Apple Store in Georgia refuses to sell Apple iPhone and Apple iPad to customer speaking Farsi
0. phoneArena 19 Jun 2012, 23:02 posted on
Citing company policy, a 19 year woman in Alpharetta, Georgia was not allowed to buy an Apple iPhone and Apple iPad from a Georgia based Apple Store after she was heard speaking Farsi to her Uncle; the woman was told that bad relations between the U.S. and Iran prevented the store from selling her the devices...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. irvinkeith (Posts: 56; Member since: 27 Jan 2010)
Wow Apple.....Wow.....as much as I'm a fanboy I couldn't begin to defend this crap.
9. biophone (Posts: 1923; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Ok I don't think this is the policy of apple but that guy is just an idiot. I would wait on this story before rushing to judgement.
45. irvinkeith (Posts: 56; Member since: 27 Jan 2010)
True. Now that i think about it, if this really was the policy I'm pretty sure we would've heard about many more incidents than just this one.
48. Birds (Posts: 1154; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I hate that Georgia had to have the apple store that did this...Now I want to move. lol And you have to think....This really sucks!!! Like 80% of my friends are from the middle east...
71. 14545 (Posts: 1463; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Well, it hates you too. I hate to break it to you, but not everyone in the state is this way.
2. bvalde09 (Posts: 181; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
WTF This is so wrong I dont know where to start. It should be simple. As a consumer I have the money I.could buy whatever I want. This is so f***k up
60. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
seems like they don't want any money from these people.this is very sad.
3. Whateverman (Posts: 3251; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Umm, wow! I think we can all agree that this is wrong. Not having a presence within Iran is one thing, but not selling to someone from Iran while in the U.S. just seems to be a bad idea no matter what. The rep should have just saved Apple the bad PR and pretended he didn't hear a thing. No one would have known.
22. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Please tell me you don't think this is actually Apple's policy.
29. Whateverman (Posts: 3251; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I honestly have no idea if this is their policy, but I'm not blaming Apple for this. I'm saying this could have been avoided if the rep hadn't discriminated against a POSSIBLE American citizen just because they speak Farsi.
I was basically saying what biophone said in post #9. Am I NEVER allowed to NOT think Apple is evil because I also like Android?
61. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
MAN PLEASE SHUT UP. if you were IRANIAN or any part of the middle eastern countries they would NOT SELL U ONE also
65. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
I was directing to taco. Not u Whateverman.
66. Whateverman (Posts: 3251; Member since: 17 May 2009)
My crushed feelings have been restored. TY
68. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
according to apples website it is there policy. no were does it say " exception to rule if iran person is in america its ok." I dont agree with either but what stops people from iran coming here buying them all then bringin them there. we might as well just ship it there for them. thats what embargo means
36. GENARAL-LEVY (banned) (Posts: 34; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Sh??p refusing to sell to another sh??p.
4. silver0681 (Posts: 18; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
Ok first this was not apple but a racist employee using a legit policy as an excuse to not sell to a customer he/she didn't like. Second the policy that the consumerist is asking apple to change is actual US law the stupid racist associate just twisted the wording to benefit the argument.
10. biophone (Posts: 1923; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Yep everyone should read your comment its on point. +1
72. 14545 (Posts: 1463; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Do you know this person directly? If you don't, then you don't know if they are "racist" or not. Just like when people jumped to conclusions about whether Gates was arrested over "racism" or not. How about we let the whole story come about before jumping to conclusions.
5. buccob (Posts: 2518; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I bet she will be getting an Android now...
12. matrix_neo (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Yeah for sure, that green robot is not racist nor terrorist, he wants to be a friend for everyone. That's why millions of people love him.
This is another bad image for apple. It should be reasonable some times. Their policy should be applied to their supplier or distributor that directly selling their products to those countries mentioned. I'm sure if they have employees of Iranian origin, they will feel embarrassed how bad apple is.
6. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
this is more just a stupid employee than a fault in policy… i mean, if he cant see the difference between apples policy of not selling products to US-embargoed countries and people in the united states who have a heritage from said countries, than there is a serious problem… something just seems off when the policy says to foreign countries, yet we are in the USA…
7. Roomaku (Posts: 278; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
Perfect Product Idea! Have employees use the new iRacial, a revolutionary racial profiling app, that allows you to categorize people by accent, skin shade! The you can check to make sure they're okay to buy an iPhone, otherwise you can point them in the nearest Walmart where they can pick up a prepaid Android Phone. The fun doesn't stop with new feature in iOS version six! Now you can use passbook to give them instant tickets back to cuba, Iran etc. And don't forget the new iSiren that sounds when your camera detects a non-African American or Caucasian within a yard of Apple stores which immediately shews them away!
30. paulyyd (Posts: 338; Member since: 08 Jan 2011)
bro that was so funny, you get like 4 high fives man! good going!!!
42. Roomaku (Posts: 278; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
I can tell you were the thumbs down. It was just a joke "bro" you need to lighten up.
8. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Meh. Does anyone responding know for sure that the iPhone and/or the iPad weren't going to end up in Iran? If the products ended up in Iran, the employee could be held criminally liable as an accessory to violation of the export control act. It is no secret that grey market iPhones and iPads have made their way to China right after the products start to ship in the U.S.. The difference between China and Iran as regards iPhones and iPads is that China is not on the list of embargoed countries.
14. kajomaj (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Lmao, you're an idiot.
1) You could be American, or from any other country, and buy an iPhone or iPad and then sell it to people in Iran, China, or North Korea. If that girl was planning to do something like that and it was illegal, do you think they would actually speak Farsi in front of the Associate and say they're from Iran? Let's be a little smart here.
2) Most people from Iran that live here are here for a reason, like they can't be in Iran, or don't want to be in Iran. How would those people end up getting a product into Iran to sell? And really, selling ONE product? How much profit do you think you're going to make buying Apple products at the price they are here and then selling them in Iran... their economy is crap, it's not like the people there are living the life right now and buying all kinds of brand new technology.
51. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
you can sell a pair of levi jeans for quite a bit of cash in the middle east.
39. s.mrabet (Posts: 124; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
you are very dumb my friend!!!!! thats all i can say
13. jubbing (Posts: 150; Member since: 20 Aug 2008)
Get your crap together Apple, and fire that Employee for being stupid. It's like if someone spoke Arabic as well, because Syria and Sudan (I think) speak Arabic there. So therefore, if the employee thinks you're from Syria/Sudan, then they can't sell you an Apple product.
Most rubbish thing I've ever heard. And yes, it most certainly is racial profiling.
15. babak7712 (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Hi there. I am from Iran. I love Apple products and use iPhone & iPad.
I dont care about our government policy either Iran or U.S .
I want to make a call from my iPhone and install apps from appstore for my daily life.
Iran & U.S political issues has no relation to me.
I am not responsible for the goverments and politicians.I am a citizen and human like you like every people that live in their own country.
This is not fair.
I hope that great Apple company change this wrong way.
16. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
All right, let's calm the f**k down here. The employee is a s**thead. But he's a human. Despite our joking, Apple employees are not (yet) automatons with iChips installed in their heads. I've worked for a few companies, all with policies banning racist behavior, but which still (unknowingly) employed racist employees. Hell, I once worked at a car dealership where one salesman openly used the N word and another said that if his daughter ever dated a black guy he'd get together with his older brother and torture said black guy to death. When I questioned him on this stupidity he stormed away, declaring "No wonder the other guys hate you."
So, if the guy doesn't go through any disciplinary action whatsoever, fine, rip into Apple. But for now, let's keep the blame where it belongs: squarely on the idiot who opened his mouth.
17. skymitch89 (Posts: 1291; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
That's just crap. They're not in Iran so that policy doesn't count. I could see if she wanted it shipped to Iran, but not when she wants to buy it and use it here in the US. I'm starting to like Apple less and less because of their business practices.
69. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
how do you know she didnt want to ship it there or that she lives there and is just visiting here. Maybe thats what they were talking about on the phone call. For all we know she was atempting to buy one to see if she can and if she got one she wouldve got more.
18. tremzee (Posts: 10; Member since: 21 May 2012)
I dont know why people are buying apple products after reading this story people should know how the apple policesies are .shame on you apple shame on you i wil never ever buy anything says made by apple .
F---k off apple and go for andriod
46. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
shaking my head at your comment... this is not any fault on Apple...
and apple or anyone in here can care less about what product you buy...
you can clearly see by reading the story that this employee twisted the policy to be racist towards the customer...
OPEN YOUR EYES AND UNDERSTANDING...
19. valapsp (Posts: 557; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
Countries relations shouldn't affect the people. Both Iranians and Americans love each other, This is not true just about the governments.
20. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Glad to see some reasonable comments. Obviously this isn't Apple's policy and it's just a dumb employee.
23. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Although if Apple doesn't at least suspend the employee, it'll raise some interesting questions...
24. bvalde09 (Posts: 181; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I expect that the Manager from the Store will do something about this. I will raise hell if something like this happen to me. This is just racism and they guy should be sue
37. GENARAL-LEVY (banned) (Posts: 34; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
1 customer was saved from being brainwashed and doomed
into Apple's world.... perhaps.
33. wendygarett (unregistered)
Of course is Apple fault... Main reason they dont sell is because they cant get commision and bonus from apple... eventhough apple is the richest company in the world... are you trying to say that foxconn's suicide case is totally employee fault too? Taco you must be a rich man that never understand the feelings as a labour :(
38. GENARAL-LEVY (banned) (Posts: 34; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
With 3 green. And feeling happy!
21. android_hitman (unregistered)
just keep buying apple products .. you will see .. in 10 years it will them (apple) who will decide if you are worthy to buy a phone from them ...
25. RADIOME (Posts: 3; Member since: 17 May 2012)
I couldn't believe this was real when first reading it. Just in disbelief. How extremely presumptuous this associate's actions. A customer is in the United States and attempts to make a purchase for them to do whatever they choose to do with it. They could use it, gift it, even post YouTube videos of them destroying it while cursing Apple. It's their business, concern, and responsibility. Even IF the customer somehow exported it into a blacklisted country, how could/should that be of any concern and/or liability to an Apple store associate, nonetheless Apple? The customer should be credited with a free device for this unjust treatment. (if they were interested anymore)
26. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Can't blame Apple, their policy is "not to sell products to countries where trade is forbidden by a U.S. embargo" and not "not to sell products to people from countries where trade is forbidden by a U.S. embargo". Those are different things and the interpretation of the employee is where it went wrong.
27. B3BLW29 (Posts: 238; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
This took Racism to whole new level... Forget fruit get Bot.
31. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
I wonder how many more NEO-Conservatives they have working at Apple. Maybe it's anti-Iran policy was written by d**k Cheney's protege, Paul Wolfowitz, and edited by John Bolton?
Seriously, looks more like some overzealous employee with a personal agenda.
32. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
Funny how this site automatically edits Cheney's first name to "d**k". Computers are so smart these days...too bad our US voter's haven't caught up...yet.
34. Mohamed_Abdulkareem (Posts: 45; Member since: 15 May 2012)
what a racism. what a shame. Steve Jobs himself was from a syrian origin. Apple must feel shame and apologize for the human being.
35. Mehdia (Posts: 23; Member since: 22 Apr 2012)
f**k aPPLE . MAN INO BE FARSI MINIVISAM ZENDE BAD aNDROID
41. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
just to play devils advocate.
the store has the right to refuse service to anyone..
thats all i got.
this employee is an idiot. he's not selling directly to iran or shipping to iran which would be illegal. he's selling to a person in his store. apple needs to stop calling their employees "geniuses" if they are this dumb.. seriously.