Apple iPad mini torn down: stereo speakers, screen from Samsung
They are almost done, and it seems the iPad mini is not extremely tough to repair. For once the LCD and front glass are separate, so you can replace just one of them. Additionally, somewhat surprisingly Apple has used a Samsung-made LCD. This contradicts rumors about Apple trying to cut its ties with Samsung, but it could also be the case that Samsung is not the only company making screens for the iPad mini.
Good news is - as we’ve recently learned - that the iPad mini features stereo speakers in an improvement over earlier iPads. This is one of the benefits from the smaller Lightning connector, and you thought there weren’t any!
Check it all out at the source below.
1. eisenbricher (Posts: 961; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Transitioning from Samsung won't be so easy. How can Apple just ditch a large scale supplier like Samsung?
It's like requesting 100 bags of grain from a backyard gardener instead of a farmer with large fields. Seriously not easy.
3. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5153; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I suspect Apple learned a lesson from the iP5 experience....
6. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1059; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
screen from samsung???
Wh am I not surprised :)
Even Apple knows who is the best and they've got to come back to the best :)
2. wendygarett (unregistered)
Love iPad mini...
But just got a nexus 7 instead...
Check out my rate on user review on nexus 7 :)
7. iHeartApple (banned) (Posts: 4; Member since: 01 Nov 2012)
You shouldn't rate nexus 7 that high, nexus is a crap and iPad is a real babe here
8. mas11 (Posts: 1011; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
So you're saying it's better to have a a slower processor, half the RAM, a sub HD display and a grid of apps? Okay buddy
13. blingblingthing (Posts: 355; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
What about the lightning adapter mas11? That changed everything.
14. mas11 (Posts: 1011; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Damn forgot about that, now you don't have to worry about which way you plug it in, it has a cool name and the cable is ONLY $30!
20. chronopc (Posts: 86; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
Give me a $129 and it'll be just like you bought yourself an iPad mini, only with a better screen.
9. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1437; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
You know the Surface Pro has Intel Ivy Bridge with Intel HD 4000 Graphic, this thing can run both Crysis 1 & 2. I've tested it and already completed both games. Something that no iPads can do. What you're getting with Surface Pro, is real power in hand. The only thing we need now, is touch optimized control for those games.
16. roldefol (Posts: 2855; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
And how much will Microsoft charge for this beast? You can't compare to the iPad or other ARM-based tablets without mentioning how much more an Ivy Bridge tablet will cost.
I'm sure Steve Ballmer appreciates you advertising here though.
18. chronopc (Posts: 86; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
However much it costs, it's too much. Especially since you can't change the battery. Why doesn't any company make a tablet where the battery is interchangeable? After a couple of years, the battery will die and it'll change from tablet to paperweight.
22. bipinm (Posts: 122; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
the price of surface will be high...look what we get for that price...U say ipad charges less???
10. gallitoking (Posts: 4628; Member since: 17 May 2011)
is going to e tough for Samsung to find someone that sells that many screens, LG makes their own, HTC and Moto don't sellt eh volume Apple does...
11. wayee1 (Posts: 12; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
nexus 7 ! have better ppi, is more confortable in the hand.. is more economic have android jelly bean, for me nexus still better deal..!
12. androidornothing (Posts: 141; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I cant wait until the Nexus 10 comes out and spits on all of these stupid tablets!!!!! Nexus 10 FTW
15. xtremesv (Posts: 180; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Wow stereo speakers! That fully justifies the new connector and the old accessories you must throw away.
17. chronopc (Posts: 86; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
Every time PA mentions the lighting adapter I die a little. Good luck next time you run out of battery and forgot the adapter at home. Charging adapters should just be universal. I love the fact that Android uses micro usb for charging. Everyone and their mothers have one of those.
19. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5467; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
So Apple doesn't know how to make screens or phone hard ware what a surprise
21. mydi.maus (unregistered)
wow ipad mini got stereos?is it dolby digital too?or maybe surround sound?haha