Apple claims Samsung GALAXY Nexus infringes on "slide-to-unlock" feature
0. phoneArena 20 Jan 2012, 16:20 posted on
While the Mannheim Regional Court in Germany ruled in Apple's favor on one of the seven patents that Samsung claims that Apple has illegally used, the latter is accusing Samsung in the same court, of infringing its "slide-to-unlock" patent on the Samsung GALAXY Nexus...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
I love apple , but this time apple has gone overboard . Every company is using slide to unlock , is apple gonna sue them all ? Love the product , not the company that made it
16. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
As annoying as this is, I'm more annoyed by the folks who issued that patent than Apple itself. Apple has to defend it's patents and copywrites by law, but the question is should it have been issued to begin with. I'm a huge Apple guy and I don't even think they should have been awarded a "Slide to Unlock" patent. But since they were, this is what comes from it.
17. biophone (Posts: 1956; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Yea I enjoy apple products as well but I have to disagree on this patent as well. Unless it is a carbon copy ripoff of the slide to unlock on the iPhone they don't have much of a case. The act of sliding to unlock a phone is pretty basic and not even something they invented. I trust the courts will see this as well.
37. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
its not even close to the one apple uses. Its the ICS slide to unlock which u can slide in pretty much any direction, not just the set tracks like the iphone has.
apple is just up to their old tricks of trying to sue anyone that is successful. If they win against the G-Nexus, it sets up a win for EVERY ICS phone automatically unless they change the lock screen.. again.
But yea, I do agree jeff, the patent system is as much to blame for giving apple ammo as apple is for firing it.
56. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
actually in ICS you can only swipe right to unlock the phone but it slides from the center to right not from left to right . And the design is way diffrent . All platforms have diffrent design i respect them all but i am still an iOS kind of guy
22. Sackboy117 (Posts: 178; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Apple's vision of the world is BRAVE NEW WORLD(book)!!!!!!
27. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
> Every company is using slide to unlock , is apple gonna sue them all ?
The fact is that Apple has the patent on slide to unlock.
53. chadrick0814 (Posts: 209; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
The fact is that Apple did not invent slide to unlock which will make their patent claim null and void in court, just as the the article states.
29. Mario1017 (Posts: 336; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
Is apple really this desperate for costumers? They`ve stooped so low that they have to sue for every little thing? What about that little on off switch used in settings? They`re probably gonna sue over that too. Wouldn't `t be very surprised.
31. vijaysivakula (Posts: 224; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
Great. Now you have gone and given them an idea. Expect another round of law suits from Apple. Hey, how does "Apple vs Rest of the World" sound?
38. Windsponge (Posts: 92; Member since: 01 Nov 2009)
They have all the customers they want. Their is another issue here and if they want to waste a little of their money so be it. No different than us buying a beer. Can't save it all. With that being said the I phone forced all companies to get off their duffs and try to give better phones. They spanked windows and for that I'm thankful. How many companies would build the IPhone and sell it if they could?
32. fost4real (Posts: 27; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
They have too much money so they can afford to engage in this nonsense.
35. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 660; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
It's the lawyers advising apple to do all this stupid suing, so they can get $$ into their pockets
50. b4ckr3ad1ngth1ssh1t (Posts: 16; Member since: 21 Jan 2012)
Apple going after my phone?? f**k that, no track, and different directions. No Case.
2. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
someone should sue apple for sueing too much!
4. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
apple attacks in court samsung attacks through commercials... but honestly i think it is more the govs fault for issuing patents on simple stuff like this... ipad was alright but this is overboard.. but what do they expect apple to do by giving them a patent like this? tell everyone else they are free to use it dont worry?
46. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Just like M$ except their taking money from every Android device from every manufacturer when M$ already have billion ofdollars and when their mobile dept not making money they sieze the opportunity too take cash from other companies.
48. snowgator (Posts: 3586; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Yep, Gadget, same thing. Except Microsoft worked with these other companies and came to licensing agreements to allow the companies to use their patents legally and without dragging them to court while trying to ban their products all over the world. Oh, wait, it really isn't like this at all. Huh.
