Apple gets sued for $2 billion by German patent troll
0. phoneArena 05 Feb 2014, 11:18 posted on
Apple has been sued for $2 billion in Germany, by a company that claims the Cupertino tech giant infringed on its licenses for cellular technology. A company called IPCom GmbH has accused Apple of improperly using a patent that gives priority to emergency calls on a mobile network. The patent was purchased in 2007 from German automobile parts manufacturer Robert Bosch GmbH...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ArtSim98 (Posts: 1117; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
C'mon Germans, SQUEEZE THE JUICE OUT OF APPLE
45. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 807; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Companies like this are bad for the industry. It doesn't matter who the target is, we should all be outraged.
21. akki20892 (Posts: 2662; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Vi gaat et. Vi aar gona du thet. Vet en waatch.
25. ArtSim98 (Posts: 1117; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Great Arnold impression lol. I am the party pooper!
26. akki20892 (Posts: 2662; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
You forgot one more guy. Mr.Stallone....Rambo....
31. PAPINYC (Posts: 2044; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
The iFührer will chop that fruity-fruit and burn the seeds therein!!
34. Ashoaib (Posts: 616; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Thats the way baby, Apple is going to eat its own fruit
39. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5637; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
2 billion dollars sounds a pretty sweet price compare to what the greedy fruit ask against samsung.
4. Antimio (Posts: 61; Member since: 11 Nov 2013)
5. PBXtech (Posts: 623; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Karma can really suck when you act the bully all the time. I can hear a faint laughter from Samsung over this one.
17. Aploine (Posts: 103; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
One day will cam that Samsung will sue IPCom for something an take its blood back! Nemesis!
7. corporateJP (Posts: 1287; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
As much as I hate trolls of any kind, this screams of irony and karma.
8. kryme (Posts: 98; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
oh i so want apple to lose this one....please... prolly now they can stop being an as*
9. rodneyej1 (Posts: 2873; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
"German Patent Troll"... Now I see where a lot of PA users get their immaturity from..
40. rodneyej1 (Posts: 2873; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
If you got to ask then you must be one of them....
18. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
It's meant to discredit the company that has filed suit. Similar to what the media does to political candidates. This webssite is so biased towards Apple it almost makes me want to gag. So why would you be surprised that when Apple is caught allegedly doing something illegal and wrong, the authors here try to discredit Apple's accuser by calling them "patent trolls"?
20. Finalflash (Posts: 1131; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Good stuff guy, I didn't even catch that. It is Alan F. though, he is one of the biggest Apple fanboys this site has though. So I don't think whole site is biased, just one very active article guy.
22. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
True, and plus one to you Final. We see more Apple biased articles than not, and that's the reason why I say PA is so biased towards Apple. I shouldn't generalize them all though. You're right.
32. Topcat488 (Posts: 1038; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Dear Rodneyej1... You should research before you "SPEAK".
IPCom is known as the "Godfather of Patent Trolls".
41. rodneyej1 (Posts: 2873; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
I don't care about that.. My point was "in house"
44. willard12 (Posts: 548; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Dear Topcat, when someone questions the balance of a website, is it wise to use a website called "iDevicedailys.com" as the source? IPCom is known as the "Godfather of Patent Trolls"....according to a website whose homepage banner links include Apple, iphone, and OS X.
46. Topcat488 (Posts: 1038; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
IPCom GmbH & Co. KG (not to be confused with IP.com) is a German company that acquired in 2007 a portfolio of mobile-technology patents from Robert Bosch GmbH and then sought royalties from them. According to a judgment by the England and Wales Court of Appeal, written by Lord Justice Jacob, "IPCom is a 'non practising entity', i.e. a patentee with no business of its own in products covered by the patents," whereas IPCom was reportedly asking for €12 billion from Nokia. IPCom is based in Pullach, Germany, and is backed by Fortress Investment Group.
Have a GOOD day Sir.
47. willard12 (Posts: 548; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Ohhh, so it's like Rock Star Consortium, the Apple -backed non-practicing entity. What's iDevices.com's view on that company? See Mr. Cat, Apple can't hate the patent trolling business when it actively engages in it.
48. Topcat488 (Posts: 1038; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Dude, I'm not defending Apple. I left ios as my favorite OS and went to Android using Samsung... I've bought a few iphones and will be getting ip6 the 5.7" because i have too many itune apps to totally ignore Apple. I commented against Rodneyej1 for calling people immature. And for dissing Alan F. and PA. "I'm GLAD Apple is getting sued, a taste of their own medicine. :)
10. MrKoles (Posts: 278; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
*Patent troll Apple gets sued for 2 billion by a German company.
That's how it should be...
49. SijanRozina (Posts: 2; Member since: 19 Feb 2014)
It is no matter for apple.All these affects, to just the small industries,because financially they are not that much strong,whatever they have is there ideas only which they are finding hard to patent.The only thing that makes them strong is the business methods.
13. Miracles (Posts: 334; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Apples r rubbish. I hate apples. (reference used) LOL
14. kabukijoe (Posts: 65; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
Apple will counter sue and argue that they invented and patented patent trolling.
15. superguy (Posts: 268; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Couldn't happen to a better patent troll.
23. lyndon420 (Posts: 1641; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
I could get used to articles like this....must have more. These always make my day more interesting and fulfilling. All we need now is for all of apples 'partners' to just stop doing business with them. That would please me to no end.
24. Chakra (Posts: 116; Member since: 02 Dec 2009)
I think it's funny that they are trying to get the patent invalidated as their strategy. It's like trying to change a law that someone is guilty of, so the act is no longer a crime. To me it screams that they know they are guilty, or maybe even wontingly, of patent infringement.
27. jacko1977 (Posts: 377; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
ok apple uses someone iphonearena said sue
these people sue apple there patent trolls
28. bibekpachhai (unregistered)
Apple sued one Samsung and everyone considers it a patent troll. Isn't that as bad as people saying apple comes up with every innovation?
29. Awalker (Posts: 59; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Apple has sued several Android manufacturers.
30. PBXtech (Posts: 623; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Personally, it's not that Apple sued Samsung, it's what Apple sued Samsung over. Rounded corners, the color black, how a screen is arranged in a phone, etc... all that was design concepts that shouldn't have been used to ban other products from.
And that Apple wanted $40 for Samsung to use their patents but only wanted to pay Samsung pennies for vital hardware/software patent usage was nothing more than Apple being a bully.
38. bibekpachhai (unregistered)
I agree that $40 is a ridiculous price for a simple patent, Samsung should pay for infringing on Apple's patent and vise-verse! It is silly of Apple to go after anything over S maybe SII because devices after that don't look like apple products at all.
33. t3st001 (Posts: 7; Member since: 28 May 2012)
Alan F. -> Apple gets sued for $2 billion by German patent troll
The rest of the world -> Patent troll gets sued for $2 billion by German IPCom GmbH
36. Ashoaib (Posts: 616; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
So true... best words to describe this report
43. networkdood (Posts: 5513; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
A patent troll suing another patent troll - excellent