Apple executive negotiating $4.5 billion Apple iPad deal with Turkey
0. phoneArena 01 Feb 2013, 22:05 posted on
Apple's VP of Education John Couch is in Turkey meeting with the Turkish President Abdullah Gül about a possible $4.5 billion deal for the Apple iPad, which would result in 17 million units of Apple's slate being used by Turkish students; also part of the talk is the layout of the Turkish F-keyboard which is much different than the typical QWERTY used on the iPad...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
Sweet, Turkish students are such fortunate :)
17. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
PIC CAPTION FAIL: says "iPod" instead of iPad LOL
10. loyals (Posts: 129; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
300$ per unit is such a cheap price for ipad !
16. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Exactly....they dont have money at all but they have money for iPads = obvious corruption.....Apple starts the same bribing way like Microsoft...
3. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Bribe the politicians they will do anything. Wasn't there an attempt to declare PIZZA a "Vegetable" somewhere :D
11. joey_sfb (Posts: 1880; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
There are both good and bad point on getting iPad for education. Good is it a proven educational tools. The bad point is 4.5 billons is a lot of money not a single cent is use to help the local businesses.
Their government should use the money to build their own platform and eco system much like what Amazon had done.
15. idroidequis (Posts: 101; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
But its to fun education and that is the foundation of any nations growth.
18. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
In Egypt people were on streets when M$ tried something similar. India the gov planned affordable tablets for education based on android.
4. blackice214 (Posts: 163; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
They use the money for education, we use the money to start wars.
8. zuckerboy (Posts: 641; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
also we get our books free and we have free education :D
5. jaabubut (Posts: 13; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
No more heavy text books..... congrate to turkish students ... ;-)
6. MartianMe (unregistered)
well said blackice. why can they compete like in the old days anymore instead of bribing the governments? this may seem like a good thing but coming from a corporate like apple,,, i don't think so... they are as corrupted as the u s government. and if they are so american like the people who buy their products think they are... then how come apple doesn't do that here?let people choose the natural way...but then again these are desperate moves that they're doing since they're not contributing to this industry anymore...might as well get into politics.
9. idroidequis (Posts: 101; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
you know nothing about the economy yet you think you do and accuse others. there is no right or wrong no black or white there is only grey. the point is not that they support apple that they invest in their future that is their kids so they can further their nation. i bet if the had bought 15million android tablets you would rally behind them like a cult. learn to expand your train of thought young grasshopper
19. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Govt of India is spending on Android Tabs that comes at < $60. I think That's far less than even the Profits that apple would want on each tablet.
13. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
This is the future :)
Too bad it's Apple, lol.
But in all fairness, it still has better tablet apps, especially for this purpose.
And that's probably why they were picked
14. idroidequis (Posts: 101; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Ive used one for a text book and ive got to say ipads work really well for books. And they are easy to set up and use for beginners. Im assuming thats why they went with apple. The android platform can be a bit confusing to a newcomer and the point is to make learning easier not harder
20. ultimatebatman (Posts: 52; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Ugh, iPad is such a useless piece of crap for sutidents. A notebook/textbook replacement with no pen is useless. And way to go forcing the walled prison iOS on 15 million students.