Apple grows its business in India by 400% in a single quarter
Lead by the iPhone, Apple's overall business in India has grown by almost 400% during the last quarter, which is a pretty impressive figure no matter how you look at it. According to the sources, the Cupertino-based company has managed to achieve this thanks to instalment-based payment schemes used by the retailers, which apparently made Apple's devices more affordable for the Indian customers.
With a current smartphone penetration of less than 10%, it is believed that India will soon become one of the most desired emerging markets.
1. wendygarett (limited) 4 days ago posted on 08 Feb 2013, 07:40 12 8
I love India and citizens... And if they ask me to burn the iDevice, I will do so :)
2. khizarali08 posted on 08 Feb 2013, 07:43 27 3
I am an indian, and m asking you to please burn your iDevice. ;)
8. wendygarett (limited) 4 days ago posted on 08 Feb 2013, 07:53 7 6
I don't burn my own iDevice, but I will burn one of them from the apple store :)
trust me, really!!! Lol
12. AamirSIII posted on 08 Feb 2013, 08:41 0 0
lol nice one...
35. techspace posted on 08 Feb 2013, 13:08 2 0
how can we believe you?....instead of burning it, give it to one of us ;)
14. tusshharish posted on 08 Feb 2013, 08:48 9 3
i am an indian and i tell you please burn your icrap idevice.......
i will give u a idea why dont you burn istore...
6. raunak posted on 08 Feb 2013, 07:49 2 1
i think this describes you.
7. wendygarett (limited) 4 days ago posted on 08 Feb 2013, 07:52 3 3
Thank you for the information :)
27. raunak posted on 08 Feb 2013, 10:49 0 0
care to elaborate?
21. TarunV posted on 08 Feb 2013, 09:41 9 3
I'm also an Indian, and I also love my iPhone 5. And I seriously don't get it that why OSes to some people are a way of life. Just pick what you like, what suits you. Simple as that. No hate.
And I'm a developer so don't assume that I don't know the potential of Android before bashing.
I might be the only one here, but here it goes Wendy- I also support Apple and I love Apple products, as much as I love WP and Android. No hate. Just choices.
4. raunak posted on 08 Feb 2013, 07:46 8 0
India has no contract system so something like installments was needed because most people cant afford to spend more than 1000$ in one go for a smartphone. Only four or five of my friends have iphones most of them have androids.
10. xtplnet posted on 08 Feb 2013, 08:06 1 0
that's true man !! if they start giving iphone on contract in India then this will be one of the biggest market for both Apple and Android handset manufactures ..
18. rusticguy posted on 08 Feb 2013, 09:26 4 0
Contracts? They have reverse subsidies and everyone knows how much one pays more for these contracts. They work out too expensive. Card companies offer 0% EMI for 12 months. That's far better and one is not handcuffed by any operator (TRAI wouldn't really allow much leeway on handcuffing in India as people now can switch providers without change of numbers) . But Apple? If they have grown by 400% then their market share should have been 12-16% ... all this humbug :)
9. VJo003 posted on 08 Feb 2013, 07:53 0 0
It's positioned in India as a high premium product. The pricing mirrors that.
Iphone starts at 850 USD
11. GALAXY-STORM posted on 08 Feb 2013, 08:07 0 0
Given that they have good supporters here they should put india in their 1st world list along with other countries irrespective of a contract system. It's an immense market.
13. redea posted on 08 Feb 2013, 08:48 9 0
I'm from India and I have never heard of redington or ingram micro. People who buy the iPhone want to show off.
19. rusticguy posted on 08 Feb 2013, 09:27 4 1
If it jumped 400% market share should have been 12-16%. All this is sponsored humbug :)
24. predator93 posted on 08 Feb 2013, 10:07 0 0
They are distributors and now they may open apple/apple approved stores in India so more people may get to know about them.
