Apple iPad mini vs Google Nexus 7 vs Amazon Kindle Fire HD specs comparison
0. phoneArena 23 Oct 2012, 14:13 posted on
We have been hearing about a smaller, cheaper iPad since last fall, and the rumors really reached a tipping point this summer, until we finally got to today's unveiling. Analysts and pundits were saying that Apple would never go downmarket, but Cupertino proved them wrong, occupying the last niche where Android tablet were roaming unabated in one fell swoop...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Savage (unregistered)
Nexus 7. Who's with me?
22. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Its almost been out for 6 months and the n7 is still the 7" champ. My n7 is the best $200 I've spent on a gadger, ever.
Btw lol at the ipad minis 162ppi. Nice try apple.
28. Aeires (unregistered)
Not only ppi, but overall resolution, and 4x3 ratio. Introductory Apple specs, you'll see the rest in version 2.
44. deuel_18 (Posts: 54; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
i thought Apple claims its good retina display?
65. ardent1 (Posts: 1999; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Apple Mini is a first gen product -- it took Apple 3 tries to get retina display on the iPad. This should be common knowledge (for the rest of us).
66. ardent1 (Posts: 1999; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
All the news surrounding the Apple Mini make it clear it would NOT have retina display since it's a first generation product. Apple and it's OEMs need to go through a learning curve.
26. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
my moms with you! HAH, that was sooo LOL!!!
33. blingblingthing (Posts: 462; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
I am not with you.
Uninformed Apple Fan # 2008472.
41. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
NeXus 7 all the way
45. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Then iPad Mini, then Kindle Fire.
I just don't like the Fire. Imo, the skin on it makes it worse than iOS.
54. prakesh (Posts: 92; Member since: 13 Sep 2012)
of course nexus7,
ipad mini is just ips lcd lower ppi with a high price
oh cmmon apple u must be kidding? wheres your retina display?
67. saiki4116 (Posts: 371; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
if they make high res display...developers wiil have a new headache...they already headache for updating their apps to iphone5...The thing is Apple will be effected in Long Term,if they didnt adopt responsive design like Android...How long they can double the resolution and avoid that longstanding problem...
62. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
had it for a while - ipad mini would be a waste of money...
4. RicNP (Posts: 32; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I don't like most Apple products but the display aspect ratio seems perfect to me for a 7" tablet.
13. krysis (Posts: 76; Member since: 14 Dec 2009)
Sarcasm, right? please? i'm just assuming your making fun of the display, since you said 7" when it's 7.9"... right?
24. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
so wouldnt it be considered more of an 8 inch tablet?
30. RicNP (Posts: 32; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I really like that aspect ratio and when I say aspect ratio I mean it literally. I know the size of the screen is 7.9" but that's not the point I'm trying to make.
In other words, I wish the Nexus 7 screen was a bit wider.
5. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1399; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Nexus 7 ,32 GB with 3G for 249 ....epic deal over that iPad 2/1/2
6. ncv144 (Posts: 126; Member since: 04 May 2012)
iMini actually looks very much like the nexus 7, just wider.
7. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1399; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
IPad mini - this is what happens when yo momma sits on a iPod touch 5
8. syedzain (Posts: 175; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Ok guys Enjoy ur nexus with NO camera ..... Lol.
9. plgladio (Posts: 313; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
You looking for a tablet with camera? See other features you have in Nexus..
14. syedzain (Posts: 175; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
yes u are right...
coz ipad mini has bluetooth 4.0 , 720p HD front Facing camera, LTE 4G , 16 gb Capacity , Wifi 802.11 a, b, g, n, n 5GHz , 10 hours of battery life, lighter ,,, wow nexus sure is great not having these specs..
20. mas11 (Posts: 1033; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Umm the Nexus 7 has a higher resolution screen and NFC all for a much lower price. Not to mention all its other advantages.
46. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
The Nexus 7 has Bluetooth, long battery life, and a front facing camera, too. It also has a better display with higher ppi and the A5 can't even compare to the Tegra 3.
Before the A6, I didn't really think Apple did so great in the hardware department. However, they've really stepped up their game recently with the Retina Macbooks, iPhone 5, and iPad 4th gen.
You have to admit though, the Mini is disappointing and doesn't hold a candle to the Nexus 7 in any factor including cost.
Do your research. :)
51. tatail (Posts: 229; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
How about a quad core processor to start with?
What is the point of having all those specs if your processor (your main piece of hardware lacking firepower) is ancient history..
53. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
I have a 250gb hard drive on my tablet so that's slams your 16gb. There are better tablets for less money out there
11. protozeloz (Posts: 5383; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
With no rear can? Lol enjoy your iPad with low ress no NFC no USB hosting and last years specks
15. syedzain (Posts: 175; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
hahahaah I can understand ur idea to make apple down.
17. pkiran1996 (Posts: 165; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
The iPad Mini's screen is actually horrific.
19. syedzain (Posts: 175; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
U saying as if u have seen it with ur own eyes lol
29. pkiran1996 (Posts: 165; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
You don't need to see it with your eyes. It has a PPI of 162. Anything below 200 is going to look pixelated let alone 162.
31. protozeloz (Posts: 5383; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
It has the same screen as the iPad 2 I mean you all guys are about DPI these days not only its not HD but has a low DPI
32. plgladio (Posts: 313; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
I was really worried when Google released 8 GB, but after seeing one of my friend's tab, he just plugged a 16GB pendrive with cable and copied files from and to.
