Apple after Jobs - more relaxed and charitable atmosphere
0. phoneArena 02 Nov 2011, 07:27 posted on
The atmosphere at Apple has reportedly become a bit more relaxed, and employees have been informed that the company will match their donations to charitable organizations up to $10 000 a head. This is something Steve Jobs referred to as "giving money away" and has been opposing during his years at the helm...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Ha, something Steve referred to as "giving money away". That's exactly what it is Steve and most people with millions/billions of dollars don't mind giving away a little. As much as I respect Steve Jobs for his accomplishments the dude acted like a twelve year old in many aspects of his life.
7. MikeG77 (Posts: 379; Member since: 24 Nov 2008)
Iamcc its funny how you criticize Jobs for not "giving money away" even though its really should be defined as "wasting money". You make it seem like millionaire/billionaires are giving money away and in reality that could'nt be farther from the truth. Most people who are rich especially when there older are very cautious about how they invest and spend there money.....thats how they became rich.
12. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
What i'm saying is the fact that Steve Jobs considered donating to charity "giving money away" is pathetic.
And even worse, you back him up by saying that donating to charity is "wasting money".
You must live a sad lonely life my friend. I am very glad you posted that because you just made me feel WAY better about myself.
18. MikeG77 (Posts: 379; Member since: 24 Nov 2008)
Let me address your comments.
1. Yes if you have that kind of money you should give a little away BUT there is nothing requiring him to do so. A company doesn't make money by giving it away.
2. Now please explain to me how i said its wasting money. Maybe I wasn't clear about that statement. What i meant was that Steve Jobs should not have labeled it "giving money away" but instead he should have said "wasting money". Thats what his feelings were on giving to charity NOT mine.
3. Haha thats very funny that you assume I live a sad and lonely life BUT even though you dont know me your entitled to your opinion.
23. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Nothing requiring him to do so but the fact that Apple has more money in the bank than almost any other company (if not every other company) and still didn't donate any speaks to their character.
And, if I quote your original post "its funny how you criticize Jobs for not "giving money away" even though its really should be defined as "wasting money""
Maybe I misinterpreted what you meant to say, but considering the article is about DONATING TO CHARITY and Steve Jobs said that he would not DONATE TO CHARITY because it was giving money away, your "clarification" of what he said would lead one to believe that you think donating to charity is a waste.
Annnnd yes. I do believe that anyone who thinks donating to charity is a waste of money is a sad person. Just my opinion!
26. MikeG77 (Posts: 379; Member since: 24 Nov 2008)
Well i should have been more direct on what i meant but we can both agree that Steve Jobs saw giving money to charity was a waste. Ultimately that was my point.
25. vette21man (Posts: 351; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
MikeG77, Thanks for addressing. I interpreted your comment about "wasting money" the same as iamcc did.
I now agree with you....that Jobs should have clarified that he felt like making donations was "wasting money," not that he thought it was like "giving money away."
20. DetroitTech (Posts: 55; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
Yeah dude this isn't some occupy something forum. This is a tech blog. We want advancement at all costs!!!
j/k. But I still would like the best possible advancements in technology at a decent cost...
22. MikeG77 (Posts: 379; Member since: 24 Nov 2008)
Hey id pay a little more for a 4" iPhone 5 but we'll have to wait and see what Apple does : )
30. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you do realize that statistically the top 5% make like 90% of all donations that organizations run on, right?
Its also amazing that statistically the more liberal you lean the LESS you donate.. amazing since they are always the ones saying others should pay more.. as not as its not their money I suppose.
SJ was many things.. including a huge douche. From everything I've seen, I bet people were always worried about being fired around him.
34. MikeG77 (Posts: 379; Member since: 24 Nov 2008)
Yeh im aware of that statistic and i am glad you refreshed my memory.
36. snowgator (Posts: 3386; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Thanks for that remixfa, I was absolutly going there.
As a huge supporter and volunteer at the Salvation Army, we spend thousands of thousands of dollars to help with rent, water bills, food, clothing, and other basic needs, and all that is from donations. Of course there are tons of people who stop buy and give what they can. But mostly, huge checks come through very wealthy people who just hear we are short on resources and want to help. I have not heard of Mr. Jobs being generous at all, but I am sure the VAST majority of well off Apple executives are. Points to Mr. Cook for promoting that.
48. corporateJP (Posts: 2393; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Maybe he should have donated to cancer research earlier in his life instead of not "throwing money away".
33. Zippo310 (Posts: 4; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Some food for thought for all of you.http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2011/1
2. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
try to watch the movie 'Horrible Bosses'.. I think it describes Steve Jobs..
13. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Without watching the movie i'd say it's a stretch to call him a "horrible boss"... but he's definitely selfish.
80. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
a stretch....umm consider reading about his anger tantrums dude
3. Sniggly (Posts: 7290; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
More relaxed and charitable?! NO WAY!!! (imagine Genie from Aladdin saying that).
14. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Haha, I needed a laugh this morning thanks for that!
4. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
thats d reason google is better.. DONT B EVIL
5. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
They better not disappoint us with the 2012 iPhone.
29. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
no they wont.. bt yeah they will with iphone5s in 2013
72. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
I think you're trying to say that the "S" line of iPhones aims to disappoint.
6. DetroitTech (Posts: 55; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
Apple will surely fail now. This speak from Tim Cook is the same jargon bland corporate wanna be's spit out trying to be on the straight and narrow.
I have more respect for Steve Jobs now more than ever. Jobs was Apple's main advantage over other tech companies. He had a desire and charisma that allowed him to pave paths. Tim Cook seems nice enough but I doubt he has the vision/passion/desire that Jobs had. Sorry I just don't see it. Right now I'm thinking Ballmer has more vision/desire than Tim Cook. Steve Jobs was in fact a capitalist. I think a lot of people misunderstood him for some tree hugging hippie.
The only plus I could see from this is maybe Tim will see the logic of allowing Flash on these new super powered iDevices. That was the one thing that I couldn't understand Jobs being so defiant on. But back then the processing power wasn't quite there however it is now.
As far as matching corp donations go that fine I guess. I mean I'm no scrooge but if people want the "BEST" devices in the world it's going to require people with hard core drive focus and determination to bring that to you. And that usually requires sometimes being a bit of a dick. More or less anyway. But hey, we'll get what we get I guess.
9. DetroitTech (Posts: 55; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
Let me just say that Jobs probably thought that donation matching money could go towards R&D giving Apple that much more of an edge over competitors and creating a much better product for ..... you. The user. And if your job is creating the best devices in the world(not being a philanthropist) than it makes sense.
17. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
well sir ip4s teardown shows the cost somewhere arround $200.. so if apple needs even more money out of user then they should price it arround $1000.. n yeah that `ll surely help `em to do some r&d to make better phones... and yeah idevices are not d best .... ip4s is a mid range phone now which actually does not change anything any more... come outta your dream world now... dont mean to disrespect you and i m sorry if i did but you sound like the only way apple can do some quality r&d is to stop charity... and sue people ... and APPLE IS NOT CREATING A BETTER WORLD
27. vette21man (Posts: 351; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
I feel dumber after reading your comment; please invest in grammar courses. I'll try to interpret:
You're saying that Apple does not invest in R&D to make better phones? Apparently, you have not read any PhoneArena articles as of late. They clearly layout the interpreted business plan of Apple: release an advanced device every even year, and release a slightly upgraded version the following year (the 'S' years). Following this trend, we will witness a pretty significant upgrade with the iPhone 5/6/2.0. And it is most likely that Apple's R&D team has been working on this new device since the iPhone 4 came out last year, possibly right along side the 4S. There's no way you can say the iPhone 4S is a mid-range phone. Even PhoneArena stated in their review for the 4S:
"Right now, we believe the Apple iPhone 4S is deserving a rating of 9/10, when we consider its overall quality, features and price..."
I'm still irate they stated this following the above:
"...but we'll actually give it an 8.5, because it is only an incremental upgrade from last year's iPhone."
The 4S competes very well with the rest of the competition, but it's just not a giant upgrade from the 4.
28. vette21man (Posts: 351; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
And your screen name is bunk; Zeus is NOT the thunder god, he is the KING of the greek gods. He throws lightning bolts that MAKE the sound of thunder, but he is not the god of thunder. The only true god of thunder is Thor.
31. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
i think u r hurt man .. .. go n ask SIRI.. might b able to help ya.. lol
38. snowgator (Posts: 3386; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
I KNOW!! You would think that would be comon knowledge these days. Geez.
40. snowgator (Posts: 3386; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
My comment was to you, vetteman, on Thor and not Zeus being the God of Thunder. Don't like the way these threads are not indented under their intended response like they used to be.
51. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol Vette, you are confusing your mythologies. Zeus is greek, Thor is Norse. They are BOTH the "god of thunder" for their cultures.
59. snowgator (Posts: 3386; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Totally true, remixfa. I should have voiced that.
Oh, and Odin would wup Zeus and his fancy toga and Thor would so bury Herc.....
61. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Hmm.. there isnt a Norse counterpart for medeusa, so the greeks would probably win as she turns everyone to stone.
66. snowgator (Posts: 3386; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
DAWG-CRAP!! Yeah, guess we will give them that one...
67. vette21man (Posts: 351; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
My Thor comment was more of a joke and continuation of a rant that I can't stand reading people's garbled words like ZEUS.the.thunder.god's.
And NO, Zeus is NOT the god of thunder! If not the "king of the gods," he's the "god of makin' babies with his sisters."
71. snowgator (Posts: 3386; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Man, this is so much more fun than a Apple VS. Android thread....
49. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You obviously have zero understanding of what costs go into making a phone. The parts are only part of the costs. You have r&d, manufacturing, marketing etc.
