Apple announces the iPhone 5
0. phoneArena 12 Sep 2012, 12:18 posted on
Here it is, folks! The moment we've all been waiting for. At the Apple press conference in San Francisco, the iPhone 5 was announced officially by Apple's Phil Schiller...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
119. -box- (Posts: 3820; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
There were more improvements to RIM in various 2-3 year cycles than apple has had in 5. Color screens (started monochromatic, if you may recall), improved keyboards, optical trackpads instead of track balls, touch screens, different form factors, introductory-level sets (i.e. Pearl & Curve), significant OS updates, etc etc
34. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
if someone says this thing cost more then 500$ i kill my self after choking myself to death.
74. mrbtree (Posts: 59; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
an iphone 4s 16gb unlocked in australia is $800, iphone 4 8/16 gb (can't remember which one it is) unlocked is $645 and a 3gs is $429 on a PREPAID. so an iphone 5 with it's "revolutionary" screen, icons, camera, etc. will sell for about $1000 knowing apple
80. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well then kill me already this stuff not worht the money they charging unless they got heavy taxes on it
90. mrbtree (Posts: 59; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
actually steve wazniak said we pay so much in taxes here in aus, it's ridiculous. eg: a ford mustang is about 40-50 thousand in the us (give or take) here in aus. $150, 000+
91. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
and others pay less well Sale Taxes are based on income and profits they are shooting with if they price low sale taxes will be according to other taxes i dont know
75. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
it will cost more then 500 with out contract heck im sure the iphone 4 will with no gigs
121. -box- (Posts: 3820; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
That's a bit excessive, isn't it haseebzahid? iphones aren't worth your life, or anyone's for that matter
36. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
SO i have herd of this iOld Crap last year also .. wait am i watching the same event happening again this year but with out Jobs ???... :O
44. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
I know. it's more like an episode of The Twilight Zone...lol!!!
38. sudbury78 (Posts: 129; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
It's amazing how much of you hate apple. Why change the phone when it outsells everything in the world? You people need to get over it, that your current android is a joke. APPLE CONQUERS ALL
45. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
we dont mind it selling good its not what anyone meant here i think its what people thought that after making so much cash they might just do some RnD to bring something WoW factor to users but it is same level any other company out there is giving every new tech they can come up with look at nokia Pureview camera its the first step in revolution of cameras in phones. dont take me for a apple hater i love apples its just this company is way to stuborne and lazy
76. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
its not out selling anything buddy android sold 65 percent of the market this past yr. where do you get your facts.
39. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
i think my decision to go for wp7 last year turn out to be correct i see more innovation and compelling devices ahead in WP8 rather in this Ecosystem
40. Jonathan41 (Posts: 529; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
After so many leak there are NO surprises here. Not like I expected any in the first place.
41. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
I'm sure it will be a good phone, but does it bring anything to the table that is better than the current top shelf Android phones? No, imo. For those who have Apple and want to stick with it, this will do fine. However, I just don't see anything here that will drive any Android users to drop it and pick up the new iPhone.
This should definitely go down as disappointing, because an announcement of this size should have something that is a "game changer", which this announcement is totally lacking.
Stop the patent trolling Apple and actually make a truly advanced device. Then talk about how awesome your iPhone is.
42. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
LTE! hahahahah samsung gonna get that ass!
46. e.wvu (unregistered)
Disappointed, but wasn't expecting nothing better. So I am still happy with my GS3 purchase.
47. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
I see Nokia's windows phone 8 surpassing apple and competing with android.......
50. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well if that device is wht it looks then nokia might be feeling 2013 is their lucky year Android market is at almost peak those who dont want to buy android are left only so apple ask for to much cash for this kind of toys Wp8 devices are the next better choice for rest of users i think WP8 market may go up by 5-15% in 3 or 4 quaters
49. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3012; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
3 told 4 to lose some weight... 4 got mad, went for liposuction and length enhancing surgery.
Came out, looked down on 3 and said, 'This is the new me, i'm 5 times taller than you!' :P
51. e.wvu (unregistered)
You mean .5 times taller than you.
53. remixfa (Posts: 13930; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Im watching the live blog. Jon Ive is on talking about how incredibly difficult it was to increase the screen size while keeping it one hand usable.
Seriously dude.. you went 0.5 inches straight up.. did it take you a whole year to figure that out??
or did you just look at the SGS1 and go.. oh yea.. we can do it just like that!! lol.
56. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
i would say watching Twilight movie over and over again might be better then buying same Iphone over and over again :P
77. mrbtree (Posts: 59; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
Ijust had to
103. Fallout09 (Posts: 417; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Hey buddy last time I checked.... It is hard to develope between rounds of golf.
57. AlexYouOC (Posts: 53; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
The iPhone was a great phone when it first came out and up until the 4 it was pretty much undisputed as the best smartphone available..... But now, the iPhone is so damn boring and repetitive it makes me sick.
You will always have your die hard Apple fans who will argue how its the best creation known to man, but the reality of the situation is that this phone has been years behind the competition for a long time now.
With all of the hype thats been building up for the past year about the amazing iPhone 5, I am beyond disappointed. I expected a phone thats going to blow everything out of the water. But of course, it wont smh. I appreciate my Galaxy S3 that much more now
60. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well now ur comment made my day and it made me think how awsome was Nokia who held top postion for like 16 years and apple could not held it for more then 5 years hardly that was something i guess
58. AzhiKarim (Posts: 5; Member since: 24 May 2012)
Wow the Revolutionary 5th Row of Applications!! btw it's nothing compared to Lumia 920
59. TheGMan (Posts: 3; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Now apple will sue all the makers of micro USB cables for copying the design or their brand new connector... oh wait!
