Apple iPad mini 2 is finally here: 64-bit A7 chip and Retina display
We did touch on the annoyances that the rumor stage of the iPad mini 2’s development caused, so it goes without saying that we’re pretty much obligated to talk about the display on the iPad mini 2. We’re happy to see that our perseverance has paid off and that a new, high-resolution screen is a fact on the Apple iPad mini 2. Running at 2048x1536 pixels (326 ppi), the 7.9-inch display on the new tab will certainly not lack in detail.
Price and release date
So how much will Apple have you cough up for the new iPad mini 2? The Apple iPad mini 2 pricing starts at $399 for the 16GB and goes all the way up to $699 for the whopping 128GB Wi-Fi version. If you're looking for a truly portable experience, than prepare to dole out $529/$629/$729/$829 for the 16GB/32GB/64GB/128GB LTE variants, respectively.
Apple iPad mini 2 Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
Is this the LG G3: specs for top-shelf Sprint-bound LG phone leak out
11 Apr 2014, 05:03
Apple iPad mini 2
42. zuckerboy (Posts: 702; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
what did you expect ? an ipad with cofee machine ?
48. theoak (Posts: 318; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
At least there is only one model now for all carriers. I can buy a Mini Retina or an Air ... and it does not matter what carrier I am on ... I can even switch if wanted/needed.
97. Galen20K (Posts: 504; Member since: 26 Dec 2008)
VERY good point. I think it's important to get to a position where we aren't tied down to any one carrier in the USA and be able to change carriers every week if we'd like.
79. zuckerboy (Posts: 702; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
as all apple pruducts... so this is expected
73. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
It is overpriced, but that A7 integrated in the iPad mini 2 is tempting..
2. Ninetysix (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Too awesome. No more recycled old parts. What are the nokia/fandroid guys going to say now?
7. shields.gm (Posts: 6; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Glad you guys finally made it to the party :)
10. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1618; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
No need to start a flame war troll go back to your cave!
19. Ninetysix (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
@work right now munching on some Raisinets. Sup?
11. silencer271 (Posts: 145; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
over priced more of the same and its not magical?
16. Bootutu (Posts: 160; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Shut up already, no one said they are rubbish, you are just dwelling on your insecurities, anyways ipad mini 2 looks awesome.
32. pookiewood (Posts: 524; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
I can't speak for anyone else but Surface 2 or 2520? Hmmm?
63. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6606; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Nothing is groundbreaking about the 2520 especially when it shares the same price point of the iPad Air.
iPad Air > 2520
38. taz89 (Posts: 1943; Member since: 03 May 2011)
only thing imo which is not right is keeping the ipad 2 at still 399, it was 399 nearly 18months ago so considering it has over 2 year old spec it should at the most got a price drop to 299 same as the mini but really they should have kept the ipad 4 instead they go with the even older model and not even the ipad 3. they must be making a huge profit margin on the the ipad 2 . also with the the ipad 2 still having the old 30 pin connector which you would think apple would want to eradicate it asap. 399 for an ipad 2, if anyone buys that they are clueless, you would much rather have the retina mini for 399.
102. iushnt (Posts: 461; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
what extra things can we do here compared from ipad mini 1?
3. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5632; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
So u guys want the NSA to record your finger prints?
5. Ninetysix (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
They already have it because of the Motorola Atrix and HTC One Max. I have nothing to hide. They can get your fingerprint if they want to.
26. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6606; Member since: 14 May 2012)
My fingerprints are already in the hands of the federal government due to my previous job so I could care less lol.
33. Ninetysix (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
InspectorGadget80 wears gloves 24/7. They will NEVER get his fingerprint! EVA!!!
Does he replace them when he gets doodoo stains on them? Dunno..
51. Commentator (Posts: 2169; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I'm wondering how he gets an internet-signal in his shack 1,000 miles from civilization.
57. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6606; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I laughed more than I should have lol.
77. Ninetysix (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Pigeons flying back and forth carying a piece of paper with binary code.
100. RoyalPayne (banned) (Posts: 458; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
You'll push him to suicide dude! STAHHHHP! =D
47. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 830; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I thought you decided not to visit PA on the 22nd.
56. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6606; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I got out of college two hours early and didn't have to show up to work today, so I'm free as a bird.
93. darkkjedii (Posts: 9255; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
With Dorothy69 banned, you've became a lot cooler now. What gives dude?
