Apple iPad mini: here are all the new features
0. phoneArena posted on 23 Oct 2012, 14:42
The Apple iPad mini is now official. After shockingly bringing a fourth-generation iPad to the stage and making us doubt for a second the mini, it’s finally here. Deep breaths…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. sithvenger (banned) posted on 23 Oct 2012, 14:45 5 29
That is one sweet looking piece of a machine. If I didn't have an ipad3, I'd b all over it. Nice job apple.
34. PhenomFaz posted on 23 Oct 2012, 17:42 1 1
Againso what exactly are the amazing, revolutionary and extraordinary new features that arent available in other ipad versions?
Superficial tablet for the same class of people...as a student not a feasible choice
46. GTR722 posted on 23 Oct 2012, 23:19 3 2
Very dissapointed at PA, this "article" looks more like an Ad for Apple
47. Lifengineer posted on 24 Oct 2012, 00:38 0 0
It is unfortunately!
This Victor thing is sooooooooooo apple fanboy!!!
49. ElektronicGeek91 posted on 24 Oct 2012, 01:28 0 0
sooo by looking at what features it has...ummm i guess its not worth buying?? aha
54. E.N. posted on 24 Oct 2012, 22:12 0 0
Anyone who has any sense about them would quickly realize that this isn't suppose to replace the iPad line....
2. Savage posted on 23 Oct 2012, 14:45 24 1
New features? All other iPads have those. So just because a tablet shrunk, they became new?
5. Savage posted on 23 Oct 2012, 14:51 17 0
Okay here's your chance. Tell me whats new about this iPad. I'll help you fill.
1) Smaller and more portable screen - check.
12. sithvenger (banned) posted on 23 Oct 2012, 15:05 5 11
If u think for one second I'm about to get into a pointless debate about this iPad, then u r absolutely nuts. All I know is my son wants one, and as good a kid as he is and his high gpa...he's got one coming.
31. chaoticrazor posted on 23 Oct 2012, 16:42 9 1
Stop going on about your son no one cares this is a tech site not a family discussion group
And your not answering his question because you cant
13. the_best posted on 23 Oct 2012, 15:05 3 1
yep, okay so heres the choice we hopefully can make by christmas, ipad mini or Microsoft Surface?
one of them have tons of new features and the other is small... hmm this is hard!
6. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 23 Oct 2012, 14:51 11 1
Exactly the ONLY new feature is that it's not a Retina display. It has a sorry 163ppi.
21. Savage posted on 23 Oct 2012, 15:34 6 0
Funny seeing how Apple's selling point for its previous devices was the "REVOLUTIONARY RETINA DISPLAY BLAH BLAH BLAH" and now they conveniently left it out of the Mini. Bet they'll release the Mini next year with it.
30. SleepingOz posted on 23 Oct 2012, 16:24 4 0
Yeah, like 30 Jan 2013!
45. Droid_X_Doug posted on 23 Oct 2012, 23:08 0 0
Sounds like this is version 0.9. Wait until the next edition (2.0?) is released. That will come with Retina display and A6X chip (because the iPad 5 will be released with an A7X chip). My take away is that the Mini is a more portable e-mail and content (iBooks?) consumption iDevice.
Somehow, I really wish VZW would get off their ass and release the Note II.
3. abdane posted on 23 Oct 2012, 14:46 6 0
how is this compared to the nexus 7 ??? just one advantage is rear camera... anything else ???
7. tedkord posted on 23 Oct 2012, 14:52 12 1
Well, it's got the apple logo in the back. That's all you need to know, right?
16. chronopc posted on 23 Oct 2012, 15:10 3 0
You also get to pay $130 extra to be the envy of your neighbor.
In all honesty, people will get this cause it's an Apple product. It's just like back in the day with the iPod.
28. SleepingOz posted on 23 Oct 2012, 16:18 3 0
"back in the day with the iPod"
Ermm..? Isn't this the new iPod touch L?
33. Lift_Off posted on 23 Oct 2012, 17:26 0 2
yes. bigger screen, bigger webpages cause of no on screen buttons, faster, and many more apps than android tabs, super lightweight.
40. PapaSmurf posted on 23 Oct 2012, 18:16 1 0
1) Nexus 7 blows iPad out of the water in terms of speed thanks to project butter.
2) On screen buttons > same circle with a square in the middle since 07
3) 250,000 apps dedicated to the iPad, while Nexus 7 has access to over 650,000 - 700,000 soon enough.
4) Super lightweight --- Size of the tab + weight is going to be awkward...
5) Lightning - OMG. WOW. Better carry your charger around because not many people have the new charger. Micro USB is adapted pretty much everywhere.
Nice try though.
53. Lift_Off posted on 24 Oct 2012, 15:14 0 1
1) ...no.. project butter improves responsiveness. Im talking about the A6x and the speed and graphics power you're going to get with it, so ya its more powerful than the nexus.
2) I'm not bashing the design of the on screen buttons, so you don't need to bash the home button lol
3) access to.. ya. not optimized for, which the 250,000 for the mini are optimized.
4) It's won't be awkward at all. the lighter the better. It will make it easier to hold it in one hand for long periods of time (reading, ect.)
5) didn't bring up the lightning cord, but if you want to throw that in there then have fun bashing a usb cable.
Nice try, though.
The only thing the nexus has going for it is price. It's a pretty known fact that the ipad kills android tablets. Now as for phones, thats a whole different battle. I enjoy both platforms for my smartphones.
43. remixfa posted on 23 Oct 2012, 22:45 0 0
you do realize that there is an option in android for
1) multiple full browsers, take your pick
2) removing the top nav bar is an option on nearly every android browser, including chrome.
This was a crap advertisement for the crap tablet, and not much else. They are just trying to shine it in its best light... and it really needs it because its a pretty sad piece of tech.
