Apple iPad mini: here are all the new features
Now, as the excitement starts to slowly fade away let’s take a look at all of its new features. Most of them aren’t really new as we’ve all heard the rumors, seen the leaked pictures, mockup, we knew it all.
What we didn’t have is Apple’s context on why this tablet is important and why it chose those particular features and that particular 7.85-inch form factor. And - as Microsoft’s Steve Ballmer would probably say if he was on stage today - it’s the screen, screen, screen. But also apps, LTE, and an affordable price. Well, check it all out in our summary of the iPad mini new features below.
Apple iPad mini new features Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
Apple iPad mini new features
1. Screen, screen, screen: 7.85 inches
2. But it’s not Retina
3. 35% larger display area
4. 49% larger webpages
5. The new iPad is very thin at 7.2mm
6. It’s also very lightweight
7. This makes it great for reading and holding with one hand
8. Apps: did you know Apple has 275,000 of them made for tablets?
9. A5 chip powers it: the same one as on iPad 2
10. LTE versions
11. FaceTime HD camera
12. 5MP iSight rear camera
14. It’s got Siri
15. 10-hour battery life
16. All aluminum body
17. Prices start at $329 for Wi-Fi only
18. And $459 for LTE-enabled iPad mini
19. You can pre-order it on Friday
20. iPad mini release date is November 2nd (but for Wi-Fi only)
21. How do you like the new iPad mini?
1. sithvenger (banned) (Posts: 371; Member since: 25 Aug 2012)
That is one sweet looking piece of a machine. If I didn't have an ipad3, I'd b all over it. Nice job apple.
34. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1059; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Againso what exactly are the amazing, revolutionary and extraordinary new features that arent available in other ipad versions?
Superficial tablet for the same class of people...as a student not a feasible choice
46. GTR722 (Posts: 209; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
Very dissapointed at PA, this "article" looks more like an Ad for Apple
47. Lifengineer (Posts: 38; Member since: 15 Dec 2011)
It is unfortunately!
This Victor thing is sooooooooooo apple fanboy!!!
49. ElektronicGeek91 (Posts: 105; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
sooo by looking at what features it has...ummm i guess its not worth buying?? aha
54. E.N. (Posts: 2218; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Anyone who has any sense about them would quickly realize that this isn't suppose to replace the iPad line....
2. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
New features? All other iPads have those. So just because a tablet shrunk, they became new?
5. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
Okay here's your chance. Tell me whats new about this iPad. I'll help you fill.
1) Smaller and more portable screen - check.
12. sithvenger (banned) (Posts: 371; Member since: 25 Aug 2012)
If u think for one second I'm about to get into a pointless debate about this iPad, then u r absolutely nuts. All I know is my son wants one, and as good a kid as he is and his high gpa...he's got one coming.
31. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Stop going on about your son no one cares this is a tech site not a family discussion group
And your not answering his question because you cant
13. the_best (Posts: 130; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
yep, okay so heres the choice we hopefully can make by christmas, ipad mini or Microsoft Surface?
one of them have tons of new features and the other is small... hmm this is hard!
6. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3515; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Exactly the ONLY new feature is that it's not a Retina display. It has a sorry 163ppi.
21. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
Funny seeing how Apple's selling point for its previous devices was the "REVOLUTIONARY RETINA DISPLAY BLAH BLAH BLAH" and now they conveniently left it out of the Mini. Bet they'll release the Mini next year with it.
45. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5276; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Sounds like this is version 0.9. Wait until the next edition (2.0?) is released. That will come with Retina display and A6X chip (because the iPad 5 will be released with an A7X chip). My take away is that the Mini is a more portable e-mail and content (iBooks?) consumption iDevice.
Somehow, I really wish VZW would get off their ass and release the Note II.
3. abdane (Posts: 471; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
how is this compared to the nexus 7 ??? just one advantage is rear camera... anything else ???
7. tedkord (Posts: 3907; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Well, it's got the apple logo in the back. That's all you need to know, right?
16. chronopc (Posts: 86; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
You also get to pay $130 extra to be the envy of your neighbor.
In all honesty, people will get this cause it's an Apple product. It's just like back in the day with the iPod.
28. SleepingOz (Posts: 2464; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
"back in the day with the iPod"
Ermm..? Isn't this the new iPod touch L?
33. Lift_Off (Posts: 150; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
yes. bigger screen, bigger webpages cause of no on screen buttons, faster, and many more apps than android tabs, super lightweight.
40. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6613; Member since: 14 May 2012)
1) Nexus 7 blows iPad out of the water in terms of speed thanks to project butter.
2) On screen buttons > same circle with a square in the middle since 07
3) 250,000 apps dedicated to the iPad, while Nexus 7 has access to over 650,000 - 700,000 soon enough.
4) Super lightweight --- Size of the tab + weight is going to be awkward...
5) Lightning - OMG. WOW. Better carry your charger around because not many people have the new charger. Micro USB is adapted pretty much everywhere.
Nice try though.
53. Lift_Off (Posts: 150; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
1) ...no.. project butter improves responsiveness. Im talking about the A6x and the speed and graphics power you're going to get with it, so ya its more powerful than the nexus.
2) I'm not bashing the design of the on screen buttons, so you don't need to bash the home button lol
3) access to.. ya. not optimized for, which the 250,000 for the mini are optimized.
4) It's won't be awkward at all. the lighter the better. It will make it easier to hold it in one hand for long periods of time (reading, ect.)
5) didn't bring up the lightning cord, but if you want to throw that in there then have fun bashing a usb cable.
Nice try, though.
The only thing the nexus has going for it is price. It's a pretty known fact that the ipad kills android tablets. Now as for phones, thats a whole different battle. I enjoy both platforms for my smartphones.
43. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you do realize that there is an option in android for
1) multiple full browsers, take your pick
2) removing the top nav bar is an option on nearly every android browser, including chrome.
This was a crap advertisement for the crap tablet, and not much else. They are just trying to shine it in its best light... and it really needs it because its a pretty sad piece of tech.
8. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 227; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Wow that's one huge list of "features" .
9. 7ceez (Posts: 26; Member since: 08 Sep 2011)
Meh....I mean it's nice and all but why would I get it if I already have an idevice... Think it's time for something new and more productive.
10. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1223; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Number of iPad mini articles are too damn high
11. Fayeznoor (Posts: 65; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
"Ipad Mini is great for reading your email, surfing the web, managing your photos." tim cook
few months ago, the world was told Ipad 9.7 incher is best for reading your email, surfing the web, managing your photos."
25. sithvenger (banned) (Posts: 371; Member since: 25 Aug 2012)
Your comment said the mini is great, and the full size is best. Best means ideal, great mean excellent. Your comment failed to prove anything other than one is great, and one is ideal.
51. someones4 (Posts: 613; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
first of: your second sentence makes no sense to me so i will ignore it.
secondly: Tim cook and steve jobs are wrong. No tablet size is perfect. You still need both hands for either size. Neither is better.
14. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
163 ppi is pretty bad for an apple product.
29. SleepingOz (Posts: 2464; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
No, you're viewing it wrong!
It's resolutionary! And Magical! And Mindblowing! baah.. baah..
36. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
im pretty sure it wont be that bad.. i mean it got iPad 2 specs..and iPad 2 isnt that bad!
17. chronopc (Posts: 86; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
How the heck is the lighting port a feature? What next phonearena? Is the option of getting it in black or white a feature as well?
18. Ravail (Posts: 181; Member since: 14 Oct 2011)
Ill still take the Nexus 7 over this iPad Mini
19. sithvenger (banned) (Posts: 371; Member since: 25 Aug 2012)
Apple you can never win with a certain part of the android community, so just keep doing what you do and satisfy those who use Apple products, and let the rest use what they wanna use.
20. kindlefireowner (Posts: 311; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Can it play flash. My Kindle Fire can.
22. redmd (Posts: 785; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
does it have cellular radio? can make calls and texts? if not, then it does not bring anything new to the tablet world except that size.
23. devildlm1 (Posts: 68; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
You know what got me. Between the iPhone 5 and all 4.3"+ phones, apple tried to make the case that they are too big for one handed use and bash the larger phones constantly.
Then they had the nerve to try to demonstrate a 7.9" tablet using one hand...
26. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
1- 2 generations old CPU..
2- low density screen
3- what's the resolution? Unless its the same as a previous Ipad/iphone, its going to have compatibility issues out the ying yang with apps. Hope you like black bars.
4- still $100 per memory bump..
5- starts more expensive than an N7, then gets up to nearly ipad3 cost if you want lots of memory..
6- that APPS logic IS A FAIL. Android tablets have 500K+ APPS. It doesnt need "specialized apps". Why? Because Android Apps are designed to scale accordingly... unlike iOS where you get those lovely black bars everywhere to make them compatible. The app arguement is an idiot's argument.
The mini is a fail. Its for idiots.. period. Unless your already invested in iOS, there is zero reason to chose it over the N7 or a Kindle HD.
The ipad mini is only going to take sales away from apple, not from others.
27. MattAdorno (Posts: 19; Member since: 24 Jul 2012)
I think it looks nice, but the price is just too high.
The always price last years version of the tablet a $100 bucks less than the new model. Which means when the iPad 4 comes out you can grab an ipad 3 for $400.
At $329 its just too high to be in the 'budget' range, but the specs are just seem low for it to be a premium device. It was always going to be a someone what of a niche device but Apple split the difference and it really doesn't fit into the whole 'cheap, budget friendly' option and the 'smaller, high end" option.
35. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
wrong grammar at number 14, the siri part! "It's got Siri" i think it should be "It Got Siri" :)
44. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
no.. actually it shouldn't. stop while your behind. And because is not spelled "coz" either.
37. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
a lot of people so negative about apple...
its just the rule of being famous... "if you have thousands of fans, expect to have thousands of haters"
im pretty sure that iPad mini and iPad 4 will still be at the top coz its an iDevice... a device that really looks and feels premium --- dont look cheap coz of plastic body!
and im pretty sure that iPad mini will sell hot coz it will be available worldwide before the year end...while nexus 7 and kindle fire HD isnt available in my country...you need to order on amazon or whatever retail store and pay double..while iPad mini will be price a little higher than its original price!
39. melvineus (Posts: 17; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
All new features? I thought im about to read somethin interesting here
41. someones4 (Posts: 613; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
lighter than nexus 7?I thought ifans like it heavy so that it 'feels premium'.
Aluminium body? have they learned nothing from iphone5?
No onscreen button? Same as all apple products.
In short, nothing here is new. Even the processor is old.
i was right to say apple deals with old tech to maximize profits. Maybe they made it for kids.....
42. xtremesv (Posts: 180; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
new: different from one of the same category that has existed previously. Merriam-Webster.
As I see it the sole novelty on the iPad Mini is its size compared only to the other iPads.
48. ddeath (Posts: 152; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
No point buying this, when next year they will release one with their so called 'retina' display. Then everyone starts cursing and buying again.
Premium release? Already got one in my hands which is better, the Galaxy Tab 7.7, released one year ago. The iPad mini is already obsolete once released. Now we know why they want to ban the 7.7 with their ridiculous black rectangle rounded corners patent.
50. ElektronicGeek91 (Posts: 105; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Phone Arena has to be a group of iFanboys if they think those are new features.