9. Commentator (Posts: 2169; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Because their entire operation was based on the iPad having a finger-print scanner. There's literally NO other way for them to get it now.
45. itreday (Posts: 68; Member since: 24 May 2012)
Who cares.. They already know everything else. What would they do with a fingerprint? Your not a criminal are you?
105. ThePython (Posts: 142; Member since: 08 May 2013)
You have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide.
4. Commentator (Posts: 2169; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
darkjedii is (apparently) unavailable for comment at the moment, but I'm sure he'd want you all to know that his wife is going to get one in gold.
...Assuming it comes in gold, that is. Any news on what colors this will be available in?
13. Ninetysix (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
^LOL. He's probably @the gym and hitting up a buffet on the Vegas strip afterwards.
95. darkkjedii (Posts: 9255; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude I sucked at the gym today, no intensity whatsoever. If you get out to Vegas soon, skip the $30 strip buffets and go to the $14 feast buffet at Texas Station Hotel...awesome grub
18. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6606; Member since: 14 May 2012)
darkk is going to pick up the iPad Mini w/ Retina Display (that was a mouthful) despite what the haters on the site say. It's his money, so who cares?
28. Sakeem (Posts: 130; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Wrong. His wife is going to buy them. He bought the phones. It's her money so who cares?
43. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6606; Member since: 14 May 2012)
When you're married, everything that you own belongs to the spouse. With that being said, it's his money.
80. pokedude750 (Posts: 28; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Uuuhhh... I don't think you understand how marriage works.
59. Sakeem (Posts: 130; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
I hear you. I'm married and know that full well. I was just repeating what he said numerous times.
96. darkkjedii (Posts: 9255; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
No Sakeem and Smurf, EclipseGSX is gonna buy it lol.
21. itreday (Posts: 68; Member since: 24 May 2012)
Space gray/black, Silver/white. No gold option.
94. darkkjedii (Posts: 9255; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
@Commentator I'm available bro, @Ninetysix that was a good one @my man Smurf you're right dude, what's mine is hers, what's hers is hers lol. Sad at the lack of gold option, but liking this puppy, and yes Commentator she's buying it.
6. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1618; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Good tablet and beutiful design but the Nexus & 2013 just edges it out for me but defiantly the iPad air!! Good job though apple!
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6606; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'm still surprised they put the same resolution from it's older brother in the 7.9" display. Kudos to Apple.
40. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3643; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I hate to say I told you so about the Retina display and A7, but... I did :)
46. Commentator (Posts: 2169; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Hey, no need for "I told you so's" here (although I REAAAALY had to hold back my urge to do so as well).
I'm genuinely impressed by Apple today, which is something I haven't been able to say for a couple years now.
I hope they continue this trend with a larger 4.5-5 inch iPhone next year.
75. funchumm1206 (Posts: 52; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
The same size of the moto x will do imo. all that power in a 4 inch screen is kinda cramped.
83. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3643; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I was really impressed as well. It was constantly back and forth on whether the iPad mini 2 would have Retina or not, but Apple gave the final answer today, the best answer thankfully.
If they really do make the iPhone 6 with a 4.3"+ display, I'll definitely get it unless Motorola wins me over again next year. The only reason I didn't get a 5S over my Droid Mini was because of the bigger (mainly wider) display and I didn't think I part with a few Android features (NFC, widgets, USB mass storage). I bet iOS 8 will come even closer to Android's feature set, or at least have alternatives, which will make it easier for me to switch.
I'm loving Apple's new management so far. Tim Cook and Jony Ive are proving their worth.
49. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6606; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I knew you were going to say something lol. Yes, I was wrong and you were right. This rarely happens, but I was proven wrong.
You, my friend, deserve this +1.
85. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3643; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Thanks lol. Even I was starting to lose hope in the last couple days, but Apple pulled through in the end (never thought I'd say that).
+1 right back to you.
12. ijklmnop (Posts: 18; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
One moment of silence for those wgo bought ipad mini recently;-)
74. funchumm1206 (Posts: 52; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
I just did.. Less than a month ago. Damn I should have waited for that new mini to arrive. Lol
88. Commentator (Posts: 2169; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I got one as a birthday present in September. Returned it to Best Buy immediately (with the bestower's blessing, of course). $70 extra is a small price to pay for a tablet sporting current specs vs. 2+ year-old specs.