Apple Store in Georgia refuses to sell Apple iPhone and Apple iPad to customer speaking Farsi
0. phoneArena 19 Jun 2012, 23:02 posted on
Citing company policy, a 19 year woman in Alpharetta, Georgia was not allowed to buy an Apple iPhone and Apple iPad from a Georgia based Apple Store after she was heard speaking Farsi to her Uncle; the woman was told that bad relations between the U.S. and Iran prevented the store from selling her the devices...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. irvinkeith (Posts: 57; Member since: 27 Jan 2010)
Wow Apple.....Wow.....as much as I'm a fanboy I couldn't begin to defend this crap.
9. biophone (Posts: 1963; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Ok I don't think this is the policy of apple but that guy is just an idiot. I would wait on this story before rushing to judgement.
45. irvinkeith (Posts: 57; Member since: 27 Jan 2010)
True. Now that i think about it, if this really was the policy I'm pretty sure we would've heard about many more incidents than just this one.
48. Birds (Posts: 1160; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I hate that Georgia had to have the apple store that did this...Now I want to move. lol And you have to think....This really sucks!!! Like 80% of my friends are from the middle east...
71. 14545 (Posts: 1598; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Well, it hates you too. I hate to break it to you, but not everyone in the state is this way.
2. bvalde09 (Posts: 181; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
WTF This is so wrong I dont know where to start. It should be simple. As a consumer I have the money I.could buy whatever I want. This is so f***k up
60. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
seems like they don't want any money from these people.this is very sad.
3. Whateverman (Posts: 3269; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Umm, wow! I think we can all agree that this is wrong. Not having a presence within Iran is one thing, but not selling to someone from Iran while in the U.S. just seems to be a bad idea no matter what. The rep should have just saved Apple the bad PR and pretended he didn't hear a thing. No one would have known.
22. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Please tell me you don't think this is actually Apple's policy.
29. Whateverman (Posts: 3269; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I honestly have no idea if this is their policy, but I'm not blaming Apple for this. I'm saying this could have been avoided if the rep hadn't discriminated against a POSSIBLE American citizen just because they speak Farsi.
I was basically saying what biophone said in post #9. Am I NEVER allowed to NOT think Apple is evil because I also like Android?
61. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
MAN PLEASE SHUT UP. if you were IRANIAN or any part of the middle eastern countries they would NOT SELL U ONE also
65. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
I was directing to taco. Not u Whateverman.
66. Whateverman (Posts: 3269; Member since: 17 May 2009)
My crushed feelings have been restored. TY
68. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
according to apples website it is there policy. no were does it say " exception to rule if iran person is in america its ok." I dont agree with either but what stops people from iran coming here buying them all then bringin them there. we might as well just ship it there for them. thats what embargo means
36. GENARAL-LEVY (banned) (Posts: 34; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Sh??p refusing to sell to another sh??p.
4. silver0681 (Posts: 18; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
Ok first this was not apple but a racist employee using a legit policy as an excuse to not sell to a customer he/she didn't like. Second the policy that the consumerist is asking apple to change is actual US law the stupid racist associate just twisted the wording to benefit the argument.
10. biophone (Posts: 1963; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Yep everyone should read your comment its on point. +1
72. 14545 (Posts: 1598; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Do you know this person directly? If you don't, then you don't know if they are "racist" or not. Just like when people jumped to conclusions about whether Gates was arrested over "racism" or not. How about we let the whole story come about before jumping to conclusions.
5. buccob (Posts: 2572; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I bet she will be getting an Android now...
12. matrix_neo (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Yeah for sure, that green robot is not racist nor terrorist, he wants to be a friend for everyone. That's why millions of people love him.
This is another bad image for apple. It should be reasonable some times. Their policy should be applied to their supplier or distributor that directly selling their products to those countries mentioned. I'm sure if they have employees of Iranian origin, they will feel embarrassed how bad apple is.
6. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
this is more just a stupid employee than a fault in policy… i mean, if he cant see the difference between apples policy of not selling products to US-embargoed countries and people in the united states who have a heritage from said countries, than there is a serious problem… something just seems off when the policy says to foreign countries, yet we are in the USA…
7. Roomaku (Posts: 278; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
Perfect Product Idea! Have employees use the new iRacial, a revolutionary racial profiling app, that allows you to categorize people by accent, skin shade! The you can check to make sure they're okay to buy an iPhone, otherwise you can point them in the nearest Walmart where they can pick up a prepaid Android Phone. The fun doesn't stop with new feature in iOS version six! Now you can use passbook to give them instant tickets back to cuba, Iran etc. And don't forget the new iSiren that sounds when your camera detects a non-African American or Caucasian within a yard of Apple stores which immediately shews them away!
30. paulyyd (Posts: 338; Member since: 08 Jan 2011)
bro that was so funny, you get like 4 high fives man! good going!!!
42. Roomaku (Posts: 278; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
I can tell you were the thumbs down. It was just a joke "bro" you need to lighten up.