Apple files with the USPTO for two new patents
0. phoneArena 29 Aug 2013, 17:54 posted on
Apple has filed a couple of patent applications with the USPTO; one would allow iPhone users to adjust different elements of a display using a single input. The application, entitled "User Interface Contrast Filter," reveals a technology that examines saturated pixels vs.non-saturated pixels. Since the non-saturated pixels are considered areas of the screen without active content, that area would show the most change...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8840; Member since: 14 May 2012)
As much as I like Apple for their products, wtf is this? I've read the whole article and all I'm thinking is they're seriously trying to patent every single thing now. Don't even get me started on the drawing for picture 3...
7. Whateverman (Posts: 3231; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I'm really glad you said it first PapaSmurf. Because any comment from someone using any other OS would instantly be labeled a troll.
Anyway, I don't see a use for these two features right now. Maybe when implemented and we can see it in use, it will all make sense. But right now, I gotta wonder why even bother with either of these.
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8840; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Yeah I know, but honestly it's definitely gotten out of control. I like what Apple dishes out. Hell, I'm buying a MacBook Pro in Decemeber for Medical school, but it kills me giving my money to a company whos starting to slowly lose my interest...
36. rdemon (Posts: 46; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Well you are not forced to buy a mac pro. I'm pretty sure there are other alternatives.
18. joaolx (Posts: 362; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
And yet, Samsung has way more patents than Apple.
21. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8840; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Compare the number of patents Apple has to Samsung from 2007-now, and then you'll realize what I'm talking about.
34. joey_sfb (Posts: 3132; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
That few drawings remind me of the feature in S4 of capturing both front and back camera with option of display and print on the same photo.
The other is a feature to display information on top part of the LG G and S4 smart cover.
I was a Apple fan and was thrilled when they announce the notification center in WWDC. I show it to my friend that when i realize that they are not the first and had copied from Android. Then came the lawsuit of Apple vs Samsung... above that i always dislike their business practice of crippling software feature in the older mac and iOS devices.
Finally,. i have decided to stop being an Apple fan. That when i want out and Android provide that path. I now choose to follow the FOSS path whenever possible which will leave my options open to newer and better tech.
35. aditya.k (Posts: 474; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Look, that girl doesn't even have a face. How is she gonna do facetime? XD
37. MartyK (Posts: 725; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
Much Respect...PapaSmurf, all these companies are getting patent silly.
41. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
You guys should learn to govern your feelings. This is business, if I had money like Apple I would take advantage of USPTO and patent every single thing that is patentable :).
40. takeja (Posts: 35; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
So don't buy any product from such a rotten company responsible for e-books price fixing affair...
If you support such a rotten company by buying it's products they will be doing rotten things all the time
2. Ninetysix (Posts: 1669; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Comment section is going to be good...
3. power_x (Posts: 238; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Hmm , these ideas are good , especially the brightness thing , I hope that Apple puts these features in their future products , not only patent them and leave them
16. power_x (Posts: 238; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
I am at my home already , AND I AM NOT DRUNK YOU FOOL
23. power_x (Posts: 238; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Anyway if you don't like my comments don't reply then .
31. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3023; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
You really are drunk, aren't you?
When you're sober, try figuring out which thread he replied to. Okay?
Now before you think i'm against you...get sober first.
38. TechnoTechyes (Posts: 56; Member since: 24 Jan 2011)
Think he was doing a spell check on mrfamous1.
your drunk should have read you're drunk.
To be honest, I like your idea that they use their patents, But I think this is another attempt to patent what other companies are almost already doing. Samsung has, and LG will soon have phone screens with little windows to only display about 20% of screen when it is closed.
Without widgets, Apple cannot really implement such a screen, So, this feels like another attempt to make other phones harder to use, not to improve their own devices. I cannot imagine any other good reason to request this patent.
25. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Yea go home you! Stop Trolling™ you Troll®
4. jaxson983 (Posts: 43; Member since: 11 Aug 2013)
no one is ever going to dim part of their screen...its useless.
26. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Along with their bribery that Apple pays to patent this, that they pay 3x than others...
6. networkdood (Posts: 6310; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
"Wake me up when Apple is innovative again" ~~ Rip VanWinkle
27. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Yea in 2017.... Or hope they won't be around then! Rip™ down south pole!
8. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1261; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
I like the video patent. That is actual innovation. The other is new, but looks largely useless.
10. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6684; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Yet again another trip too the USPTO
43. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1644; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
13. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
I wonder is this just an idea that apple have patented or do they have actual working concepts of the said patents and have shown the uspto that they can do what they are trying to paint..asking cause if apple or any other company can patent ideas than that's the dumbest thing ever otherwise someone can just patent anything they want for example I patent a flying car but don't actually have a flying car but then some time In the future someone actually patents flying car then whats to stop me from suing even though I never had anything close to a flying car..so would love to are these patents granted because apple actually know how to those things and have a ,method of doing it or is this just an idea which they might or might not ever make.
14. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3023; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Apple and the chronicles of USPTO patents.
17. JGuinan007 (Posts: 635; Member since: 19 May 2011)
I'm a bit confused as to how Apple can patent the camera change button I use hang outs on my Android and there is already a button to switch between front and rear camera on there are they going to patent it and then sue android for a feature they already have?
19. joaolx (Posts: 362; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
It's not a patent for the button. It just changes automatically when checking the sound source. Sound comes through front microphone and it changes to front facing camera. Nothing special.
28. aditya.k (Posts: 474; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
That's stupid. Let's say my friend is video chatting and then I scream at the back side of the phone and the camera changes! Oh, iPhone users are gonna be trolled! :D
44. iushnt (Posts: 728; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
its not necessary for you to enable this feature. I find it good for journalists..GOOD JOB APPLE..but many apps can come with this feature. I just don't like the patent thing of apple. They keep each and every small progress for themshelves only. Greedy apple
29. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Did a 5th grader draw the 3rd one and apple stole it from them?
30. AfterShock (Posts: 2900; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Hmm, wonder if this will grief Moto with their partial wake an show info, it is partly shaded/dim?
I don't doubt if they can, they will, harass with these patents where they can if granted.
Predator like MS was at one time, maybe worse.
39. harigrg33 (Posts: 159; Member since: 20 May 2013)
No wonder why apple is called copy cat..