Apple grows its business in India by 400% in a single quarter
0. phoneArena 08 Feb 2013, 07:37 posted on
Up until recently, Apple didn't have that much presence in India, but new data from The Economic Times reveals that the company has made some serious gains during the last three months...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
I love India and citizens... And if they ask me to burn the iDevice, I will do so :)
2. khizarali08 (Posts: 3; Member since: 08 Feb 2013)
I am an indian, and m asking you to please burn your iDevice. ;)
8. wendygarett (unregistered)
I don't burn my own iDevice, but I will burn one of them from the apple store :)
trust me, really!!! Lol
35. techspace (Posts: 1036; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
how can we believe you?....instead of burning it, give it to one of us ;)
14. tusshharish (Posts: 342; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
i am an indian and i tell you please burn your icrap idevice.......
i will give u a idea why dont you burn istore...
6. raunak (Posts: 507; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
i think this describes you.
7. wendygarett (unregistered)
Thank you for the information :)
21. TarunV (Posts: 28; Member since: 21 Jul 2012)
I'm also an Indian, and I also love my iPhone 5. And I seriously don't get it that why OSes to some people are a way of life. Just pick what you like, what suits you. Simple as that. No hate.
And I'm a developer so don't assume that I don't know the potential of Android before bashing.
I might be the only one here, but here it goes Wendy- I also support Apple and I love Apple products, as much as I love WP and Android. No hate. Just choices.
4. raunak (Posts: 507; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
India has no contract system so something like installments was needed because most people cant afford to spend more than 1000$ in one go for a smartphone. Only four or five of my friends have iphones most of them have androids.
10. xtplnet (Posts: 55; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
that's true man !! if they start giving iphone on contract in India then this will be one of the biggest market for both Apple and Android handset manufactures ..
18. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Contracts? They have reverse subsidies and everyone knows how much one pays more for these contracts. They work out too expensive. Card companies offer 0% EMI for 12 months. That's far better and one is not handcuffed by any operator (TRAI wouldn't really allow much leeway on handcuffing in India as people now can switch providers without change of numbers) . But Apple? If they have grown by 400% then their market share should have been 12-16% ... all this humbug :)
9. VJo003 (Posts: 357; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
It's positioned in India as a high premium product. The pricing mirrors that.
Iphone starts at 850 USD
11. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 328; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Given that they have good supporters here they should put india in their 1st world list along with other countries irrespective of a contract system. It's an immense market.
13. redea (Posts: 5; Member since: 08 Feb 2013)
I'm from India and I have never heard of redington or ingram micro. People who buy the iPhone want to show off.
19. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
If it jumped 400% market share should have been 12-16%. All this is sponsored humbug :)
24. predator93 (Posts: 122; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
They are distributors and now they may open apple/apple approved stores in India so more people may get to know about them.
30. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 328; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Actually if you read the papers daily you would have seen a whole page mentioning iphone 5 for sales, if you observe you can spot redington.
44. amansingal14 (Posts: 309; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
I am an Indian, and trust me, all of my friends consider iPhone to be a cheap piece of crap with a super expensive logo, which is according to me worthless. Here is what we believe in India -
1. iPhone is just a piece of hardware worth no more than 14000 INR (Almost 270-280 USD), with a logo on the back costing 30000 INR (Almost 600 USD), thus giving it a price tag of 44000 INR totally (Almost 900 USD).
2. Its better to buy a Nokia/Samsung/Sony Device, which is just superb for us.
3. Advanced communities in Delhi and Mumbai already have iCraps in their hands, and here is what they say - "It is just a status symbol for us. It has a crappy hardware and breaks too readily, thus we prefer Nokia and Sony, but again, they are not status symbols."
15. ibap (Posts: 758; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
If you go from 1 phone to 5 phones, that's an increase of 400%.
16. BigRed83 (Posts: 144; Member since: 19 May 2008)
Yeah, Apple increased their market share by 400%. They sold 4 this quarter.
36. techspace (Posts: 1036; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
they have earned more than 400 crores in the dec quarter......in india,the iphones are so expensive that even if they have a very small marketshare, they can easily earn crores of rupees....
37. techspace (Posts: 1036; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
and maybe these figures will force google to concentrate more on india......
17. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
what I find fascinating is that the iphone is in India... no need to thanks us... enjoy the iphone India
31. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 328; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Do you know how many Samsung and nokia phones sell here?? And its not from us.
32. Droiddoes (unregistered)
How is that 'fascinating'? Are you THAT simple?
34. techspace (Posts: 1036; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
as if we are paying you for the iphones
20. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Micromax smartphones have more market share than Apple ... Apple is viewed more as a costly piece of junk for showing off the logo on the butt of the phone. One can distinctly make out even from the way iPhone /Ipad users hold their device to ensure that the logo is visible. Pathetic and ridiculous ... at same time :)
22. roscuthiii (Posts: 2217; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Really shaking those pompoms today Ray.
25. corgilot (Posts: 8; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
I love how they say that their business grew by 400% but other sources are saying that they didn't increase their market share any.
26. shuaibhere (Posts: 1986; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Actually many of them here by unlocked iphones from US...and ship it to india....
29. jove39 (Posts: 1858; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Good for apple...
If google launches nexus lineup all over with price similar to US...then android will spread like fire
38. nevinjohn (Posts: 9; Member since: 03 May 2012)
How come this happen when the Xperia Z is up for launch in a month?! Why should people buy the iCrap?!
41. aneet11 (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Gud or bad........OS is according to ur choice and prefrences. Apple iphone is surely overpriced but it do hav value for money. If apple hav introduce more affordable rates m sure it will gain much more in every market. I like my iphone 5 ......android is also gud but ios is slightly ahead of it.
42. raunak (Posts: 507; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
Your comment makes no sense. We call a product overpriced when it's not its money's worth. So how can a product be overpriced and be value for money at the same time.
Also, it's the android that's ahead of iOS not the other way around.
43. aneet11 (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Even being over priced aa we say..... But we r getting gud product for tht money. Yes by stats android us ahead of ios and i do like some android features but after using both android and ios i can say app usage and game experience is far much better on ios ....fr eg u can see difference between fb app ....on both os its native but on apple its very polished and fast. Yes offcourse as i say os is very much personal choice and according to prefrences