Apple iPhone 4 hot in India as sales triple in less than one week
0. phoneArena 12 Apr 2013, 15:38 posted on
Thanks to a trade-in promotion, Apple has jumped to the second spot among handset manufacturers in India; the trade in offers an Apple iPhone 4 for the discounted price of $359 USD with a trade-in of the buyer's old smartphone which is then refurbished and sold in the country's red-hot used smartphone market...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 5614; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Amazing at 3 years old the iPhone 4 continues to dominate.
6. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
and not to forget the "begging to customers strategy' helped a lot with 0% percentage downpayment, 0% service charge, 12 easy emi's with 0% interest, and a cash back offer ONLY.
14. sprockkets (Posts: 1499; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Amazing that people buy the cheapest apple product cause its the only one affordable.
34. KennethP4V (Posts: 33; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
hahah samsung has phones that r cheap cheap like 100 USD, how come no one care?
39. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
Cause they are plastic, feels cheap, Lags. I think WP is the best in midrange and low end. I mean, you can't play the apps and games you want on a low end Android. But you can on WP, especially if WP is now getting Games from Gameloft.
20. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6975; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
And yet people still dont realize its the same old phone even in india. I'm planning getting a gs mini or a xperia phone when i visit india later this year
37. spideyhead256 (Posts: 148; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
over here owning an apple device is a pretty big deal.atleast to the common person who doesn't know xyz about phones.
26. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Yep, i cant believe the phone that needed a condom to solve the antenna issue is still selling well
2. Neurone (Posts: 54; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Its not the iphone4 , but its the brand ApplE which the people are after....
27. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
too bad for the victims, i mean the buyers..
3. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I get tired of seeing iPhone 5, 4 and 4S in front of the paper as soon as i get up.
The whole page is consumed by the ad, that it's ready to pop right at you.
And Alan, that sentence in the last para, "Samsung has been following Apple and has
copied the sales plan." is going to bring you some trouble.
5. darkkjedii (Posts: 14464; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
He's rite in that Sammy has learned from apple in several key areas, but Sammy has taken it to another level in innovation, while apple has gone to refining. Sammy learned from apple to unify their flagship brand across carriers, they also now market the way the device makes day to day life easier, instead of just marketing specs like Motorola. Apple has let the student become the master, and now Sammy is out dueling apple. I'm gonna tell it like it is, apple needs to get off their rump and wow us with something new and fresh, or my very good yet boring ip5 will be my last iPhone.
7. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
in the end r u with apple or samsung ;-)
8. darkkjedii (Posts: 14464; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Honestly in the end I'm with tech. I just think apple needs to step it up.
23. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Dark, this is sad man... No one appreciates reasonable comments anymore. Think it's time to leave this site and find another.
35. darkkjedii (Posts: 14464; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Nathan I think you're right. The fanboyism is too contagious.
25. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Not saying he's not right or wrong, just saying Sammy fans won't let this go easy.
4. darkkjedii (Posts: 14464; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's impressive considering it launch in 2010. I don't blame apple for "milking the clock", but going forward I'm done buying new iPhones if they don't blow me away this year. If the 5S looks like the 5, I'll just update to ios7.
9. alterecho (Posts: 1094; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
"Samsung has been following Apple and has copied the sales plan"
huh, nothing surprising there. Beginning to wonder if Samsung would have been successful if it weren't for other companies to "inspire it".
11. darkkjedii (Posts: 14464; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Good point, but moot also cause they are.
12. itiswhatitis (Posts: 423; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
In a developing countries like India and China, apple will always be customer's first choice not because of the OS nor the design simply because of the bitten apple at the back of the phone.
Most people in these countries are just show-offish especially in India even if they buy care they'd leave the wrapper on for at least 3 months just to show people that they bought a brand new car,so i'm not surprise at all when i see iphone 4 sales tripled.
13. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
And there is it, a clear proof that Apple doesn't need a cheap new iPhone version.
They can just discount the old model. Much easier and cheaper
15. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 390; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
Let's see if anyone can answer this. I got a unlocked iPhone 4 in iOS 4.0.2. I want to jailbreak it to 6.1.2. Do I just load up the firmware and using the jailbreak program? Do I need to update it to 6.1.2 first?
19. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 390; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
Hopefully someone can answer my question lol
Thanks in advance
16. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
3 year old crap is dumped in countries like India, Apple must be ashamed of its acts.
18. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
refurbished iStupid products.. meh...
21. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Shame on you Apple! Still selling an old outdated iPhone, you kidding me?
22. rvp10sucks (Posts: 5; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
what a waste of money... people are just going after the brand name.
40. VADroidTS555 (Posts: 9; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
People dunno that's its OUTDATED iPhone 4! They just know its Apple!
People get excited seeing 'Apple' logo on the backside of phone!
Even if someone buys the cheapest "Audi", "BMW"; that guy is treated as if he owns "Rolls Royce"!!!
People don't see specs, just the brands! That's very shameful...
28. jibraihimi (Posts: 708; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Apart from exchange offer, Apple is offering low down payment and rest is monthly EMI options of 3, 6, or 12 months. This strategy is also working for them, as people can now afford to buy iPhones which were too expensive for them before...........
29. platformwars (Posts: 86; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Wow.. Apple stores are selling the iPhone4 as a brand new one and not a refurbished one.. a couple of my friends got the phone and told me it was new.. and to be honest.. it looks new as well..
I got to know about the device being refurbished from this article..
So.. its like.. buying a second hand iPhone for Rs. 18000.. whereas if you go to the second hand market.. you can buy the same product for about 10000..
But most of the comments here are right.. people are going in for the product more because of the brand than the actual phone itself.. and this has a downside as well.. Since Apple is becoming so common now with the iPhone 4 that for alot of people its not a status symbol anymore.. that's because its not exclusive anymore..
I know a frnd who was going to buy a iPhone 5 but has brought the Z10 just because of the exclusivity.. Blackberry has no Buybacks or anything of that sort yet.. So for now.. Atleast in the 25-30 yr old bracket.. Z10 is a hot device..
31. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
indians going full retard i'd rather buy an android or wp8 instead of this outdated phone
32. androidrocks (Posts: 48; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
So they are dumping those unsold oldies into India...No one seems to get this simple logic.
Couple of my friends purchased iphone 4 recently..They dont even have a data connection (nope! not even wifi).
People use their iphones for one purpose...SHOW OFF! (atleast in the 25-30 yr people in my part of the country. I meant no abuse here)
33. Avinash.Meeniga (Posts: 12; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
The reason for the sales boom is that after the discount the price of the iphone 4 8GB comes down from 26,500 to 19,500 (both of them are max price you may even get it for lower price depending on the state and the shop, etc) which brings it to the mid-range phones segment so that's the reason more people are trying for it also the EMI schemes by the sellers have been boosting the sales of a lot of the costly smartphones and btw it was the local companies strategy/tactis which are selling them here and not the apple
36. ryq24 (Posts: 582; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
It seems there are still many people who wants an iPhone but many just can't afford it thus thy buy androidphones. Android phones are dime a dozen!