61. cdgoin (Posts: 369; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
Why no T-mo again.. ? Thats OK.. I hate iPhone anyway.
62. i_am_aman (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
OMG...!!! Its got whole new revolutionary design... its longer, slimmer, lighter... OMG!!!
F**k off Apple. U & ur is**ts can never turn me on. Good night folks....
64. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
The only thing i see good and revolutionary here is the iphone 4 will be free with contract. You mean apple isnt gonna rape me for a 4 yr old phone. But then again it doesnt say how many gigs. IM guessin the 4s will come in 8 gigs to make it cheaper so the 4 will give you 4 gigs maybe who knows.
67. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Last comment. DId anyone else see how vauge Apple was when saying its stats. Itll be twice as fast and twice as good. SO what size processor and graphics card is it exactly does anyone know. If its twice as fast as the one from 3 yrs ago great but is it faster then a sgs3 or anything android or windows has. Why cant apple give us real numbers instead of misleading the sheep
68. djoscar4u (Posts: 59; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
f**k my galaxyS2! Here I come iphone 5 ;-)
71. remixfa (Posts: 13930; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
good, if its an Exynos SGS2, you can just donate that to me. thanks :)
78. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
yea anyone wants to give up there android for a iphone 5 i dont care what android it is i know plenty of people that will buy it from you.
69. melvineus (Posts: 17; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
A quite nice upgrade if youre using 1st gen iphone now.. Hehe
72. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Sorry i lied it also read better from camera god i hope so what was it a 1/10 mp in the front the pics were so bad. but insted of saying its better hey apple please what are the actuall numbers and stats dont just say its better we promise.
79. thatguy312 (Posts: 3; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
Samsung S 3-
picture while recording
i phone 5-
..... you decide
134. BattleBrat (Posts: 1093; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
The GS3 has 2gb of RAM and NFC, AND a larger screen, AND an HDMI out w/adapter WITHOUT having to buy a 100$ worthless TV thing... There is more, but I'm more familiar with MOTO's offerings....
81. naga.appani (Posts: 36; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
Finally a Phone that's got nothing new yet can fool million around.... Stop getting fooled u iTrolls... Learn from Mistakes...
84. Jyakotu (Posts: 821; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
Since getting my Galaxy Nexus, which just got upgraded to Android 4.1.1 this morning, I've become #TeamAndroid all the way. Looking at the iPhone 5, I've finally seen the light. The iPhone 5 is what the iPhone 4S should have been last year. The design is, more-or-less, the same, just taller. iOS 6 seems to bring NOTHING innovative. So far, the only thing worth buying is the new iPod Nano, but Apple seemed to get inspired by the N9/Lumia line because that's EXACTLY what they look like. Honestly, I'm disappointed in Apple as a company, but more disappointed in their followers. Apple followers will just buy whatever and not even get their money's worth. They pay more for the same thing that barely brings anything new to the table. SMH
93. structureman116 (Posts: 135; Member since: 14 Sep 2010)
What carrier do you have your GNex with? And was the update OTA or did you root?
128. Jyakotu (Posts: 821; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
I have the GNex with Sprint and the update was OTA.
86. harvinder2111 (Posts: 5; Member since: 17 Jan 2012)
so when i take a dump tomorrow, it'll be just like iphone5....
92. structureman116 (Posts: 135; Member since: 14 Sep 2010)
Very unimpressive, and that is being generous. How can these fools think they are evolving and releasing these revolutionary devices when the crap on their newest model has been on Android phones for a year, if not more! The only product in their lineup i will consider is a new Nano and a Macbook...the criphone is just plain and simple an inferior product!
94. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
didn't the iphone 4s "disappoints" when it launched last year? what happened and how come did it outsold all phone manufacturers for 10 months? are you sure all you apple haters don't want to buy the iphone 5 or just a hater in front of their keyboards? if this phone outsold the s3, given the 3 months headstart, then mission failed for all you haters.
98. AlexYouOC (Posts: 53; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
The only thing Apple has going for it now is HYPE !!!..... Not 1 person can truly say why this iPhone is better than any Android phone available. The Apple branding is what sells their phones nowadays
109. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
what if they just happen to LIKE Apple products (MacBook, iMac, etc.)...wouldn't that truly be a reason to say the iPhone is better than any Android phone? do you have to provide a thesis on why you like an something now? LOL...you ppl make no sense. People aren't obligated to like Android.
100. omacmagics (Posts: 42; Member since: 27 Dec 2011)
Can't wait for d new Nexus device/devices I know for sure it will be way better than this new iPhone, hopefully we will be treated to some s4 pro and 320 GPU love in them at least I know what my money is buying.
104. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
lol@all the Apple hatred...if the phone is so uneventful...why are you even paying attention to this article? i know why...b/c the envy from the Android community is so thick it can be cut with a knife. btw i have a 4 month old 16GB S3 for sale w/a 32GB SD card...any takers?
110. flamencoguy (Posts: 97; Member since: 04 Aug 2012)
To see what all the hoopla is about. Nothing new. Same old rectangle they claimed to have invented. Same old "slide to unlock". Same old "bounce back on scroll end" . So what did they invent now? LTE? NFC, IPS. They got size increase idea from others ! What else can they claim other than rounded icons ?