Apple iPhone 5 announcement: meta-liveblog
In contrast to previous years, we've seen many leaked pictures and heard many rumors, some of which quite silly, others somewhat trustworthy, but the moment when all will become clear has finally come. Apple is no longer the one and only go-to company if you need a great smartphone. There are alternatives now with the likes of Samsung, HTC, Nokia and LG, who have come up with some lovely Android and Windows Phone offerings this year. However, one thing is certain: today, there will be no Samsung, no HTC, no Nokia, no LG. Today is iPhone day.
Welcome to our meta-liveblog, guys and gals! Together, we'll be following Apple's keynote, witnessing the announcement of the new iPhone as it unfolds. Apple's keynote will begin in about an hour, so if there's something you have to do - do it now, and be sure to come back quickly, as this will be an event you don't want to miss. Alternatively, if you don't have anything else to do, why don't you refresh your memories with our iPhone 5 rumor round-up!
The event will start at: 1PM ET | 12PM CT | 10AM PT | 6PM GMT | 7PM Central European Time.
Unfortunately, we won't be able to attend the show live, so that's why we'll be doing a meta-liveblog. Info and pictures are courtesy of TheVerge and Engadget.
Live event tracker
2. abdane (Posts: 471; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
watch it live here :http://absinthejailbreak.org/i
11. Ray.S (Posts: 239; Member since: 19 Jul 2011)
Last time their "livestreaming" was just a bunch of Ustream guys in their studio, discussing the event live, but we'll see what they'll do this time.
15. dr_fajardo12 (Posts: 107; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
here will be better, Ray s is the one writting the live blog. he's not and icrazyfan xD (lol?)
7. Ray.S (Posts: 239; Member since: 19 Jul 2011)
Only Tim Cook knows. But this will change in an hour or two.
8. TediT (Posts: 37; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
some say YES and some say NO... I guess we will find out in about 30min...
6. good2great (Posts: 1035; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
i've been lounging around at work all day waiting for 1pm...hahaha
not a iFan - i've done this for all the big releases...
Windows Phone 8 (Samsung version)
Windows Surface Tab
so i have my popcorn ready!
LETS GO RAY!!! haha
29. itiswhatitis (Posts: 419; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
Hey....did you just steal my idea or what????
just glad that there are like-minded people out there;)
12. intos (Posts: 83; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
im not happy with the concept phone like milion people out there ... so we wait to see something really beautifull after the epic fail 4s... lets see...
17. TediT (Posts: 37; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
someone should be really stupid to buy this phone if it looks the same as the 4S...
16. aokde (Posts: 185; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
for the apple users who are going to be disappointed:http://youtu.be/FVgNT2WmNXo
android users are welcome to have a smile :P
28. dsg_cobra (Posts: 35; Member since: 25 Nov 2009)
So is phonearena a place for everybody to let their inner 12 year old selfs out, and bash on anything other than what they have? So if you drive a chevy and the guy next to you drives a ford are you gonna start talking trash about how their truck is crap? No, why is a phone any different? Cool good for you if you love the inovative android's that take chances and launch stuff prematurely and like to use their consumers as beta testers. I have a droid charge btw. And good for you if you want a iphone that is very cautious and only releases a product after it has been designed, tested, took back down worked on tested again, and again, till perfection before release. And when you have it, it runs flawlessly as expected after having to wait a year or so for it. ex LTE. (- Dont start android fan boys the antenna issue on the 4, that was a stupid mistake on their part. But we can compile a list for days on issues your Godly Android phones have had.)
18. champ_vl (Posts: 44; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
Not an iPhone fan nor Android/WP but I am reallyyyyyyy curious about the new iPhone :D Another disappointment like the 4S or maybe this time something acceptable?
19. VebbX (Posts: 41; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
I am a fan of watching releases too, but I have never bought a iPhone and never will, but what I will buy is the new Nokia 920 or LG Optimus G.
