Apple Maps gets punked as phony street names appear on the application
0. phoneArena 19 Jan 2013, 19:31 posted on
As if Apple Maps needed any outside help for users to worry about how reliable the application is, someone either played a prank giving false names to roads on OpenStreetMap, a mapping service that can be edited by users which Apple uses in some areas of the globe to build out its mapping application; names like "Bad Monkey" and "Hillbilly Hameed" are shown to be the names of streets in Kabul...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. maxis3G (unregistered)
what a bad maps............
6. MeoCao (unregistered)
Apple uses crowd sourcing, but does it in stupid way.
Google is the master of crowd sourcing, They make game Ingress and allow players to discover all kinds of routes to all kinds of destinations. And PhotoSphere allows people to make StreetView photos and share with people through Apple Maps.
This is clear to see, 1 company is creative, the other is not.
34. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1059; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Apple has been punking people since the last two years at least so I guess this is in some small way...poetic justice!
45. Ruckus (Posts: 276; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Listen Google maps might not be flawed as much but they're pretty bad too at times. I live in Pa and it says the university of Kansas State is a mile from here and businesses that don't exist here are up the street -_-'
60. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's true yesterday here n Vegas google maps told me to go west on paradise rd, which goes north and south. Luckily I kinda had an idea of where I was headed. No google maps is not perfect, but it is the best mobile maps app at the moment.
2. blackice214 (Posts: 163; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Haha hill billy hameed, apple should just give up.
7. MeoCao (unregistered)
What if Taliban can edit Apple Maps?
23. Sniggly (Posts: 6481; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I don't know why, but the "apple should just give up" bit was f**king hilarious. It evokes the image of a kid who keeps tackling a task that's just beyond his capabilities, and fails, and just sighs, turns around, and goes home.
49. lolioslol (banned) (Posts: 182; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
I am more reminded of a line by the great Rip Torn in Dodgeball:
"It's like watching a bunch of retards try and hump a doorknob!"
27. -box- (Posts: 3565; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Apple is trying to be Rudy, but lacks the perseverance and fortitude to make it
71. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 807; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Apple Maps has been like Charlie Brown trying to kick a football.. Although I consider this a win for everyone including Apple cause freaking hilarious.
3. Droiddoes (unregistered)
LMFAO OH gawd apple please, just stop LOL this is just TOO FUNNY and it just keeps on getting funnier!
5. faisolbauuz (Posts: 121; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA*breath*HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA*breath* AND THEY WILL CALL THAT MAGICAL INNOVATION HAHAHAHAHA
20. FireDragon (Posts: 107; Member since: 13 Nov 2009)
It is Magical, you see, where else in the world you can find Bad Monkey street? ;)
26. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
LOOOL.....good one...i guess the only other way to reach bad monkey street would be to eat some mushrooms...
32. faisolbauuz (Posts: 121; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
Well apple should thank google for released their map app for ios if there no google map app for ios apple would be more screwed
52. FireDragon (Posts: 107; Member since: 13 Nov 2009)
I know I will sound crazy and mean but there shouldn't be any Map app for them until Apple beg Google to make it available for them, since Apple was one pulled it away and made big talks.
8. Kreft (Posts: 81; Member since: 27 Dec 2012)
Lol apple sucks. Worst company and products ever.
9. ChafedBanana (Posts: 352; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Does anyone really even care reading this? It's Afghanistan. Wtf?
21. fanboysrdumb (Posts: 26; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
american is not the only place on the globe you illeterate high school dropout moron.
its a country too good or bad, maybe your the result of a birth gone wrong from the monkey's anus.
33. lovefist (unregistered)
the world doesn't revolve around the US. only stupid americans think that way.
10. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
WTF Apple? I use my note 2 for maps, but apple needs to get this maps fiasco together or dump it, and re add el goog.
13. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Its weird, cuz turn bu turn works great on my iphone 5 but the rest of the mapping system including flyover is really really bad.
15. tedkord (Posts: 3914; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Turn by turn can only work great if it has the correct destination. It may work all the way, but what good is that if it takes you to the wrong place?
19. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
If I said android device I woulda got all green thumbs lol
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6621; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Because Google Maps is the best mapping system in the world along with Nokia Drive. :)
28. Sniggly (Posts: 6481; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Sadly you're probably right. The technical aspects of Apple Maps are good. The framework is there for what could shape up to be a pretty great mapping application. They just need to get themselves sorted on the accuracy side and flesh out their data on the world's roads and places.
It's tough to do, especially when they're coming into the game so late. Google has the advantage of years of data, and it'll be a long time before Apple is TRULY caught up to them in this regard.
41. tedkord (Posts: 3914; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
What Apple needs to do is start focusing on releasing finished software, and not focus on trying to screw google or other companies. They keep rushing out product just top flip the finger atty other businesses, and it winds up being crap.
The had a whole year left to work on their maps, but they had to rush out this half baked pos because they wanted to push google off their device.
Google focuses on innovation, Apple focuses on pettiness.
43. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Its better to leave Apple how they are and let them not innovate and leave there ios6 as same as io7,8,9 and there iP5 design should be the same as 5s,6, 6s, 7.....
62. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Ok Thanx for that utterly useless un informing post.
61. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Well said. Apple will get it nailed down, just a matter of time.
39. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Lol, now that's the troll we all know, and love/hate lol
40. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Now that's the troll we all know, and love/hate
47. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Now thats the troll we all know, and love/hate.
54. billybuttpounder (banned) (Posts: 105; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
"If I said android device I woulda got all green thumbs lol"
I bet if you weren't a known troll with terrible opinions, you would've gotten all green thumbs LOL
63. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
As I said before u r someone I choose to ignore, say what u will I couldn't care less. And this WILL b my last response to u ever. Good day sir.
73. T.R.O.L.L (banned) (Posts: 51; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Lfmao, Dark Jedi its Billy the buttpounder, o no not him again...!
16. BackHandLegend (Posts: 80; Member since: 15 Dec 2012)
I wonder who the thumbs down troll is. Probably wendy?
31. cripton805 (Posts: 907; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
I think its me, dressed as Wendy pretending to be Chaoticrazor.
46. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
aww mentioned me, no idea why though
you obsessed with me all of a sudden
ohh i rememeber in your tiny fanboy mind you think im a troll yet have failed to label me.......so heres your chance
66. cripton805 (Posts: 907; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Whine whine whine. Shesh.
Everyone is a fanboy except you.
48. darkkjedii (Posts: 9274; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I hardly think chaotic would b arbitrarily thumbing people down
59. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
ofcourse i dont but the ones actually thumbing people down are ''troll'' and other android fanboys so they deflect to others like me to put the blame on.........its pathetic
and there isnt one article on this site where android idiots havent took over and muppets like troll havent spread there bs. he is so stupid makes that apple troll look a genius.
unless you praise android you cant discuss on here, now wait for troll and one of his usual its ok to hate on others comment
67. cripton805 (Posts: 907; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
What Android fanboys? I just see you trolling like always. Nothing new.
68. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
well maybe open your eyes, if you claim you dont see android fanboys on this article all you say become invalid as it shows how one sided and biased you are
besides wanna see a android fanboy, just look in the mirror
57. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
She's limited, banned for a week!