9. 7ceez posted on 23 Oct 2012, 14:56 0 0
Meh....I mean it's nice and all but why would I get it if I already have an idevice... Think it's time for something new and more productive.
10. RaKithAPeiRiZ posted on 23 Oct 2012, 14:57 3 0
Number of iPad mini articles are too damn high
11. Fayeznoor posted on 23 Oct 2012, 14:59 2 0
"Ipad Mini is great for reading your email, surfing the web, managing your photos." tim cook
few months ago, the world was told Ipad 9.7 incher is best for reading your email, surfing the web, managing your photos."
25. sithvenger (banned) posted on 23 Oct 2012, 15:53 0 2
Your comment said the mini is great, and the full size is best. Best means ideal, great mean excellent. Your comment failed to prove anything other than one is great, and one is ideal.
51. someones4 posted on 24 Oct 2012, 03:51 1 0
first of: your second sentence makes no sense to me so i will ignore it.
secondly: Tim cook and steve jobs are wrong. No tablet size is perfect. You still need both hands for either size. Neither is better.
29. SleepingOz posted on 23 Oct 2012, 16:21 3 0
No, you're viewing it wrong!
It's resolutionary! And Magical! And Mindblowing! baah.. baah..
36. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 23 Oct 2012, 17:47 0 0
im pretty sure it wont be that bad.. i mean it got iPad 2 specs..and iPad 2 isnt that bad!
17. chronopc posted on 23 Oct 2012, 15:12 2 0
How the heck is the lighting port a feature? What next phonearena? Is the option of getting it in black or white a feature as well?
19. sithvenger (banned) posted on 23 Oct 2012, 15:20 0 1
Apple you can never win with a certain part of the android community, so just keep doing what you do and satisfy those who use Apple products, and let the rest use what they wanna use.
22. redmd posted on 23 Oct 2012, 15:37 0 0
does it have cellular radio? can make calls and texts? if not, then it does not bring anything new to the tablet world except that size.
23. devildlm1 posted on 23 Oct 2012, 15:44 0 0
You know what got me. Between the iPhone 5 and all 4.3"+ phones, apple tried to make the case that they are too big for one handed use and bash the larger phones constantly.
Then they had the nerve to try to demonstrate a 7.9" tablet using one hand...
26. remixfa posted on 23 Oct 2012, 15:55 4 1
1- 2 generations old CPU..
2- low density screen
3- what's the resolution? Unless its the same as a previous Ipad/iphone, its going to have compatibility issues out the ying yang with apps. Hope you like black bars.
4- still $100 per memory bump..
5- starts more expensive than an N7, then gets up to nearly ipad3 cost if you want lots of memory..
6- that APPS logic IS A FAIL. Android tablets have 500K+ APPS. It doesnt need "specialized apps". Why? Because Android Apps are designed to scale accordingly... unlike iOS where you get those lovely black bars everywhere to make them compatible. The app arguement is an idiot's argument.
The mini is a fail. Its for idiots.. period. Unless your already invested in iOS, there is zero reason to chose it over the N7 or a Kindle HD.
The ipad mini is only going to take sales away from apple, not from others.
27. MattAdorno posted on 23 Oct 2012, 16:05 1 0
I think it looks nice, but the price is just too high.
The always price last years version of the tablet a $100 bucks less than the new model. Which means when the iPad 4 comes out you can grab an ipad 3 for $400.
At $329 its just too high to be in the 'budget' range, but the specs are just seem low for it to be a premium device. It was always going to be a someone what of a niche device but Apple split the difference and it really doesn't fit into the whole 'cheap, budget friendly' option and the 'smaller, high end" option.
35. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 23 Oct 2012, 17:46 0 1
wrong grammar at number 14, the siri part! "It's got Siri" i think it should be "It Got Siri" :)
44. remixfa posted on 23 Oct 2012, 22:46 0 0
no.. actually it shouldn't. stop while your behind. And because is not spelled "coz" either.
37. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 23 Oct 2012, 17:56 0 2
a lot of people so negative about apple...
its just the rule of being famous... "if you have thousands of fans, expect to have thousands of haters"
im pretty sure that iPad mini and iPad 4 will still be at the top coz its an iDevice... a device that really looks and feels premium --- dont look cheap coz of plastic body!
and im pretty sure that iPad mini will sell hot coz it will be available worldwide before the year end...while nexus 7 and kindle fire HD isnt available in my country...you need to order on amazon or whatever retail store and pay double..while iPad mini will be price a little higher than its original price!
39. melvineus posted on 23 Oct 2012, 18:10 1 0
All new features? I thought im about to read somethin interesting here
41. someones4 posted on 23 Oct 2012, 19:00 2 2
lighter than nexus 7?I thought ifans like it heavy so that it 'feels premium'.
Aluminium body? have they learned nothing from iphone5?
No onscreen button? Same as all apple products.
In short, nothing here is new. Even the processor is old.
i was right to say apple deals with old tech to maximize profits. Maybe they made it for kids.....
42. xtremesv posted on 23 Oct 2012, 20:40 0 0
new: different from one of the same category that has existed previously. Merriam-Webster.
As I see it the sole novelty on the iPad Mini is its size compared only to the other iPads.
48. ddeath posted on 24 Oct 2012, 00:58 1 0
No point buying this, when next year they will release one with their so called 'retina' display. Then everyone starts cursing and buying again.
Premium release? Already got one in my hands which is better, the Galaxy Tab 7.7, released one year ago. The iPad mini is already obsolete once released. Now we know why they want to ban the 7.7 with their ridiculous black rectangle rounded corners patent.
50. ElektronicGeek91 posted on 24 Oct 2012, 01:41 1 0
Phone Arena has to be a group of iFanboys if they think those are new features.