54. deathyyy (Posts: 101; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
Apple isn't required to 'work with' a company and come to a licensing agreement if they don't want to.. Every company is just trying to make money and keep their competitors from making money. I don't know why anyone is even moderately surprised. That being said, it's a lock screen. Whoooo cares. (Besides the Apple legal team..)
5. hunted (Posts: 403; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
This is what i posted 30mins ago in sam sunged article
6. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
APPLE STFU!! Getting sick and tired of your petty patent dispute
43. QWIKSTRIKE (Posts: 1130; Member since: 09 Mar 2010)
How petty can you get.....touch screens have been used in banks since for ever. HTC used touchscreens in the pocket pc phones. Compaq used touch screens in the original pocket pc. Aplle just repackaged the way thingsthat were already developed, and some how got a patent on things by doing just a lil some thing different. GTFO!
7. Meth7 (Posts: 20; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Typical Apple. I am not even surprised. It is a clear indication of Apple thinking of Samsung & Google as their main threat.
8. jove39 (Posts: 1858; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Apple gonna lose it...coz GNex doesn't exactly infringe on their crappy patent...here is little snippet - "The device is unlocked if contact with the display corresponds to a predefined gesture for unlocking the device"...I think there is no predefined gesture to unlock GNex...or there is?
12. mad5870 (Posts: 60; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I would say no because you touch the circle and you can move your finger in any path you want to get to the "lock" symbol which then unlocks the phone. that path is not predefined.
19. SleepingOz (unregistered)
gonna be an EPIC FAIL for apple on this..
9. irvinkeith (Posts: 57; Member since: 27 Jan 2010)
c'mon Apple, really. I'll defend you to the end.......when you're right. You're taking it too far. This is coming from one of the biggest apple fanboys out there. Apple should stop wasting all this money and time in court and focus more and some new features for iOS.
10. rcwfox2002 (Posts: 41; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
Can't wait to see what Google will do to apple once the purchase of Motorola goes through
11. laflaf (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Jan 2012)
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will never buy another apple product !! I have an ipad, and was thinking of getting a macbook. but I can't support a company that sews everyone over stupid "patents" like this !!!!
keep the market open for competition ! fight with innovation , people buy apple because of its capability to innovate . I'm not going to buy a galaxy nexus for the "slide to unlock" feature (I'm not even sure that its a "feature") I slide to unlock my window, I slide to unlock my laptop, I slide to unlock my freaking zipper!!!
Apple, I was waiting for the iphone 5 to upgrade my old dumb phone, but now... yep... I'm going for the galaxy nexus ! as much as I love apple, I can't support a company who sews its way out of competition !!
13. manuell3g (Posts: 66; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
I love de end of ur comment" sew your way out of a competition"
14. ghost__uwi (Posts: 175; Member since: 28 Nov 2011)
Really I have an iPad 2 and I don't agree with that.
15. Mr.Mr.Upgrade (Posts: 474; Member since: 30 Aug 2011)
This is why i dont buy apple anything.... they cant stand competion......
18. biophone (Posts: 1956; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
I think that is a bit of an overstatement.
20. Sackboy117 (Posts: 178; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I really hope this article twisted some words because no company is dumb enough to do something like this. But then Apple could just be so desperate in limiting innovation. And I'm pretty sure they got something against Asians, or foreign.
21. Boti95 (Posts: 162; Member since: 05 Sep 2010)
I really hope they never make TV's. Then, Apple is going to start suing any TV they see in their way because of the "design, features, interface, blah blah blah."
23. skymitch89 (Posts: 1299; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Apple shouldn't be going after Samsung because of the "Slide to unlock" on the Galaxy Nexus. If anything, they should be going after Google because it is a feature of Android 4.0 ICS and nothing that Samsung did. Apple is just not happy that there's true competition against their iOS and iPhone.
24. sonisoe (Posts: 411; Member since: 06 May 2009)
motorola & nokia - the first manufacturers in the mobile technology must have "everything" they can use to sue apple.....while i like how these companies have been low-key thus far, wondering why so though ? they can practically shut apple down..
