Apple buys WifiSLAM for $20 million, company provides indoor positional data
0. phoneArena 23 Mar 2013, 23:18 posted on
Apple dipped into petty cash and paid $20 million for WifiSLAM which is a company that provides indoor positioning technologies which can locate a mobile device within 2.5 meters of accuracy using just a Wi-Fi signal; Apple can use the acquisition to help it compete with Google's indoor maps which works in airports, sports stadiums and shopping centers...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Interesting, Apple may have something up their sleeve, the purchase would of been a bargain for them!
2. blackice214 (Posts: 163; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
They are going to market this as revolutionary innovation.
4. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
LOL thats what i call innovation from Apple
14. gregoryyy3 (Posts: 154; Member since: 10 Nov 2010)
comments like these are getting real old and arent funny anymore after the thousandth time.. just saying
20. MyJobSux (Posts: 83; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
Im still amused, but then again, im not an inovative barista who stands in line for days awaiting the next iCrap that is the same thing as the old iCrap but with a new commercial...just saying...
21. Ninetysix (Posts: 1669; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Im still amused, but then again, im not an inovative barista who stands in line for days awaiting the next Samdung that is the same thing as the old Samdung but with a new commercial...just saying...
(S3 to S4)
22. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Copycat no need to Xerox him! You're come back was futile
31. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
For me bashing Apple is Funny, and if you don't agree with me, you will have a face like my Avatar pic :D
5. DKMDROID (Posts: 102; Member since: 09 Aug 2011)
The way i see it they are just acquiring these Small companies because they know they cant do it themselves and yes they are spending millions but only for apple maos to be "comparable" to google maps.....
11. vincelongman (Posts: 1597; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I think those most of the other comment above were sarcastic and mocking apple for not innovating in the past few years
6. BackHandLegend (Posts: 80; Member since: 15 Dec 2012)
Oh man... Apple didn't 'innovate' they bought a company and are now taking advantage of it.
7. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
apple has learned. the company without steve jobs. is like a body without its head
8. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Steve Jobs just stood around and when it came to the release date, he danced around with everybody believing *he* made it. Yes Steve Jobs really made Apple big and revolutionary, but he was also there at the right time (iPod, iTunes, Mac, iPhone, Tablet).
9. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I smell again a big fail after seeing the Apple Maps!!
10. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Anyways i think that Apple being exclusive out from other companies will not be good for Apple, especially after the death of Steve Jobs, they should not rush a lot
13. nekofyre (Posts: 2; Member since: 24 Mar 2013)
Indoor maps! Life in a video game is that much closer!
15. jibraihimi (Posts: 695; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Now people will get lost even indoors.........
16. Droiddoes (unregistered)
Further proof appfail cannot innovate, but merely steal and buy others' ideas.
19. Ninetysix (Posts: 1669; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Typical fandroid comment. Check out the list of companies bought by Google vs the ones bought by Apple.
Who's stealing and buying ideas now? LOL...
23. lolioslol (banned) (Posts: 182; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
And? Google/Android has done far more to advance the mobile platform than apple ever could.
And to answer your (stupid) question: apple. apple steals and buys FAR more than anyone else, and they STILL produce a sub par underperforming novelty product. Deal with it.
24. Ninetysix (Posts: 1669; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Your name suits you :) I really did LOL at your comment Mr. comedian.
25. lolioslol (banned) (Posts: 182; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
And yours suits you. I assume that's your IQ?
26. Ninetysix (Posts: 1669; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Is that even an insult? LOL ..oh fandroids are so funny when they lose an argument.
Google buys 120+ companies
Apple buys 40+ companies
Apple buys more companies!
27. lolioslol (banned) (Posts: 182; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
I am legitimately convinced you are stupid and/or sufferring from a debilitating learning disability.
Doesn't matter who bought more companies: Google and Android in general has contributed VASTLY more innovation to the industry thqan appfail. This...this really is not debatable.
28. Ninetysix (Posts: 1669; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Strong comeback :) I'm overwhelmed by all the proof that you've provided us. Thank you.
18. lyndon420 (Posts: 1782; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Hopefully it works out ok for them. It would be embarrassing to need Google's help again with providing reliable navigation.
30. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Well, one thing Apple is good at...buying companies.