30. GALAXY-STORM posted on 08 Feb 2013, 11:04 0 0
Actually if you read the papers daily you would have seen a whole page mentioning iphone 5 for sales, if you observe you can spot redington.
44. amansingal14 posted on 09 Feb 2013, 10:21 1 1
I am an Indian, and trust me, all of my friends consider iPhone to be a cheap piece of crap with a super expensive logo, which is according to me worthless. Here is what we believe in India -
1. iPhone is just a piece of hardware worth no more than 14000 INR (Almost 270-280 USD), with a logo on the back costing 30000 INR (Almost 600 USD), thus giving it a price tag of 44000 INR totally (Almost 900 USD).
2. Its better to buy a Nokia/Samsung/Sony Device, which is just superb for us.
3. Advanced communities in Delhi and Mumbai already have iCraps in their hands, and here is what they say - "It is just a status symbol for us. It has a crappy hardware and breaks too readily, thus we prefer Nokia and Sony, but again, they are not status symbols."
15. ibap posted on 08 Feb 2013, 08:59 3 1
If you go from 1 phone to 5 phones, that's an increase of 400%.
16. BigRed83 posted on 08 Feb 2013, 09:07 4 4
Yeah, Apple increased their market share by 400%. They sold 4 this quarter.
36. techspace posted on 08 Feb 2013, 13:17 0 0
they have earned more than 400 crores in the dec quarter......in india,the iphones are so expensive that even if they have a very small marketshare, they can easily earn crores of rupees....
37. techspace posted on 08 Feb 2013, 13:20 1 0
and maybe these figures will force google to concentrate more on india......
17. gallitoking posted on 08 Feb 2013, 09:12 2 6
what I find fascinating is that the iphone is in India... no need to thanks us... enjoy the iphone India
31. GALAXY-STORM posted on 08 Feb 2013, 11:08 2 0
Do you know how many Samsung and nokia phones sell here?? And its not from us.
32. Droiddoes posted on 08 Feb 2013, 11:21 0 1
How is that 'fascinating'? Are you THAT simple?
20. rusticguy posted on 08 Feb 2013, 09:31 8 1
Micromax smartphones have more market share than Apple ... Apple is viewed more as a costly piece of junk for showing off the logo on the butt of the phone. One can distinctly make out even from the way iPhone /Ipad users hold their device to ensure that the logo is visible. Pathetic and ridiculous ... at same time :)
25. corgilot posted on 08 Feb 2013, 10:42 0 0
I love how they say that their business grew by 400% but other sources are saying that they didn't increase their market share any.
26. shuaibhere posted on 08 Feb 2013, 10:49 0 0
Actually many of them here by unlocked iphones from US...and ship it to india....
29. jove39 posted on 08 Feb 2013, 10:56 1 1
Good for apple...
If google launches nexus lineup all over with price similar to US...then android will spread like fire
38. nevinjohn posted on 08 Feb 2013, 22:48 0 0
How come this happen when the Xperia Z is up for launch in a month?! Why should people buy the iCrap?!
41. aneet11 posted on 09 Feb 2013, 02:48 0 0
Gud or bad........OS is according to ur choice and prefrences. Apple iphone is surely overpriced but it do hav value for money. If apple hav introduce more affordable rates m sure it will gain much more in every market. I like my iphone 5 ......android is also gud but ios is slightly ahead of it.
42. raunak posted on 09 Feb 2013, 04:26 0 0
Your comment makes no sense. We call a product overpriced when it's not its money's worth. So how can a product be overpriced and be value for money at the same time.
Also, it's the android that's ahead of iOS not the other way around.
43. aneet11 posted on 09 Feb 2013, 06:28 0 0
Even being over priced aa we say..... But we r getting gud product for tht money. Yes by stats android us ahead of ios and i do like some android features but after using both android and ios i can say app usage and game experience is far much better on ios ....fr eg u can see difference between fb app ....on both os its native but on apple its very polished and fast. Yes offcourse as i say os is very much personal choice and according to prefrences