Apple fanatic NYPD cop gets back stolen Apple iPhone in record time
0. phoneArena 28 Jan 2012, 00:24 posted on
A cashier at a clothing store in the Big Apple had her Apple iPhone jacked, but lucky for her, she called and got a cop who is an Apple fan and knew exactly which apps to use to track down the thief; in 30 minutes the crook was in cuffs and the iPhone was returned...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Nikonmorous (Posts: 16; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
Busting criminals; there's an app for that!
2. aztaxia12295 (Posts: 269; Member since: 22 Nov 2009)
the cashier who got her iphone stolen was actually my sisters friend
4. bigboy029 (Posts: 74; Member since: 03 Jan 2011)
Seriously!! If I were to ever steal an iphone, I would definitely wipe it as soon as possible!
10. CapedCrusaderRobin (Posts: 31; Member since: 19 Dec 2010)
its still can be wiped ~ by doing a "restore ipod" option on the pc ~ even if its password protected.
15. AngusNG12345 (Posts: 37; Member since: 19 Jul 2011)
well, i'm pretty sure he didn't carry his laptop around while robbing an iphone...
12. roscuthiii (Posts: 1931; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Bad cop if his enthusiasm was brand loyalty and not out of a sense of duty or justice.
Had it been an Apple competitor's product might he have just said, "Oh, sorry 'bout that. We'll do what we can. You should have bought an Apple you know."
Had it been a private residence maybe the officer would have threatened the man about his citizenship so he could search without a warrant.
14. knowledge (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Jan 2012)
You're just assuming. There's nothing bad about this story. A bad guy stole a phone and got busted.
18. 303030 (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Jan 2012)
You are an IDIOT!!! Your probably just as stupid as that savage who stole the phone.
6. dsDoan (Posts: 226; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
Wouldn't it be a better idea not to alert thieves that they can disable this feature?
7. T00muchF00D (Posts: 98; Member since: 27 Nov 2011)
So do all apple cult ppl not care that it's so easy to get tracked? I don't get why they love giving their rights away.
8. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
All cellphones can give up your whereabouts, as long as it has a built in GPS module in it. Check it, the E911 cannot be disabled on any GPS cellphone and can be used by Law enforcement for emergencies. Every cellphone with built in GPS technology has this, not just iPhone.
Non removable battery prevent the thief from turning the phone off and password lock doubles as insurance so they can't wipe it. Giving you a chance to get your stuff back. So non removable batteries do have their upsides :).
11. CapedCrusaderRobin (Posts: 31; Member since: 19 Dec 2010)
You can still turn off an iphone if its password locked. the non removable battery prevents someone from just popping the battery out yes. And password lock ipods/touch's/iphones can be wiped out if password locked. thats how the data is protected, the iphone wipes out the data.
9. tedkord (Posts: 7220; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
This would be a better story if the cops shot the scumbag dead.
13. bossmt_2 (Posts: 443; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
The fact that people steal iPhones and iPads in a holdup is sad. You have a chance to get cash money, and you choose to take an iPod.
16. Rane718 (Posts: 6; Member since: 05 Oct 2010)
I wonder what would have happened if it were a droid? hmmm?
17. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
This has got to be paid Apple P.R. With all the recent rash of thefts (or, iThefts) on NYC subways (and, we're talking a couple thousand in 2011 alone), N.Y.P.D. just managed to recover ONE phone out of thousands. Speaks volumes (or lack thereof) for N.Y.P.D. More importantly, with all the other crime stats in all NYC buroughs, i.e., murders, grand larcenies, targets on senior citizens, sexual assaults, etc., it's nice to know one stupid phone takes precedence over everything else.
19. 303030 (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Jan 2012)
Your an iIdiot !!!:
"More importantly, with all the other crime stats in all NYC buroughs, i.e., murders, grand larcenies, targets on senior citizens, sexual assaults, etc., it's nice to know one stupid phone takes precedence over everything else". F.Y.I this was a GUN POINT ROBBERY!!!! You go find someone that just robbed someone at gun point! Like i said your an iIdiot.
20. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
If you don't have an iphone you don't have find my iphone so you can find your iphone when lost or even stolen. I could see it lol.
21. iKingTrust (banned) (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
We did this before. No cops though we went to the guys house 4 deep banged on the door. They guy gave my friend his phone back without a fight. I love find my Phone