Apple garnered 1,136 new patents in 2012, up 68% from 2011
0. phoneArena 11 Jan 2013, 09:49 posted on
Apple received 68% more patents in 2012, with 1,136 additions to the Cupertino based firm's intellectual property portfolio; IBM led the list with over 6,000 patents earned last year while Samsung came in second with a tad over 5,000 patents awarded and as we told you on Thursday, Google narrowly topped Apple with 1,152 new patents...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Nooooo, we don't need patent reform at all... /s
11. Aeires (unregistered)
Sad that most probably won't even be created, just patented.
17. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
Wouldn't surprise me. They're halfway there, I usually think about apple or steve jobs when I'm firing out a particularly difficult growler.
3. Savage (unregistered)
Dafaq has Foxconn patents for? Unhealthy work environment?
4. menny07 (Posts: 89; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
maybe new manufacturing techniques?? dont know :/
5. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Difference between Apple and everyone else is you don't see lawsuits and the overall prevention of competition as their sole purpose to said patents. Google, MS, Sony, they all patent everything too you just don't see them being big babies about such nonsense. Slide to unlock, virtual page turns, app store, icons on screen, clicking link in email and rounded edges on rectangular device come to mind >( No other companies are such iTools that is for sure!
21. stealthd (Posts: 1061; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
You clearly do not know these companies very well (MS especially).
22. sprockkets (Posts: 1565; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
IBM has been a big tool, just not this decade.
6. windroid (unregistered)
Well this site is somehow biased... if for instance Samsung was number two in patent number with 5,081 patents (aprox. 4.5 more patents than Apple) why don't they refer Samsung instead?
The only possible reason is all the noise Apple patents are creating.
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9726; Member since: 14 May 2012)
If Apple is on the headline of an article, it's going to get more page views than if Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, or RIM was in it.
10. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Probably because Samsung is only countersueing Apple, vs using their patents as a means of keeping down competition. I think even die hard Apple fans can admit they engage in far too much litigation over things that really don't matter, like the aforementioned rectangle with rounded corners and slide to unlock.....
7. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7009; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
And Apple USES it's patents TO SUE AND BAN any competition that threatens them. WHO CARES
13. thunderbolt (Posts: 76; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
patentarena.com domain is already gone.
16. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Really sad: ""While it is great to see such innovations from today's top companies, not all of these patents will end up being used in a product. Some of those that do end up used in a device might just end up being displayed in court.""
20. Twisted247 (Posts: 282; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
1151 new patents and not a single new product in 2012.. They have nothing up left their sleeve but sleaze ball legal crap