Mid range phone?! Lmao watch this "mid range" phone crush every phone in its path and break records.
Apple is creating huge advances in tech. If it wasn't for them you'd still have a smartphone with a keyboard with no apps and a s**t web browser.
Say thank you Steve
53. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yea, because steve invented that..
he also invented the rectangle
oh.. and stealing from everyone while suing others for the same thing
15. MikeG77 (Posts: 379; Member since: 24 Nov 2008)
DetroitTech you are absolutely right that Jobs was capitalist when running Apple but from a political stand point he was very liberal. Thats WHY Jobs was so successful because he was able to see that mixing business and politics were bad for the company. A lot of people don't realize that any CEO's responsibility is to his/her employees and investors to make the company profitable.
8. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 637; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Every dictator had a charisma. It's a mass psychology thing - projecting the god-like leadership fantasy on the most prominent and agressive persons who managed to climb to the top and stay there due to their no-mercy-opsessive-compulsive disorders gained through their life, most often in their childhood.
11. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
right .. !!!!
39. snowgator (Posts: 3386; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
You do realize this guy was a tech CEO, right? No single person died on Steve Job's desk at his command and I am willing to bet no bodies will be found buried in mass graves behind Apple HQ. Your screen name kinda messes up any real chance we will take your conspiracy theories serious. But, we will enjoy.....
43. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 637; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Dictatorship is not defined by people who died because of it, but by manipulative dimension behind ideological propaganda of freedom and choice, and that was precisely Apple under Steve Jobs.
The fact that we now don't have classic religions and politics doesn't mean they have dissapeared - they are now substituted with "innocent" stories of technology and consumerism by choice. Only shallow consumer will fall on that.
47. snowgator (Posts: 3386; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Okay, let me catch up here....
So your use of dictatorship in this case is due to "manipulative dimension behind ideological propaganda of freedom and choice, and that was precisely Apple under Steve Jobs".
Okay, so no engineer could quit under Steve Jobs? No developer or public relations people could leave to find a new job? Once an Apple employee walked through the hell-ish gates of Steve Jobs H.Q., they were chained to a desk and secret police cameras on their desks kept them at work? No other person brought an idea to Steve Jobs or was allowed creative thought, it was ALL HIM? He did all the Mac laptops, iPods, created the iPad all by himself, and all the R&D people set cowering in the corner, unable to voice concerns or ideas due to the fact they may not have been fed?
Are you basing this on Apple's court procedures, which Samsung and HTC are also taking advantage of against Apple? Are you basing this on Apple's refusal to allow apps in unless they approve it, as Microsoft follows that lead and consumers are flocking to Android because they have a choice on that platform?
Please continue on, my friend... I am enjoying this.
50. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You're clearly an idiot. Hopefully there's an ip ban in your near future.
83. Sniggly (Posts: 7290; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I think maybe you're getting out of hand with your expressed desire to see everyone banned.
10. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
what do u exactly mean by "super powered iDevices" .. ip4s is a mid range phone nw.
16. DetroitTech (Posts: 55; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
Dual Core 1+ghz procs w a gig+ of RAM.
When the Flash debate was initially spurred with iDevices that was around the 3GS time. overclocked 600~800 mhz single procs with 256~512 RAM...
19. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
gig+ of RAM ???.. its actually 512 mb .. and if these specs are of best phone then please see d spec sheet of sgs II or galaxy nexus or some HTC devices or moto droid razr...
24. DetroitTech (Posts: 55; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
You're way out of context now. That paragraph was relating super powered to running flash. And again an iPad2 and iPhone 4S are considered super powered when stacking them up to Flash requirements. Again I'm speaking about running Flash not comparing one device to another.
32. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
44. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
how sad that a "mid range" phone is kicking a** to the other "high end" phones in sales... that just looks bad for the makers of RAZR and the Nexus.... I see it as a win for Apple.... not a state of the art phone and sells more than the phone you are using.... imagine the damage Apple could do with a high end phone.... please sit down and imagine.....
45. Johnny_Mnemonic (Posts: 240; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Gallito I can only imagine how Apple going down , no jobs no Apple
79. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
@ Johnny_Mnemonic ........people has had the same wish as you since 2007, and for 3 years going on 4.. Apple is on the top 3 for most sucessful company.. in the world...
21. iShepherd (Posts: 38; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Are you talking about the iphone 6 ??!?! The iphone 4S we know and love has dual core running at 800 mhz and 1/2 gig of ram. That may be more than enough for iOS but it'll still struggle with flash.
35. PhoneLuver (Posts: 474; Member since: 05 Jul 2010)
Forget about flash! Flash is dead and the world is a better place because of it!
41. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1703; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
if flash is dead what plays my youtube videos...
52. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You realize YouTube works without flash right?
56. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol.. flash the most common web add on.. is dead??? wow.. thanks for that memo. someone should have told me that before i was watching stutter free flash videos on my phone today..
but of course you wouldnt know how great that is.. with your iphone n all. lol