Apple iOS 8, the biggest update since the App Store roll-out, has arrived: here's all you need to know
0. phoneArena 02 Jun 2014, 16:32 posted on
Apple’s WWDC 2014 is off to a blazing start with the official introduction of iOS 8, the biggest update to Apple’s mobile operating system…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. blackberry_Boy (Posts: 201; Member since: 27 May 2014)
All those updates is a bunch of BS apple really need to get it together
37. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
yes even blackberry fans mock apple.
76. blackberry_Boy (Posts: 201; Member since: 27 May 2014)
Yes I'm a blackberry fan and I have a had all the flagship high end phones I work in the industry the reason why my user name is blackberry_boy because there legendary they were one of the first smart phones that everyone had at open point like the iPhone I'm a iphone fan it's just they need to turn it up all the way to be really in the game but nevertheless people will still buy if only one thing was updated
17. Duketytz (Posts: 534; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
I'm guessing one day all the major OS will converge into a single similar OS
42. sriuslywtf (Posts: 297; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
WHat the hell are you? Are you on marijuana? Do you live in Colorado?
34. slaggyb (Posts: 194; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
and iphonearena calls every minor update biggest. absolutely ridiculous.
49. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 734; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Because every new iphone or iOS update is juz addition of 3-4 features. Compared to that, this update is huge coz it has 8 features...
69. androtaku (Posts: 223; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
yea...its nothing compare to jelly bean OS feature in our Tesco tablet
67. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4641; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Is Android going to get royalties from the blatant copying iOS8 is doing?!?
2. Bioload25 (Posts: 213; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
I think iOS really needed some improvements in functionality, and iOS 8 is a big step in that direction
For me, iOS and WP, before the new updates, were really lacking in interface, customizations and functions (file management, third party apps integrated in the UI, widgets, notifications center...), but now both OSs can have wider consumers range and can interest Android users further
62. Droidrapist (Posts: 186; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Wtihout having to use little plastic phones with crapy touch screens lol
70. edditnyc (Posts: 4; Member since: 19 Apr 2014)
That's why they made the iPhone 5c, right? hmmm
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 15263; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Man I can't wait to use iOS 8. Much needed improvements, bring it Apple.
5. Sauce (unregistered)
I can't wait for iOS8s iMessage. The group chat improvements, settings, features, walkie talkie like voice texts, in-panel video viewing, and all the rest of the goodies that make the amazing iMessage even better. iOS8s iMessage puts SMS and most third party apps to shame.
Also excited for the 20gigs cloud storage for 0.99¢ is amazing, not to mention their larger yet cheap as dirt storage plans.
Photos app is going to be even better. Tons of nice, practical, useful features added. Not to mention photo searching and favorites.
iCloud Drive is gonna be sweet too.
Very nice update that everyone will get to enjoy.
11. bananana (Posts: 34; Member since: 27 Oct 2013)
really bro? how much does apply pay you? No. I'm serious. How freaking much?
19. Sauce (unregistered)
I'll tell you how much Apple pays me if you tell me how much daddy spends on your anger meds :D
29. bananana (Posts: 34; Member since: 27 Oct 2013)
atleast I have a dad! haha.. move on apple super fanboy.. move on...
57. refillable (Posts: 832; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
You don't have to tell us. We knew that it's not going to be more than the price of a 64GB iPhone 5S.
33. Nexus4lifes (Posts: 114; Member since: 13 Feb 2014)
last checked heep ate grass, so i guess that is wht they vouch for...
50. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 734; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
LOL.. His comment actually seems like paid one...
61. Droidrapist (Posts: 186; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Apple doesn't have to pay bloggers anything, they have enough Android fanboys spreading Apple news they might as well pay them for all the free advertising!
75. JoeDirt (Posts: 22; Member since: 19 Oct 2013)
The man is entitled to his opinion. You don't need to take the low road and act like he gets paid. He, like me and millions of other people enjoy Apple products because of the seamless product integration from a vertical company.
Everyone complains that Apple never announces anything ground breaking or "cutting edge" but in reality, when has Apple ever introduced a revolutionary product?
Apple doesn't try to be first. When have they ever? Apple tries to be the best. I think Journalists, Commentators and Experts miss the boat with their out of place expectations.
The following is a BASIC list of Apple products and ideas that were not the first of their kind. Apple simply did a better job of bringing them to customers.
And that's just scratching the surface.
That's my two cents anyways :)
12. darkkjedii (Posts: 15263; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Sauce, I just watched the keynote, and was floored by the new features and demos. iOS 8 is gonna be huge, and with these new big screen iPhones coming down the pipe...watch out. I will be in line early bro, can't miss out on launch day.
22. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4174; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
iOS 8 is awesome. It gave me everything I wanted. I'm waiting until Google I/O, we'll see if Android 5.0 and the Moto X+1 can keep Apple from stealing me this year.
48. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4174; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The 3rd party keyboards, and the new gaming API, Metal. Up to 10 times the performance in games compared to OpenGL, that's insane.
41. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
lmao. iFreakinDinosaurs. innovation at it's best.
43. joey_sfb (Posts: 4261; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Sauce is a Apple fanboy. Always mock Android and Samsung.
Based on this rehashed features set already available to Android. Apple market share will sink further.
58. Sauce (unregistered)
Looks like it keeps going up as we speak :D
Good try, fanboy.
63. joey_sfb (Posts: 4261; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
There is a chance with iPhone 6 larger screen but not with iOS 8.
Give me a feature that is unique and truly belongs to iOS.
73. mattkl (Posts: 193; Member since: 01 Feb 2010)
"Also excited for the 20gigs cloud storage for 0.99¢ is amazing"
$1.99 gets 100 Gigs through Google Drive, in-case you want a better deal.
39. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
lmaooo. you guys are a pitty. you get excited by widgets 3rd party keyboards and silly stuff already there for 4 years. we, android users, got bored of these a long time ago and sometimes we don't use them anymore. lmao big screened iPhones keyboards widgets and calculator from the "useful" control center. apple innovating at it's best. Dinosaurs. you guys seem like a person living on an island in the pacific with an 80s tv set and finally gets a 34 inch bulldozer and rejoices. this is what apple is, and what apple users are.
4. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1703; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
No change in looks but the biggest update since 2008 uh...what? Maybe the biggest file size lol. Who the hell approves these bias articles? Oh, it's written by iVictor no wonder.
30. cheetah2k (Posts: 1128; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Very true. Nothing has really changed for 7 years.... #overit
6. Leonis (Posts: 337; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
Yeah for all the people saying Apple wont change much.... I got it right again. I knew iOS 8 would be a big change since Ive only got 8-9 months to change things. This is the true Jony Ive spirit. More will come since they have realised they just have to.
7. jamesedward318 (Posts: 99; Member since: 25 Dec 2010)
I knew it would be one or two bitter @$$ cry babies who would refuse to give Apple their due credit. Seems like Apple just can't do right in the eyes of you cell phone gods huh? Let Apple live and be y'all! Seems like there is no longer a race war anymore. Its basically Apple vs Android. Sad.
27. Awalker (Posts: 963; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
It looks like they made a list of Android features and just copied them. They're getting the right response from Android users.
52. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 734; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
And they have so many sources to copy from.. Like everyone is inventing new features. Google, Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony.. All are making new things & making Android User experience + productivity better.. So Apple juz copied from all of them..
40. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
the claimed innovating company has stopped innovating 4 years ago. and now it's copying everything and playing catch up. that's what's bad, we're mocking features that has been present a long time ago in android.
8. sprockkets (Posts: 1573; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Biggest update since version 2? Bullsht.
Even apple doesn't believe that with ios7 and what the hell it did.
14. Ericzhf (Posts: 16; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
Biggest update means the biggest update size, not what's include.
So iOS 7 was 1.4G, iOS 8 will be 2G I guess.
25. sprockkets (Posts: 1573; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
If that was the reason then lol that's apple's rdf for you.
55. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1703; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Actually no where does the article say its update size or not. Very misleading
9. fzacek (Posts: 2465; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Why no iPhone 4 support? It's still a competent phone, not that much worse than the 4S...
18. TrePharaoh (Posts: 40; Member since: 22 Oct 2013)
The iPhone 4 is extremely slow and laggy even running ios 7. I doubt it'll survive with 8 if it had the chance.
15. fzacek (Posts: 2465; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Pretty much every single new feature in iOS 8 has been copied from Android. Apple is lucky that Google is too good-hearted to sue them, because Apple would not do the same for Google...
20. TrePharaoh (Posts: 40; Member since: 22 Oct 2013)
I'm looking more forward to OS X Yosemite. Only IOS improvement I'm looking forward to is the new messaging.
21. LuisM270 (Posts: 7; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
Hey it's Android with a iOS skin on it! Yes i'm a proudly Android user with a Nexus 5 and I'm saying that iOS 8 features are all from Android, none are "New". F**k you Apple!
53. eldyagustius (Posts: 169; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)
Surely 'Hello Siri' is a 'OK Google' copycat.. In my opinion,it's not a big deal if iOs copycats it from Android.. But what matters for me is Apple sues other party for what they called their patents.. Apple itself is truly a copycat..
24. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Wow now that's exciting!! I may try ios this year myself. Great job apple!
26. MEeee (Posts: 306; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
They going to file patents for these features and sue Samsung later on. Say Hi Galaxy to Hey Shiti.
28. samzkrnd (Posts: 14; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
apple fanboy wouldnt know that this is the basic android features in 2010..
31. LATOKYO (Posts: 8; Member since: 05 Dec 2013)
I don't know why everyone is so bedazzled by the iOS 8, they're only catching up. Most of the features in iOS8 WERE already on Android. People, stop worshipping everything Apple (or any other manufacturer) presents, be a little more critical.