Apple dealt another blow in Russia: third major carrier quits selling iPhone, signs with Samsung
0. phoneArena 12 Jul 2013, 04:33 posted on
Make no mistake - Apple iPhones are popular in Russia and just as in any developing nation they are considered more than just a phone, but also a status symbol…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Ouch! Apple ain't got much juice left.
9. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
And in Malaysia every carrier will happily carry the iPhone because these Apple fanboys dont even care how much they need to pay for for an iPhone; i have seen used iPhones selling at sky high prices and these people have no problems considering to buy them.
17. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Many carriers still think that the iPhone is an excellent product that people want to buy, but only Apple fanboys will buy them no matter how high is the price.
36. Peter98 (Posts: 119; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
You're right! I'm an Apple fanboy to be honest :) but Malaysia is selling iPhone for a sky price and it doesn't worth it!
21. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
In Q1 as per IDC, Apple market share is down from 9% in 2012 to 8.3% in 2013.
At the same time WP market share is up from 5.1% last year to 8.2% this year.
I think with the launch of Lumia 520, 720 in Q2 WP sales will pass Apple's.
4. FlushGordon (unregistered)
In Soviet Russia,,,Apple begs for you, not the other way around
5. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
APPLE SUES OEMS
CARRIERS SCREWS APPLE
6. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
GIVE ME 1 LEGIT REASON TO BUY IPHONE VS. NEXUS 4 FOR DOUBLE THE PRICE
24. kushki (Posts: 49; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Smaller screen size because your eyes can zoom, and fingers and palm are small... closed ecosystem because you like to be told what to do.... amazing maps because you like adventures and want to explore remote unhabitable areas... do not disturb feature is activated just by holding the phone wrong... and becuase you wanna frequently buy a new (but same) iphone, just drop a cotton ball on it....
42. Whateverman (Posts: 3248; Member since: 17 May 2009)
That is a perfectly good reason. Lol!
44. MrMagoo (Posts: 12; Member since: 28 Jun 2013)
I like android a lot but nexus 4 is not a good deal for me, if you want 64gb instead 16gb memory, or you need a better camera, or a great and clean audio output with a decent volume level or maybe you work with a lot of apps you can have them all installed without slow the entire system, better gaming, smother interface, no heating problems like nexus 4(unless you have a defective iPhone haha)... I can go on and even I can tell you what a like more of android, I don't have hate for any platform, but even if iPhone is a great phone I think apple conduct is greedy and lame, if they don't change their mind, they will be dead soon
50. sectime (unregistered)
Same reason as buying a Mercedes vs Toyota, you want it. It's called choice and price is not the only decision point.
57. tedkord (Posts: 9070; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
That analogy only works is the Toyota is faster, had more power and is more flexible/functional.
63. Doakie (Posts: 1791; Member since: 06 May 2009)
I LOVE android. But how can anyone make it by with a max of 16 GB internal storage? In my Galaxy Note 2 I have the 16 GB but at least I have a micro SD card slot. I've considered long and hard to sell my Note 2 and buy a Nexus 4 but I can't get past 16 GB of internal storage...
65. Jillxz (Posts: 149; Member since: 04 Jun 2012)
I don't see the big deal with having an sd slot. You are limited as to what you can put on an sd card. I prefer to get a phone with 32-64 GB of onboard storage. And phones that don't offer me that choice , I don't buy them.
7. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 8980; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
this is a pretty d**k move by that carrier. Watch as subscriber rate decline rapidly.
10. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
i think apple must be worried from this.not the carrier.
hope this trend continues worldwide
13. iushnt (Posts: 1330; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
i don't say that but I think its a good move..Apple keeps harsh condition and the carrier cannot benefit much from it. apple shows that attitude as if they owe carriers and everyone should follow their conditions. that was a blow to apple hope they learn something from it
22. boosook (Posts: 1395; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
since the article says that the iphone market share is only 8.4%, it wouldn't be a great problem for that carrier even if the other carriers continued to sell the iphone... now consider that Vimpelcom was the last to offer the iphone...
29. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Looks like youre still blind and brainwash by the greedy fruit.
31. tedkord (Posts: 9070; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Dance, you 5th dimensional mischievous little I imp, DANCE!
33. darkkjedii (Posts: 18447; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You're rite Mxy. The phones popular with consumers, but the carrier stopped due to apples conditions. Those who want iPhones will simply go else where. +1 for not being fanboy blind.
37. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
So it was the "d**k move" by the carrier and not a "d**k move" by Apple to have harsh requirements on carriers? That's blind fanboy logic there.
39. darkkjedii (Posts: 18447; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
No I did not say that. I think that it is a bad move to get rid of a popular device that consumers want and it will make their subscription-based go down and yes apple does often have harsh demands, yet most usually profit.
41. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 879; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
I agree darkjedi but out of the big three they are the last to drop Apple. It's not like the customers can say I'm going to switch my contract to get a subsidy, you can only get it retail. Now the carriers get the double benefit of not having to pay for subsidy or have adhere to Apples very strict conditions. Those that still want an iPhone will have to buy it retail and the carriers reap all the benefits. It's a really messed up win win for the carriers. The only benefit to the customer is that the used iPhone market is going to sky rocket so when it comes time to resell and they're going to get a nice chunk of money back if they want to upgrade.
43. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
And that's why most carriers put up with it. Doesn't make Apple's tactics any better, all it does is justify their draconian stance towards the carriers. While it's great the iPhone never has carrier bloatware because they refuse to bend in that manner, they could at least help with the pricing so carriers aren't forced into decisions like the one made in this article.
51. tedkord (Posts: 9070; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The article states that the iPhone had an 8.4% share, and dropping. I don't think the carriers have to much to worry about.
35. tomn1ce (Posts: 182; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
Why is that, because they refuse to sale the iphone which is actually eating up their profit? Their goal is to make as much profit as possible and all these 3 Russian wireless carriers are doing are cutting ties with a product which is not helping them make a profit.
52. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Bingo!! Smart move says apple's market share.
56. donfem (Posts: 618; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
All hail mxy, the one with the 'foresight' that can tell Apple's future.
8. Galen20K (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 Dec 2008)
Is anybody really surprised at this..... we knew there'd eventually be a backlash from the industry as other manufacturers became as popular as Apple.
11. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
i would be glad to see if rest of countries also make similar moves :)
14. MartianMe (unregistered)
Sounds to me like apple is the real communist .
15. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
go back apple.
you can only fool US people by hypnotising them saying about nationality.
16. kaira (Posts: 26; Member since: 12 May 2013)
Now take that you bad Fruit... Selfish company...
26. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3690; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yeah very true, selfish company. overpriced iCraps.
23. platformwars (Posts: 86; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Apple should realize that its not in the dominant position it was in 2008 when they laid out the terms.. apart from the US i dont see Apple in a dominant position anywhere else in the world.. and yes.. THIS IS A BIG BLOW FOR APPLE.. Specially when they are going to release a cheap phone as well.. Maybe they think that when they do come out with the low cost iPhone the carriers will beg them again for selling the device.. i dont think that will be the case though.
25. aco96 (Posts: 238; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
I don't understand something: Iphone 5 16gb 570€, lumia 1020 540€. LOL
27. specialedition99 (Posts: 2; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Apple has got the IOS UI covered with IOS 7. Now they should stop making 2 or 1 phone a year and go ahead with several phones in seizes and prices. That is the only way out if they wana take up the fight, the rest of the competition just makes too many phones a year and then the compare to apple.
28. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
How I love mother Russia! They are smart and right. Apple being too damn harsh/strict with its sale program.
30. ilia1986 (unregistered)
In Soviet Russia, Carriers ban Apple! :D
32. Dion25 (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jul 2012)
This will create a frenzy in Russia. Ppl always desire what they cannot have so easy. I'm betting the Black Market, Stolen IPhones, and Auction Sites like Ebay all see a surge in Russia due to low supply high demand.
53. roscuthiii (Posts: 2027; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
They've had steadily swindling market share. This isn't the first carrier to drop the product. They're basically telling people they can't have what they already either don't care about, or don't want.
With Apple about to release their cheaper iPhone verison, this is a pretty big blow to them.
40. Topcat488 (Posts: 1379; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
I can do things on a OG-Note that the iphone 5 can not do.!. Multi-Window tasking, just to name one... I would guess the Russian carriers are switching to Samsung, because the people found that out too.
47. oister85 (Posts: 453; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Good stuff russia dont let these arrogants tell you what to do.
58. cobaltox1 (Posts: 8; Member since: 06 Jul 2012)
I live in a developing nation..MEXICO....and I can asure you iphone is far from being a status simbol anymore....that was maybe a couple of years ago,here in mexico anyone can have a free iphone on contract...I would say people who think a phone can be a status simbol are just airheads....unless we are talking a dimond wrapped one!!!!
59. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Every carrier should boycott Apple. I have no idea how they allowed Apple that much power before but it should have never happened. Apple getting all the huge profit margins and all the carriers get is people coming into their stores to buy accessories? Why did carriers even agree that in the first place?
Apple rapes everyone because they can. About time people begin to stand up to them. Except HTC who still let's them rape them by giving them money for each phone sold. Lol
61. roscuthiii (Posts: 2027; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
In another big blow to Apple... The US won it's e-book price fixing case against Apple.
I dunno, maybe I missed the article here on PA or maybe they just forgot to cover it. But, I've seen it in the news elsewhere - 2 days ago.
62. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 224; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
When Apple release their new iphone, how many do you think they are going to sell at full price since everyone expects a free one on a plan.
Then with no more carrier support for the new model, their's a good chance it won't work properly as you know how Apple likes to change standard protocols.
67. marioellobo (Posts: 44; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
they think that just for the price people is going to assume that's the new one have apple heard about internet ? just my opinion.