I was like wow, but in my iPad 2 I suffer a lot, I just use for reading email, playing games ah yes taking photos and keeping with that only.. :(
35. protozeloz (Posts: 5383; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I'm loving my n7 so far nearly everything I plugged into it works out of the box (USB keyboard mouse games etc) I'm waiting for 4.2 before I root it and get USB storage on
47. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
The Nexus 7 really is an incredible device, especially considering the price. :o
12. krysis (Posts: 76; Member since: 14 Dec 2009)
ugh. cameras on tablets are the worst idea ever
27. mas11 (Posts: 1033; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Couldn't agree more. Why take a pic with your tablet and look stupid when you likely have a phone with a better camera
16. pkiran1996 (Posts: 165; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
The extra $129 you pay for an iPad Mini are essential for a camera...which I'm sure the whole of PhoneArena including fanboys agree that its not worth that much. And let's not forget that it's not even good quality for such a big price jump.
18. syedzain (Posts: 175; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
So u mean if u dont have Camera there isnt a big deal, faster wifi- NO big deal , LTE - No big Deal ,
bluetooth 4.0 -No big deal 16 Gb capacity-No big Deal
38. Zero0 (Posts: 591; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Camera - Since I am advanced enough to own a tablet device, but not a mobile device, it is imperative to own a camera-wielding tablet. /sarcasm
Faster Wi-Fi - Tell me again, how many people have 5GHz routers?
LTE - You pay a premium.
Bluetooth 4.0 - NFC. 'Nuff said.
16GB - You missed part of Google's announcement. Understandable, as it was only 4 months ago. $250 for a 16GB Nexus 7.
Comparing entry level models separated by a $130 margin is not really fair. Especially when you throw in features of higher priced iPad models (LTE).
42. blingblingthing (Posts: 462; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
The LTE isn't included at the 329 price. You should mention that so you don't mislead someone to believe the Ipad mini is good value
49. AmirAli (Posts: 4; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
What do you think? !!!!!
Camera and faster wifi is nothing against quad core Cortex A9 clocked at 1.3 GHrz. They are nothing against better screen and bigger battery. again nexus7 has 1 GB of ram and iPad mini only has 512 MB. Be lucky about iPad mini.
And at the final step, nexus7 is 100$ cheaper.
Only an idiot buys iPad mini instead of nexus7!!!!
60. Twashbush (Posts: 47; Member since: 08 Jun 2011)
Camera: lets see i rather not look retard trying to take a picture / video with a tablet.
Faster wifi: show me anywhere you use wifi that runs faster than 50+mbps dataspeeds so moot point.
LTE: as for LTE use your brain not your wallet, I have a LTE android phone that i can use as a wifi hotspot (droid razr maxx + foxfi) with unlimited data. so for those of us that are lucky enough to still be on a good plan (verizon unlimited currently at 48gb of data used this month) and on that note it's crazy that providers want to charge per data because it's really not costing them more than a few cents for power usage.
Bluetooth 4.0: might save you a little bit on battery life if you can find any BT4.0 devices to use with it which are kinda limited,
Storage: the 16gb version of the nexus will now be $200 and the 32gb version will be $250 so even the 32gb is still cheaper.
64. maryaaadil (Posts: 146; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
What is the use of bluetooth if you can't transfer files to another device considering no nfc
Yeah its got faster WiFi but what about double the CPU power and Android
I have a ipod touch(Jailbroken) and a GS3(Rooted)
Believe me iOS is a joke.
21. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 244; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
Why do you need a rear camera on a tablet... Do you want to be like this girls?
34. nbringer (Posts: 179; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
When I see those people contorting their bodies to make a photo with a tablet... it's just ridiculous. It's like "Hey, look! I have this huge thing that can make a crappy photo!" Ridiculous! Just ridiculous...
36. blingblingthing (Posts: 462; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
I don't mind the cam trade off. A tablet will not replace the need for having a phone with me.
10. Sniggly (Posts: 7199; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
So literally the only thing the Mini has over the Seven is internal storage. However, I will bet that the higher capacity Seven will still be cheaper.
23. protozeloz (Posts: 5383; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
It's selling on best buy for the same price as the 16GB as rumors said Google will kill the 8GB version and 16GB will cost 200 and 32GB 250 so that's really impressive
58. bkb01 (Posts: 43; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
yes but apparently its not an issue since i believe the nexus 7 supports usbtogo which can literally read card readers, flash drives etc. more memory. youll be bringing a tablet might as well carry extra memory like hard drives etc.
37. wojey (Posts: 14; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
i don't understand why is it so hard for android fans/apple fans to just understand that everyone has different taste on things.
Even though i think is just plain ridiculous to take a picture with a tablet i still think having a camera on a tablet it's a good idea. What if you're traveling and waiting on an airport and want to facetime your children? i mean they're different things people can use the camera for so i personally don't think having a camera on a tablet it's a bad idea.
39. Zero0 (Posts: 591; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
The Nexus has a front-facing camera. That's sufficient for video chatting.
40. wojey (Posts: 14; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
ok but my point is that camera on a tablet is actually useful when most people here are saying that they're useless
56. Twashbush (Posts: 47; Member since: 08 Jun 2011)
Again As Zero stated the nexus does have a front facing camera for video chatting but no rear camera. as it much simpler to use your phone as a camera than an tablet, even the 7 inchers are kinda big and you look like a retard trying to use them as a point and shot camera / video device.
43. Mr.Mr.Upgrade (Posts: 425; Member since: 30 Aug 2011)
You people are still missing the sale point...with the economy...being down.... Apple priced it to high.....you people cry bout the government...but its you ...yourself ... you have to blame....it dont matter who is in the white house.....people are just plain dumb....over priced no innovation same old icrap