Apple files patent application for removable back covers with different camera lens options
0. phoneArena 14 Jun 2012, 08:16 posted on
Apple has filed a patent application for removable back covers for the Apple iPhone which come with different camera lens and features such as filters, zoom and stroboscopic flash; a small battery can be added to a back cover allowing it to offer a more reliable mechanical shutter...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
37. MEeee (Posts: 280; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Apple stole the idea from Hinter C4 Case.
2. andro. (Posts: 1971; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Just once these patents don't get to vague and having a removable back cover becomes an offense you could be sued for!
3. frydaexiii (Posts: 1239; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Apple again, why don't they create a prototype before filling a friggin patent? It's so annoying to know that such great ideas are wasted on Apple and no one else is going to make them.
22. frydaexiii (Posts: 1239; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
No, Google filled a patent for the notification pull-down after it was on Android.
Google also filled a patent for Google Glasses after the prototype was revealed to the world
Samsung, in another recent article, patent a new S Pen, which already exist (acting as a prototype).
Apple, on the other hand so far from what I can remember, patented an advanced way of Face Unlock, an optical stylus, non-rectangular battery, some weird magnet lock thing and now this. All of which are great ideas, but will never see light of day, because if Apple can't make them (and we all know they can't), no one can.
The only thing which Apple patented that exist is Slide to Unlock, which even then is a stupid @$$ patent. It's like Honda or Ford patenting the steering wheel, or the idea of car keys.
31. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
apple rarely shows prototypes of anything... no drawings or anything.. we dont know until it is announced... why would they show us their future technology when their company is based on hype and secrecy?
and the whole patent system needs a revision.. why fault apple for using it
34. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Umm Google files patents for things that aren't out all the time.
Every company does that. As usual you get mad at Apple for doing the same as ALL other companies.
4. tedkord (Posts: 5105; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Since they can rationalize that a tap is a zero length swipe, I can definitely see Apple suing over a removeable back cover if it has a lens in it.
18. kanagadeepan (Posts: 710; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
NO... They are soooo brilliant, that they will sue everyone even if the back-cover comes without a lens saying that cover as "back-cover with zero lens"...
To avoid such iTrolls, these types of patents should never be granted
5. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6675; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Another useless patent. Apple going have to stop putting useless patent then later on they will sue someone for it.
6. tkvdog (Posts: 46; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
and great news for soldiers yea like the hitler youth.
7. MartyK (Posts: 725; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
This should not be granted (removable back) since phones comes with a removable back before/since window mobile (in order to reset the phone from freezing up), and since we/you can switch camera lens now, Patent should be deny!
10. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
the motorola razr doesnt have a removable back cover.
29. MartyK (Posts: 725; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
What about the other thousand of phones made before/during and after 2007?, removable yes?
8. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
So Apple think their phone is a DSLR with replaceable lenses??? what nonsense.. and those cover's with lens are going to be very expensive as it has always been with Apple's accessories!!
and this is a stupid patent too.. come on now Apple gonna sue just because any other mobile phone manufacturer has removable back panel??
20. theoak (Posts: 320; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
I think it is kind of a cool idea though. Have three lenses ... one that does a wide angle for those close group shots ... one with a little telephoto to bring those far away shots up a little closer (versus using the digital zoom) ... and maybe a macro one for super close stuff.
It is a DSLR ... no.
26. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
replaceable lenses is a definitely a good idea but PATENTING such things isn't a good idea!!
9. jacko1977 (Posts: 397; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
they only do a patent that they wont even use so they can sue others and get them banned thats all it is
11. zhypher_23 (Posts: 195; Member since: 04 Jun 2012)
I think filing a patent is considered innovation for Apple....
12. teerex42 (Posts: 166; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
I'm no Apple fan because my Android is the BOMB!!!!!! I must say this is a fabulous idea. I've always thought about coming up with an idea of putting different back covers for your phone that you can change the zoom or color options, with all of the 8 meg and soon to be higher pixle cameras coming out. I'm no Apple fan again but I'd say that is innovation. Good luck to ya Apple cause you're going to need something like that to compete with the Galaxy S3..GO ANDROID!!!!!!
14. Mitchel (Posts: 228; Member since: 25 May 2012)
I don't get it.. iPhone is well known for its unibody build design..
13. rickfred (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
i we like to know if this iterm is still for sale
15. Penny (Posts: 1242; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Aren't there already third party lens attachments you can buy and install on the iPhone? If so, should this patent be granted?
21. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6675; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Their very expensive. Also over rated accessories just like the iphone.
16. angelesmec (unregistered)
I wonder how Apple people's thought process works.
19. BREvenson (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 May 2012)
I agree on it being a waste. The iPhone 4S just now caught up to other phones with the camera, as they were using a 5MP before (and 3MP on the 3GS), while several phones like the Thunderbolt, Droid 3, EVO 4G and the Droid Incredible had been doing 8MP well before the 4S hit shelves.
Now they are trying to get ahead of them by employing different camera lenses that you can swap out? An interesting idea, yes, but for those who want to pre-filter their pictures before taking them, I can only imagine it will be expensive. Camera lenses aren't cheap...and this is Apple we're talking about, so...ah, forget it. It won't stop them from throwing out (or throwing away) even more money to say they have the newest stuff from Apple.
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8819; Member since: 14 May 2012)
"Guys lets take a group picture! Let me switch the back cover first though. I was told it only takes five minutes."
25. wsucoug13 (Posts: 164; Member since: 04 May 2012)
I like the idea, don't like how they are filing for a patent for it already. Typical Apple move.
27. mas11 (Posts: 1032; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I bet there still won't be a removable battery
28. skymitch89 (Posts: 1097; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
It'll be interesting to see if this comes to the next iPhone or a future iPhone/iDevice. I'm sure that if this does come out, there will be all kinds of 3rd party developers and manufacturers making ways for this to be used in other ways than Apple intends. I could see someone making something that would allow microSD cards to be used on the iPhone, some kind of solar panel that would charge/power the iPhone, and something like article said “a camera lens having an optical zoom feature controlled by gestures made on the touch screen.” I could see using 2 or 3 fingers in a rotating motion to zoom in and out with an optical zoom. I guess that we’ll just have to wait and see what, if anything, comes of it.
30. freshprince130 (Posts: 5; Member since: 07 Nov 2009)
they will fail...like they did with the legal battles. Only a matter of time. Thats why they are selling to cricket and other prepaids. Now everyone on welfare will have iphones....great status symbol apple :0)
32. DigitalBoy05 (Posts: 203; Member since: 04 Jun 2011)
Downside is youd have to use your iphone without a case on it. And what about ease of transition from one backing to another? The concept is there but Im not sure about the practicality.
36. MEeee (Posts: 280; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Another Apple stolen idea from Hinter C4 Case.