Apple iPad Air is now official with lighter and slimmer design, upgraded hardware
0. phoneArena 22 Oct 2013, 13:10 posted on
Almost exactly a year after we saw Apple open the gates for the entrance of the chic, but unchanged iPad 4, the Cupertino-based company is back with another 9.7-inch tablet offering. Bound to spar with dozens of considerably better prepared rivals, this time around it should be noted that it was in Apple's interest to up the ante and not chase enticing margins. Unsurprisingly, this is exactly what the tech giant has done, for the iPad 5, in particular, comes packed with a bunch of new goodies that are bound to take the fancy even of the more devout Android followers out there...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Ninetysix (Posts: 1712; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Where's the gold color version? The best just became better.
7. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
true but really that sounded so fanboyish!!
2. Commentator (Posts: 2557; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
And nary a fingerprint-scanner to be found...
They weren't kidding about those supply issues.
21. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Apple does it on purpose. IPad mino didn't have retina so a later one can have retina forcing users to pay $ for it.
53. Finalflash (Posts: 1945; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Who cares, they pulled an iPhone 5 again. Shafted iPad is now the lower end iPad, either pay them the money or be shafted LOL.
5. Commentator (Posts: 2557; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
No, this is the iPad Air article. I think you're looking for the Lumia 2520 article. Sorry, PhoneArena CAN be a little confusing sometimes.
6. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Is this the iPad 5 or is it separate?? Anyway it now is definately iPad for full sized tablet but android still runs phone and 7 inch tablets.
Well done apple you have actually surprised us!!
45. NexusPhan (Posts: 567; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Ya. It looks like they are going with the Google Nexus naming. (Or you could say like the Apple computer naming) Device family, year released. Makes it confusing but I agree with the move.
18. Commentator (Posts: 2557; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Biggest surprise is that the new Mini is identical to the Air spec-wise (except screen-size, of course) for $100 less.
20. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9070; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I know! I might pick one up for my father on Black Friday.
24. Commentator (Posts: 2557; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Who do you think you are? Darkjedii?!
28. itreday (Posts: 68; Member since: 24 May 2012)
Also add the fact that the mini has a better screen as far as pixel density. It makes it a better product all around.
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9070; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Not going to lie, it's beautiful. iPad Mini 2 has a Retina resolution. o:
46. NexusPhan (Posts: 567; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
At $399. That's insane. Anyone who buys that is a serious sucker.
Also, talk about fragmentation. Add yet another screen size to the Apple portfolio.
49. ThePython (Posts: 450; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Not insane... it's one of the thinnest 7' tablets out there with a massive resolution.
Talk about fragmentation -- Latest OS in over 70% of its products including updated apps.
22. Commentator (Posts: 2557; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
You corrected yourself a minute later, meaning you could've just as easily edited your original comment, and we'd be none-the-wiser to your original mistake.
14. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6802; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Another over size ipod touch. And half of a regular consumer still won't know the difference.
19. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Lol, this 'Oversized iPod touch" is still the best tablet...that is coming from the guy who adores android but has to admit the only other tablet that comes close os the Nexus 10!
58. solomonsteve (Posts: 75; Member since: 19 Dec 2012)
Its not the best tablet to me. Its just an over-sized ipod touch ,thats all. Surface Pro 2 is far better
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9070; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You didn't see the keynote I suppose. iPad Air is fu----g beautiful.
29. greathero1 (Posts: 505; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Why must you repeat the same lame comments over and over again? You've been here 2 1/2 years and you would think at some point you would get tired of saying the same stuff over and over again. I mean, really?
34. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9070; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Simple - he wants green thumbs added to his posts. If there is one user that should be taken a as joke on this site, he's at the top of my list.
16. theoak (Posts: 322; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
No Touch ID :(
300 Mbps Wireless N ... about time.
17. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
iPad air name is defiantley a marketing gimmick i think!!
26. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9070; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Apple ran out of names by the third iPad lol.
55. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6802; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Now people is going to say isn't that a air mac?
25. Sakeem (Posts: 305; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Good job. I am surprised they gave the mini everything the full size one has. It's going to be a hit for sure. No fingerprint scanning though.....saving that for the next one????
32. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 405; Member since: 24 May 2011)
ipad air > lumia 2520...
samsung ativ q > ipad air
I'll still go for the ipad mini though. Ativ Q is waayyy above my budget.
36. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9070; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The only thing that can touch the Active Q is the Note 10.1. Samsung has the best tablets on the market followed by the new iPad Air.
43. apple4never (Posts: 993; Member since: 08 May 2013)
i still think the ipad is too expensive
33. becazican (Posts: 52; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
hmmmm don see any reason to get a new ipad if you have one, its a little bit lighter big deal . I don't understand what all the fuss was about. I own an I mac and an ipad
37. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9070; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It's the same with every model release... Shouldn't be a surprise to you.
41. itreday (Posts: 68; Member since: 24 May 2012)
I think if you have a full sized iPad the upgrade is worthy since the air is a lot smaller, also the a7 chip would make good use since iPad apps a more intensive the iPhone apps. If you have a non retina iPad I really think it's worth the upgrade to air or retina mini.
35. ThePython (Posts: 450; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Pretty decent upgrade, but... iPad Air? That name is awful.
39. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9070; Member since: 14 May 2012)
No it isn't. It's better than calling it the 'iPad 5.'
38. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 212; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Why don't the new iPads support the latest Wi-Fi standards? My 6 month old Galaxy S4 does, my brothers new Note3 does. Why not the iPads? Not fanboying or trolling, just honestly curious.
40. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9070; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Apple will add it next year forcing you to upgrade. That's how Apple conducts it's business.
56. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 212; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Their newest Airport Extremes have AC compatability, I really don't understand why they wouldn't put it in their latest and greatest iPads.
42. itreday (Posts: 68; Member since: 24 May 2012)
I kinda thought that with them changing the name to iPad air that they would add a larger screen option iPad pro, making it similar to the macbook naming scheme.
44. vaibhavaggarwal (Posts: 44; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
any word on the RAM ? Hope it's 2 GB.
47. vaibhavaggarwal (Posts: 44; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
meh....no touch I.D, no A7X processor, lower PPI than the new mini, most probably 1 GB RAM, no improved camera.....
Anybody else feeling disappointed ?
51. funchumm1206 (Posts: 52; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
I'd rather get the ipad mini with retina display than this ipad air(ran out of name ideas apple?). They have identical specs exept for the size and the price which is $100 less.
57. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 447; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
I was hoping for a more powerful GPU for the A7 that will be called as the A7X. You killed the "AXX" CPUs for the iPads, Apple! I'll wait for the 6th gen to replace my 4th gen iPad.
59. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1310; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
IPad air? Where is iPad 5? Why not I iair?