Apple and Google spent more on patents than on R&D for the first time in 2011
0. phoneArena 08 Oct 2012, 05:00 posted on
The patent system has gone out of hand. Even Apple’s chief executive Tim Cook admitted: “There’s some of this that is maddening. It’s a waste; it’s a time suck”…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. MeoCao (unregistered)
Thank you very much Rotten Apple.
3. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1218; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Man its just a sign that innovation at Apple is dead!
19. Danre (Posts: 85; Member since: 02 Sep 2012)
Well, This is Apple new invention sue others.
In this I think Sony is best. No case at all.
27. ph00ny (Posts: 847; Member since: 26 May 2011)
If sony's handsets were selling like hotcakes, i don't think apple will leave them alone
9. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Dear US govt, confiscate Apple's cash (it's stolen money anyways) and send 100 missions to Mars!!
23. JC557 (Posts: 1266; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Apple and their Scorched Earth litigation...
2. hung2900 (Posts: 911; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
This year Samsung investigated over $40 billion into R&D.
4. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1218; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
and that's the reason they're the leader in smartphone sales this year. Take a cue Rotten Apple!
12. joey_sfb (Posts: 4755; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
That's why GS3 and Note 2 are lighting years ahead of the selfish rotten apple.
21. JC557 (Posts: 1266; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
They also opened a plant and some more offices in the US.
5. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4238; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It's a shame companies are spending more money on patents than they are R&D. I mean, when the biggest patent troll of all says "It’s a waste; it’s a time suck.” It's time to stop. It's affecting the consumers, this needs to end.
7. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
dont blame "companies", blame just rotten Apple...
34. 14545 (Posts: 1290; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I have to agree here. The eco-system was perfectly fine because apple decided to go "thermonuclear" on android. Apparently Tim Cook doesn't understand the definition of irony. If he really felt this way, then he should stop all the stupid lawsuits....Just a thought.
24. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
In a way....it depends on what you bought patents for.
You can buy patents for innovation or just to use em, or you can buy them to help against lawsuits. You can buy them just to sue others.
For defending lawsuits, we can lay some of the blame on Apple. I wonder where does Oracle fit in all this.
31. whysoserious (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
All these are courtesy of the great Steve Jobs who started the "thermonuclear war" bullsh*t. He knew that the system for patent is broken and grabbed the chance to abuse it. And now the creator of this chaos is gone, they need to cease firing and make like a peace treaty.
8. Naitto (Posts: 50; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
Well maybe the courts should throw all these patents out the window, and that would leave the door open for new competition to startup.
17. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Depends on what the patents are. Not all patents need to be thrown out.
25. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
This I agree with. Throw out the overly generic, broad ones.
28. mrochester (unregistered)
Personally I'm rather glad Apple kick started the smartphone and tablet revolution. I wouldn't like to think where we'd be if Apple hadn't entered either market.
11. Awaragardiyan (Posts: 83; Member since: 17 May 2012)
''innovation at apple is dead" , as if it existed
32. -box- (Posts: 3984; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
True. They just take what other companies have done and put it together, much like a Chinese KIRF or an electronics Erector set. Nothing new, just using the preexisting things and putting a different label on them
13. PowTheBowl (Posts: 86; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Oh wow, Apple might patent patenting soon so Apple can sue other companies who patent.
14. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
lmao this all Apple conspiracy has changed me to Apple hater! Before this I was neutral.
Also I never liked Sammy because of their designs but I'm starting to like the company due to its positive attitude. Also starting to like android :D
Go Sammy and Google!!
15. Naitto (Posts: 50; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
Half of these patents are just stupid anyway, there is probably a dozen or more useless little common thing that have been done in other products before throughout history one way or another. Round corners, you should see my Toaster, Are they being sued?
18. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Toasters aren't threatening Apple's iPhone or are they?
16. timtimity (Posts: 196; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
Patent rules should be a lot stricter. Patenting round corners is pathetic. Now we've got a culture where companies are patenting absolutely everything they think of just in case someone else patents it in the future and sues them. It's more about protection rather than wanting to keep their ideas to themselves.
Patents regarding the physical features of a phone should just be allowed so a company cannot copy the overall look of the phone but individual features such as round corners, the shape and placement of physical buttons, etc should be patent free and accessible to all.
Think of what phones we could see if companies are not restricted by ridiculous patents and could spend more money on r&d rather than having to spend money on patents to protect themselves in the future.
20. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Totally agree with you.. ultimately all of this just slows down the innovation and burdens the user wih additional consts incurred.
29. JunkCreek (Posts: 407; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
yes, and we all know who drew the very first blood.
30. lauremar (Posts: 181; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
33. Deadeye37 (Posts: 154; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)
Geez. Imagine if those companies didn't pour $20 billion into litigation and instead into innovation. I think we could've seen a huge leap in performace & polish on our devices.
I hope that changes happen to the whole patent system soon! After all this election BS is worked out, patent reform should be worked on! Give a boost to the R&D sector and less money to the vampiric lawyers!