Apple courts publishers for iPad digital newsstand

0. phoneArena 19 Sep 2010, 23:37 posted on

Apple is in talks with publishers about an iPad digital newsstand service for periodicals, but there may be resistance...

posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:48

1. RobC (unregistered)

160 million accounts but how many of them want or are willing to pay for that? I don't read the newspaper or order magazines anymore because I have the internet. Most content can be found there for free so why pay?

posted on 20 Sep 2010, 08:31

2. easytochris (Posts: 126; Member since: 21 Jan 2010)

i would. in the event of being able to have a daily newspaper delivered to me at the same time every morning and i can read the news without having to carry around a bunch of mangazines/newspapers that are just clutter on my desk would be fantastic.

posted on 20 Sep 2010, 09:05

3. Hen (unregistered)

I feel you RobC but considering how many of these news outlets are hurting for money, it will only be a matter of time before they start moving to pay services or they are going to require a lot more personal data. They are going to have to jump on board because their current business model is outdated.

posted on 20 Sep 2010, 11:58

4. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)

But I think that's the point. Instead of you having to go to news websites, the paper will be "delivered" to you every morning. Newspapers can provide more content in their digital news stand every month and have an even better way of tracking their subscriptions than before. And the thing about newspapers is that most of the money came from advertising, not you actually purchasing the paper. Paper purchases made it a lot easier to track subscriptions. Imagine if it all went digital...you'll know exactly how many tablets you're sending it to, even if the service is free. Then you can charge your advertisers a bit more...plus there is no more paying for broadsheets. Everything would be electronic. This is what will save the newspaper industry.

posted on 20 Sep 2010, 15:23

5. RobC (unregistered)

All valid points and I see where people are coming from... but given the prevalence of piracy no matter how cheap they make media I just don't see consumers wanting to be tied to a subscription service in the long term. I remember buying newspapers and magazines and out of the dozens of articles I was really only interested in about 4-5. Maybe if it was offered to just pay a dime to a quarter to read an article I'd be more interested.