Apple going with 4.7" and 5.7" iPhone trials for next year, colorful entry level one to be $99
0. phoneArena 13 Jun 2013, 02:02 posted on
Apple is reportedly seriously examining 4.7" and 5.7" sizes, which is just shy of today's Android flagship and upcoming phablets average. Still, this doesn't mean those will see the light of day next year, but rather that Apple might be testing them to determine usability: "They constantly change product specifications almost to the final moment, so you're not really sure whether this is the final prototype," said one of the sources...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3584; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Suddenly the world of Apple seems bright...only slightly.
26. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3584; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Not exactly....you know "your future is bright" kind of thing?? :)
27. andro. (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
With a 4.7 inch screen and the massive bezel apple insists on top and bottom in its phone design means it would be a huge iPhone in size,screen the size of a HTC one but the overall height measurement of a galaxy note 2.all those teen girls buying base that are apples primary market would struggle to hold it.Also wouldnt a 5.7 inch iPhone really just be an iPad mini mini?
33. jaychildz (Posts: 113; Member since: 31 May 2013)
Yea yesterday i was thinking about that big ass button on the bottom of the screen but it honestly doesn't have to be that big
46. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Don't forget all those commercials about everything being in reach of your thumb for one hand use. Apple says their current screen size is perfect at 4", they'll have to change the marketing.
56. Kishin (Posts: 704; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Thats Why there be 4.7 plus the 4"
Two options for them
28. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
4.7' and 5.7' = even longer with the same width.
31. andro. (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
With an ir led included then these sized iphone are definitely tv remote controls!
Perhaps this mockery has some truth in at afterall!!
47. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
This is not Innovation !! They are just Following what Others are doing...Which means they don't hav it in them anymore ...Appl's innovations are dead with Jobs ..
38. maxican16 (Posts: 364; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Even as an Android follower, were this to happen, it would be _huge_ for Apple. I can already see the conference introducing these things and all the buzzwords they'll be throwing around, and insults at Android they'll be levying. Think I'll have to turn my internet off if this comes true..
3. YourNightmare (Posts: 32; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
Only 100 bux ?? This seems so fake, even a freaking 3GS is more expensive and apple making a smartphone 5,7"..haha nice try maybe the iPad mini 3.
9. vandroid (Posts: 326; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
I think that's the contract price, most phones cost more than $100 to make
14. msa1988 (Posts: 418; Member since: 30 Mar 2010)
If phone arena didn't remove it, I'd give you a thumbs down for making such an idiotic statement. You think a smartphone off contract would be less than $100???
35. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Yeah, good luck finding a flip phone for $100 off contract.
57. cripton805 (Posts: 1391; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
There's Verizon PAY AS YOU go Samsung flip phones for $10 at my local Walmart and the smartphones start at $60
52. Diazene (Posts: 129; Member since: 01 May 2013)
there are many androids for that much, and I expect the 520 to be that cheap in the future
42. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
If they make a 5.7" without contract will probably be around 799$.
13. quyenqchau0813 (unregistered)
Well as long as it's not longer
17. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
agreed, longer phones makes it look weird. and surfing web makes it all difficult to read. even on landscape mode.
19. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
agreed, longer phones makes it look weird. and surfing web makes it all difficult to read. even on landscape mode.
5. Jonathan41 (Posts: 532; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
This is a great example of my problem with Apple. They shun Android and its Manufactures then turn around and follow in their footsteps. Hypocrites.
6. PunyPoop (Posts: 752; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Such a Kid.. Learn to adapt with nature, you'll surely get a life..
24. Jonathan41 (Posts: 532; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
I don't see how your comment applies to my argument. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of Apples marketing practices. Nothing childish about that. What's childish is that your response was to insult me instead making an argument.
37. maxican16 (Posts: 364; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Agree with your statements. But this is just the way Apple is. Consider this: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. =)
39. Hallucinator (Posts: 344; Member since: 24 May 2010)
I think he was implying that your argument made no business sense. In business everyone argues that their ideas are right until proven otherwise and then they adapt to the times. To suggest that they should just stick to their guns even though it is proven that people want bigger phones is just silly.
8. FlushGordon (unregistered)
If Apple can't come up with a low-cost/mid range version of their own...they will vanish in a matter of 5 years
10. Trex95 (Posts: 875; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
I think Apple going to change there game soon.
12. affandi (Posts: 85; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Feels like Apple is desperate and is trying everyting to get in the game again. Colorful phones combined with that new colorful cartoonish iOs7 will be the end of iPhone as a "status" phone, and will be more like a budget/kids phone.