26. imkyle (Posts: 1073; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Apple you are the number 1 supplier in cell phones and in computers your on top as well. Please stop with this petty stuff.
47. nickjjay (Posts: 79; Member since: 10 Oct 2011)
Sorry about the thumbs down. I meant to give u a thumbs up on that.
28. thebikerboi2 (Posts: 144; Member since: 01 Apr 2011)
Ok I can understand apple trying to protect there patents but this is a too far, how els are you ment too unlock a phone, I suppose this just opened the way for android to make voice unlock
30. bossmt_2 (Posts: 449; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
This looks nothing like and has additional functions, terrible lawsuit.
33. GalaxyOptimus (Posts: 23; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
I'm out of word
apple you are a greedy bas***d
34. vijaysivakula (Posts: 224; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
Maybe they would not have a problem if we unlock our phones with "doing a Macarena" before the phone. Hold it. Didnt that rotten fruit company also patent gesture control? Rats!!
36. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
So, maybe Samsung can invent a new way to unlock the phone:
1) Say the words - 'PHONE UNLOCK'
2) Pound your fist on the screen
3) Draw a butterfly shape on the screen
4) Use a mental image that would connect to the phone to unlock it.\
5) Tap your shoes together 3 times.
39. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
as idiotic this is, I find hard to feel for manufacturers if they are getting sued over this. on contrary.
their fault for using such stupid system. I always hated the f**king slide to unlock.. using home hardware key and then direct unlock icon(like I do on my xperia arc) is way better.
or double tapping the screen to unlock, like in meego OS
40. solidsnakeduds013 (Posts: 218; Member since: 20 Oct 2010)
The unlock button starts in the middle of the screen and you can slide left or right to unlock the phone or go to the camera. As for apple you only slide to the right to unlock the phone. Apple doesn't have a case here and they aren't going anywhere with this
41. pagusman (Posts: 8; Member since: 30 Jan 2011)
Actually, it resembles more the unlocking pattern of webOS than that of iOS. As solid snake mentions, that's similar to how unlocking works on a palm pre with the exception of taking you directly to the camera. Yet, I haven't seen the struggling HP raise their voice over this.
42. gotti88 (Posts: 101; Member since: 06 Jul 2011)
wow!!! apple apple apple...im eating a apple rite now wait m i about to catch a case
44. shafboy (Posts: 179; Member since: 26 Sep 2010)
Kind of stupid because although it uses the same feature, it is clearly different when seen.
45. THETECHTEAM (Posts: 82; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
IM SO SICK OF APPLE TRYING TO SUE EVERYONE OVER STUPID STUFF WELL IN THAT CASE THEY SHOULD HAVE SUED GOOGLE FOR THAT BECAUSE THAT'S THE OPERATING SYSTEM GOOGLE MADE.. DANG DUMMIES. ANDROID 4.0 ICECREAM SANDWICH ANDROID 3.0 HONEYCOMB HAS THE SAME FEATURE WHICH IS ON THE MOTOROLA XOOM TABLET SO NO SAMSUNG DID STEAL THAT. DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF ANDROID OPERATING SYSTEMS HAVE DIFFERENT UNLOCK FEATURES..REALLY? REALLY APPLE STOP BEING A SORE LOSER AND JUST GIVE IT UP FOR ANDROIDS... ANDROID MAKERS ARE NOT TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH APPLE ITS APPLE WHO IS TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH ANDROID OPERATING SYSTEM.... KILL YOURSELF APPLE
49. snowgator (Posts: 3586; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Sigh ....... I am so depressed by this stuff. We really have to ban mobile companies from the patent offices around the world until they all grow up and learn to play nice.
51. zaryab_hussain77 (Posts: 104; Member since: 30 Jun 2011)
I can only say f**k yoy apple?. Now there only problem is sgs3
52. Windsponge (Posts: 92; Member since: 01 Nov 2009)
It's not about how you slide but the patent is for sliding to open. They have a right to to do what they are doing. Not sure I agree with it though. Must admit there is a lot of copying going on.
55. droidnator (Posts: 87; Member since: 10 Mar 2011)
Apple isn't good enough to innovate, so they have to litigate.