23. TediT (Posts: 37; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
LG Optimus G looks great... Quadcore Snapdragon S4... My Galaxy S3 looks old now :(
21. abdane (Posts: 471; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
imagine this is the iPhone :
Name ? The New iPhone 4S
Design ? Same with 1 less line on the side.
Screen ? Still 3.5"
Processor ? Enchanced from 1 GHz to 1.2 GHz Dual Core which is bla bla faster !
Battery ? Maxed Up From 1420/1430 to 1460 !!! an extra 30 minutes talk time !
Screen ? What else beside the beautifull Retina Display ?
RAM ? 832 MB
Camera ? 8 MP
Front Camera ? VGA, 0.9 MP
24. Virile (Posts: 38; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
Nice one Ray, would love my iphone with a floppy =D
25. maryaaadil (Posts: 146; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
Hope iphone 5 has lte cause i wanna see sammy and apple in court room again. But this time samsung winning it.
26. gallitoking (Posts: 4630; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I will see my phone for this new bad boy...
31. gallitoking (Posts: 4630; Member since: 17 May 2011)
meant to say "sale". damm can't even write
33. gallitoking (Posts: 4630; Member since: 17 May 2011)
lol meant to say "sell" 3rd time is the charm,
35. xtian1103 (Posts: 352; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
it's ok galli. btw cnet does the liveblog better. no offense PA
27. TheCellX (Posts: 36; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
Floppy disk... they will demand IBM for insert that into the original PCs.. 20 years ago.
30. kindlefireowner (Posts: 311; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Apple Hater's. ? When was the last time the release of any android phone, actually moved the stock market. NEVER.
38. WPDroidShenanigans (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
OMG 4 inches!! This changes everything (again) and (again)
40. WPDroidShenanigans (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
I love how they list LTE as 100 MBPS haha, well they were warned, lets how if Sammy follows through with the LTE suit
41. maryaaadil (Posts: 146; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
Nokia 920 has the most advanced display.
42. Commentator (Posts: 2180; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Of course Apple would team up with EA of all people for this event...
43. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Same old iphone but larger screen...lame.
47. takay0 (Posts: 142; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
HTC shouls saw them for the takin photo while takin a video! lol
48. WPDroidShenanigans (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
Doesnt look like that adapter will fit into most docks, fail
49. maryaaadil (Posts: 146; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
Sorry my money for optimus g and note 2
60. Ric1511 (Posts: 26; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
Same here...but I'm still waiting to see HTC's phablet. .
51. kabukijoe (Posts: 65; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
4" screen... 4G... we've had these things on phones for what, 2 years now? It's not groundbreaking just because Apple finally decided to catch up with the times.
BTW, HTC already came out with devices that can capture a picture from video, and you can take panorama pictures with pretty much every Android phone.
Pretty hypocritical of Apple to go "thermonuclear" on every tech company for being "copy-cats" when pretty much everything annouced thus far is nothing new... I guess they really were just trying to eliminate competition because they are running out of ideas.
55. kabukijoe (Posts: 65; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
They'll add that to it next year so they can re-release this exact same phone as iPhone 5S
54. hosker (unregistered)
Hey ray how about you hate less, if you didnt feel like doing the live blog you shouldnt have done it and let some1 else more proffessional do the job. Tell us what their saying and showing and less of your opinion...write your own article later about how you dont like the iphone 5. There you can give your opinion about who uses siri, how they already talk about ios before bla bla.
I want to know what their showing and saying.its iphone day not yours.is like any reporter giving their opinions on a news, thats a fail, you should always remain neutral to avoid people to dislike you.
57. 23nikki1 (Posts: 45; Member since: 25 Jul 2012)
Ahhh pretty bored!
Now here comes
All new redesigned lock screen...instead of swiping from left to right, you have to swipe from right to left...
58. Reverence (Posts: 224; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
wats da of wwdc if they hav to demo again
59. 23nikki1 (Posts: 45; Member since: 25 Jul 2012)
This year's most innovative announcements...that really impressed me
Nokia lumia 920