15. msa1988 (Posts: 418; Member since: 30 Mar 2010)
Why not? That's where the market is. Hhigh end phones for the "adults" and cheap color phone for the "kids" is pure genius. They'll easily be able to control the whole market - age, gender, wealth, etc. Android and Apple will always co-exist, but this move is definitely taking Apple in the right direction.
18. affandi (Posts: 85; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
You have to see the bigger picture, iPhone is selling so well today because it's a status symbol. It's expensive and "cool" and that's why so many people want one. But if the iPhone suddenly became very cheap for everyone to get and had a bunch of different colors then it would loose it's status, which is what it currently lives on. Without that status.. iPhone is nothing.
22. TechDork (Posts: 283; Member since: 10 May 2010)
I think having the iPhone in a variety of color options is brilliant. There's thousands of people who get their iPhone changed to different colors all the time, so it's not childish at all. Everybody doesn't want a white iPhone & everybody doesn't want a black iPhone, which is why there are companies like ColorWare & iFixDirect who offer color swapping jobs to iPhone users who want more individuality. So personally, I think it's pretty damn cool. They did it for the iPod, I don't see why they can't do it for the iPhone.
23. affandi (Posts: 85; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Yeah, it's always nice with options, but for a premium phone that lives on it's high status.. this could be very damaging.
Imagine if Mercedes-Benz began to sell low budget cars with pink, green and orange colors, I dont even wanna think about the damage that would do to the brand.
55. TechDork (Posts: 283; Member since: 10 May 2010)
It would still be a high status phone, just in different colors. The iPod is a high status device & it's always been in color.....so I don't see what the damage would do to the iPhone. I'm not saying make a green, orange & pink phone, but a nice deep navy blue & deep red would be sick.
21. amats69 (Posts: 1358; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
it is not bad after all.. business is business. desperate move or not apple shld give what the public want...or else they are out of the game :)
20. amats69 (Posts: 1358; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
this is what im waiting for in a long time! Please Apple make it possible! if the price is good and with the improved (a little bit) iOS7 iPhone will be my next phone after my HTC One :) but it still depends also to what will Android OEMs will offer next year....ahhhh so hard to decide really! LOL
25. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 260; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
I don't think this is true..maybe the screen size is going to be from 4.3 to 4.5 inches :)
29. twens (Posts: 947; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
a 5.7 inch iphone is something i would love to own. with the new ios7 that will be great.imagine note 3 plus iphone witha 5.7inch screen best of both worlds
32. alihass333 (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
People who keep talking about Apple are gonna end their game soon need to shut up about it seriously I mean are we all forgetting here that Apple has made so much purchases throughout the years and still do so they cannot just leave, i'm not a Apple fan here but i'm just sick of reading people saying so much against Apple
36. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Hear, hear. Yes, it's borderline amusing that Apple keeps having to eat its words with regard to screen size and price points, and that they seem to be two years behind the curve. If a 4.7" model were already available, it would be on my shortlist, but they're not there yet.
But Apple is not "toast" or "dead" or "going south" any time soon. It's the freakin' iPhone, people. It's here to stay.
40. Android4u (Posts: 456; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
Right when apple releases a 4.7 phone hella android folks gonna jump ship lol....not me though
41. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Color looks tacky on iPhone. By next year phones will be at 6" screens. They are playing catch up with everyone else.
43. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 408; Member since: 24 May 2011)
i will seriously consider buying the 4.7"one.
44. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
t's funny, when imorons speak about the size of the device referring to the screen size only. LOL
You guys must know f.e., that Lumia 920 with 4.5" display is a huge brick [size and weight] in compare to S4 with 5" display.
50. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
i remeber when steve jobs said 3.5 is a perfect size for Iphones
51. trustory (Posts: 132; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Although i don't like ios 7 if the cheap iphone is 99$ and sold in the u.s. that would be great
53. alouden (unregistered)
I still wouldn't buy one. But if true, will give the consumer more choices. I am sure a lot of people would jump to such a phone. In fact, a friend just returned her iphone because it was too small and no other reason. I am sure others feel the same way. However, I would be STUNNED if they made a 5.7 inch phone.
54. roscuthiii (Posts: 2118; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
It's nice to see Apple coming around and providing more options to consumers. Then again, I guess Apple really has no option themselves other than to adapt or die.
Also, it'll be interesting to see how they address the dreaded "f" word that's becoming more obvious, after being so critical of it.
59. _PHug_ (Posts: 443; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
But I thought 3.5" was "perfect"...
Oh I see, they needed Samsung to lead the way so they could follow.
I'm sure they'll give it some cute name, throw a bunch of advertising buzzwords in and claim they innovated it.