends' iphone is representative of all iphones ever made.
89. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
You deserve that piece of sarcasm apple's hypnotized slave.
96. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
am i ? i don't even have any apple products, as a matter of fact, this comment was writen using my nexus
100. faisolbauuz (Posts: 121; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
Well i dont understand why everyone hates ios device i own ipad 3 and the ios is bad at first but after you jailbreak it will be a great improvemonts ex: it you want to add widget or cuztomize your lockscreen? Just install dreamboard or springtomize (tough its not to good compared the ones on android)bluetooth file transfer ? There is an app called airblue so? Why people are saying ios cannot be cutomized or boring ? And i wil be called and aplle fAn boy after saying this
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Says the Galaxy S III and the iPhone 5 were a tough call, GS3 doesn't make the list.
Lol Time logic.
92. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
u mean iTime logix
17. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3766; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
What the fudge!!!
iPhone 5? Really? Gadget of the year?
Times magazine must be stuck in time!!
20. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Time magazine is for people over like 60. They have no idea what's going on in the world of tech or whats really good.
21. andro. (Posts: 1998; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
The design is essentially 2 years old,just slightly stretched out of proportion this year.
Time magazine is lost in a world of its own,or perhaps the Harry has recieved a nice christmas present from Apple :-)
32. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
its much older than that. the iphone4 was out for 18 months before the 4s came out.. so your talking 3-4 years somewhere. "zomg they gave us the same design again!! its sooo awesome!!!"
45. darkkjedii (Posts: 21300; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
To me the note and gs3 r slightly prettier, but their design isn't as complex as the ip5. Not as much has to go into their design. This is y I agree with time, , overall they r the bettter devices though.
57. VZWuser76 (Posts: 4201; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
To me the thing is they really didn't change much from the 4/4s. They replaced the glass back with aluminum and stretched the length. Other than that, you've got the same design for the last 3 years. It's not really any different than what HTC was doing for awhile. Their phones were overall the same design with a few changed here and there. But when they did it it was stale & repetitious, when Apple does it it gets an award.
If you had all ilterations of the iphone, arranged them out of yearly order, and looked only at the face, could anyone pick which one was which (other than the iphone5)? To me that is not something a company should win an award for.
62. darkkjedii (Posts: 21300; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's true, but it didn't win an award for that. It won for best design with the ip5.
78. VZWuser76 (Posts: 4201; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
What I was saying is how can they win an award for a warmed over design from the last 3 years. That's like giving a car company a design award for a model they've barely updated in 3 years.
70. Droiddoes (unregistered)
True, the building process is very complex. It cannot be easy to get thousands of dirt poor suicidal Chinese to slave away making sub par novelty phones for 16 hours a day for 3 cents an hour without rioting or committing mass suicide.
I'll give apple that.
69. Droiddoes (unregistered)