Apple iPhone 5 main camera is made by Sony
0. phoneArena 24 Sep 2012, 04:19 posted on
The Apple iPhone 5 is here and it packs a great slightly but noticeably improved 8-megapixel camera, but up until now we knew little about what company…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. GUNDAM (Posts: 63; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
sony and nokia make the best camera for smart phones
10. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
nokia doesn't necessarily make the camera. They design it, but other company makes it. It's like apple's a6 processor, apple designs it, and samsung manufactures it. :)
14. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Apple designed and made the A6. They had acquired palo alto semiconductors back in 2008. Therefore they aremanufacturing the chip.
22. daniel_bargs (Posts: 323; Member since: 27 Nov 2010)
sorry, but apple says "Designed in California, Made in China".
Yes, they acquired a semiconductor company back in 2008. But it is a fabless semiconductor company. They design, then outsource the manufacturing to China or wherever like Taiwan.
Apple does not manufacture their A6. You know Samsung, Taiwan Semiconductor Company(TSMC), Texas instruments, fujitsu etc. :) hahaha.
24. ScottSchneider (Posts: 319; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
SO All the Credit for the iSIGHT Camera goes to SONY Now...
2. Grishm (Posts: 52; Member since: 18 May 2012)
I wish Sony comes up with a tech that can compete with Nokia PureView's monster 41MP shooter.
3. GUNDAM (Posts: 63; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
i think 41 megapixels for a phone is kinda unnecessary... it is the sensors that matters for good pictures
4. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 630; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Yes, and this 41 MP sensor is the highest quality sensor on a mobile phone to date.
And 41 MPs are not here because of mere quantity of pixels, it's because of quality, for instance lossless zoom etc.
7. GUNDAM (Posts: 63; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
i agree. the only problem is that the pureview is a mediocre phone with a great camera. and it's also quite thick. If i wanted to take good pictures, i would much rather get a dedicated camera and or use a phone with above average picture quality like an xperia t or lumia 920 once it gets released
9. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 630; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
PureView 808 is just a testing machine, a pilot programme, it's not intended to be a sales hit. It's for showing of the technologies on which Nokia is working. It showed that it isn't yet matured for everyday mobile phone buyer. For that, they need to solve those issues you mentioned. That's why they put it on Symbian, not WP. They have switched to so-called PV Phase 2 on WP, but that's more of marketing trick than the real thing, although it's far away from being mediocre.
11. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I got to agree with what you said that 808 is not really intended for being best in terms of sales. Nokia stated before that they've release this phone to end the never ending quarrel regarding of which smartphone has the best camera.
The main reason that it is used in symbian because, symbian OS is a home-brewed OS by nokia that they could easily modify, unlike WP. Also, they've manage to support a whooping 41MP camera in symbian, while WP can't support it.
Let's just wait for a pureview smartphone with graphene sensor. That would change everything. Might be used on PV Phase 3, where a PV Phase 1 and 2 are combined in a slimmer module due to the fact that graphene is extremely thin.
17. Lawliet (Posts: 160; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Android does not support that kind of camera natively yet.
If you're used to using custom ROM, you're gonna have a bad time with that kind of camera in your phone
6. bbblader (Posts: 580; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
it is if you want noise cancelation losless zoom and oversampling in 3,5,8 mpx
29. The_Innovation (Posts: 562; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
They use 5 megapixels out of those 41 to create 1 ultimate megapixel. So it's basically like an 8 megapixel digital camera you would find in a store. Quality wise I mean.
30. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 630; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
No. Quality wide, all that matters is the sensor, and it's type, size and density defines quality of produced image. However 41 megapixels in this context are utilized to achieve some extraordinary performance when set to "only" 8 megapixels, which makes PV 808 even better than standard consumer cameras.
Of course, it cannot compare with large CCD sensors of professional grade cameras, but for a mobile phone, it's a breakthrogh.
8. phljcnth (Posts: 269; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
But the phone's look will have to be sacrificed. It will have to be as chunky as PureView 808
31. Jericho (Posts: 302; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I think the 808 looks and it certainly feels good. I don't get why are people getting crazy for a slim phone. Chunky is good as it feels better in hand than slim phones. Look at LG Optimus Vu It is slim but a pain in the ass to carry around, the same goes for Galaxy Note(i know samsung is famous now so i probably will get thumbs down from S-haters).
13. StephenGalop (Posts: 52; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Aww why can't you make your own phones? Why you buy samdog's?
27. Jobes (Posts: 364; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Maybe due to the fact that he doesn't manufacture phones???? Don't be stupid.
16. darkdroid (Posts: 44; Member since: 13 Sep 2012)
not surprising ...apple cant make their products as whole , displays or processors of samsung , camera of sony , then the assembling the parts in china ...apple is just a stain in the name of innovation ..sigh
18. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
i guess sony is still one the best manifacturers to make camera's sensor.
camera's sensor is something that normally other company like to buy. both samsung & apple buy their camera's sensor from sony.
19. b4mv_01 (Posts: 9; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
And still iphone is regarded as best camera in reviews,not sony...thats fishy
20. Bfrenz (Posts: 106; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
iOS driving the camera is doing the best. Nokia using a dedicated chip in 808,even the latest CPUs wont support more than 2pMP. 808 is just to show the people what can a smartphone camera from Nokia do and to stop that Megapixel race to end and its a niche device.NOT for the masses.
23. ryq24 (Posts: 507; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
no wonder they have panoramic features just like xperia line up.
25. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
after reading the tittle of article one question came to my mind if camera is made by sony Display by Samsung(if still true), chipset by some xyz company what APPLE makes its self @_@
26. Bfrenz (Posts: 106; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Nokia PureView tech is gaurded by somewhat 80patents. Apple dont want to pay Nokia in billions again. Remember:Apple paying 500mln/annum to Nokia for patents.