Another Lumia 920 camera comparison in low light, this time against the iPhone 5
0. phoneArena 23 Sep 2012, 01:52 posted on
Taken at Photokina, a comparison picture was Tweeted by Kristina Björknäs, a physicist for Nokia...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
10. sarb009 (Posts: 293; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
I knew this even before the launch of iphone 5 that gs3 is better than iphone 5
30. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5907; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
The real challenge will be to conduct an apples-to-apples omparison between the iP5, GS III and the L920. May the best camera/handset combination win!
34. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8790; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I love my GS3, but I have to say, Nokia knocked it out of the ballpark with the new camera.
53. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5907; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Well, with the fake L920 pics and vids, I am waiting for an objective third party review. Nokia didn't exactly build their credibility, if you know what I mean.
54. -box- (Posts: 3853; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
They're already out. The fake stuff is old and forgotten except by anti-Nokia-ists
51. prakesh (Posts: 92; Member since: 13 Sep 2012)
samsung galaxy S III got 9.3
apple iphone 5 got 9.0
iphone 5 deserve 8.7-8.9 only.
57. -box- (Posts: 3853; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Max, king if the hill is, and will remain for some time, the Nokia 808 PureView. The 920 is great, and does some amazing tricks, and excepting OIS (which is arguably repeatable with a fancy mount) and low lighting software (and the hardware integration), the 808 is still king, then the 920, then the N8, then probably some Sony, and a few steps down the iPhail5
61. Palavius (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Apr 2012)
What is the "even gs3" in your post?
Do you know anything better than GS3?
2. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
If Lumia 920 has a great camera and why on Earth did they faked the samples at its launch. That is very immature for them to fake photo sample. Faking photo samples is Engadget's job and Engadget will sue them for this stunt.
5. sam_tek (Posts: 89; Member since: 18 Feb 2011)
lol about engadget!
but I don't think they were really trying to fake, or at least not intentionally i hope - just bad press approach!
c'mon seriously, aren't the other photo samples proof enough?
8. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
I am eager to see the real uploaded images and the wait is killing me. All samples are done on the Lumia's display and I wish I could see it on my monitor.
28. satanrules (Posts: 19; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
I doubt Nokia would take such a huge risk faking comparison photo's, people are going to get their hands on a 920 sooner or later. Despite what happened before I find it hard to believe they'd do it again.
55. -box- (Posts: 3853; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
TheVerge.com. Go see for yourself. Also YouTube.
9. shadez10 (Posts: 403; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
indeed lumia 920 has a great camera... but i think the reason why they did it in their samples because the phone is still in prototype... and as you can see even its still in prototype and not yet in the final version it is already very capable of what nokia has done in the faked ads...
21. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Good point and moreover Windows Phone 8 isn't finished yet.
27. shadez10 (Posts: 403; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
im hoping windows 8 brings out the best in it... especially the very basic features which are not available on W 7.5M
42. Mozarrt (Posts: 295; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Windows Phone 8.0 is finished, (it has RTM status). MS just doesn't want to reveal what it can do yet.
4. sam_tek (Posts: 89; Member since: 18 Feb 2011)
"Of course, once the Lumia 920 is finally available, we are going to have to make a priority of conducting a dedicated camera comparison between all these flagship devices and report to you where the rubber meets the road"
- yeah, maybe for academic research purposes, and sure, I'll be interested to find out
But really, for all practical purposes, I think the comparison's can really stop - it gives an impression to the other folk that there still is some lingering doubt about who the winner could be.
but there really isn't any - Lumia you beauty!
7. Luuthian (Posts: 218; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
I don't think this is going to work... I give serious props to Nokia for the incredible camera tech they're stuffing into phones, but I doubt the majority of cellphone buyers out there will know this or even care. Sadly, most consumers are apparently driven by the look of the phone, and not the features of the phone :/. Apple has been proving that fact for many years.
13. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1161; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
"Sadly, most consumers are apparently driven by the look of the phone, and not the features of the phone"
answer : lumia 920 better design, best in features
17. iced_heroine (Posts: 28; Member since: 09 Sep 2012)
and from what i can see... the nokia lumia 920 made a fuss with its design...
yeah its the same with the n9, but hey, look at that beauty..
u think the iphone 5 can match that design?
i doubt it.. oh, actually, im quite sure of it... they wont!!
lumia 920 is the best design available right now...
with different colors to choose from and with TRUE INNOVATION...
unlike those iphones and galaxies..
htc 8s and 8x were cross breed of NXT and lumia...
32. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5490; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
On one hand I agree with you but on the other I disagree. 50/50 :)
37. Hemlocke (unregistered)
Apple has matched that design, since it was their design first. The Lumia line looks like it "borrows" heavily from the iPod Nano design language, which has been around a lot longer than the N8, N9, and Lumia line.
The 920 is a compelling device, but after two stints with Windows Phone (Focus and Lumia 900), their Marketplace just stinks. A good camera and wireless charging are not enough to resurrect a company.
40. iced_heroine (Posts: 28; Member since: 09 Sep 2012)
bitter are we mate? lol..
dont make it obvious...
if it did BORROW the design of the nano.. then how come apple still dont file charges againts nokia,,,
just admit it mate...
everyone here knows that IPHONE's design is CRAP... its been like almost 5 years now,,,
the only selling point of apple is its NAME!! THE BRAND... nothing more...
43. Hemlocke (unregistered)
Right, whatever helps you sleep at night.
They haven't sued them because they are different devices doing different things.
45. Jay_F (Posts: 236; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
The iPhone's design is crap? You'd definitely be in an overwhelming minority with that statement. Hell Samsung LOVED it.
31. snowgator (Posts: 3275; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
I am not even disagreeing with you. But, if Nokia wants to succeed, they need the best of nearly every world. Photo quality, call quality, screen quality, OS ability (WP8 better not disappoint or have a lot of glitches at launch), Nokia features, exclusives, ECT.
They have no room for error. The iPhone is so established they can re-release the 5 for the next three years and turn huge profits.
18. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3013; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I knew this comparison was coming sooner or later, it had to be done!
Boy, Nokia is really heading for Royalty!
And would you look at that baby! iPhone looks like a dwarf against the 920...
Apple's review is done...now i'm waiting for 920.
20. Awaragardiyan (Posts: 39; Member since: 17 May 2012)
36. rsiders (Posts: 284; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
Ha ha yeah. The revolutionary FIVE rows of icons.lol
56. -box- (Posts: 3853; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I've been calling it the iphone4Stretch since the announcement. Glad I'm not the only one
25. papss (unregistered)
I'm very impressed by the camera on this thing. Nokia can have my money as long as its 200.00 or lower. I won't pay more than that but will gladly buy for that amount
26. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Give me a break, PA..How can 920 be the new cameraphone king next to Nokia 808?!?
You guys are like low light performance is all there is to a photo.
35. rsiders (Posts: 284; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
Ok this is pretty fantastic but how many people are really going to be taking that many low light pictures? I want to see some pictures samples from great lighting and other normal conditions. They should show us both or otherwise people will forger it can take pictures under favorable circumstances. lol But really, I just want one.
44. Hemlocke (unregistered)
That's the thing that bothers me. They keep showing all of these low-light photos, which is mostly just a trick of keeping the aperture open longer (Look at the added noise in the 920 low light photos). Where are all of the other picture types? What is Nokia afraid of? We all know that PureView is now just a marketing term, like Retina Display, so why focus on one category so much? I think that their shooter is going to be pretty average, overall, like the Lumia 900 was.
59. -box- (Posts: 3853; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Look up some of the video comparisons on YouTube and on the Verge. The low-light shots are featured because of their novelty, as are the OIS shots. My favorite are the R/C car videos and the one where the guy is vigorously SHAKING THE CAMERA while shooting, while the phone camera remains stable.
Can't touch this.
60. -box- (Posts: 3853; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Look on Flickr and other photo sites (even Facebook). Many shots are done at night, inside (clubs, restaurants, bars), or under adverse conditions: I don't know of anyone that uses a cell camera under studio conditions except to set up a shot.
62. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
even though iPhone wants to mimic nokia's pureview tech... but they still havce a lot to learn!!
hahha! lumia is really the best!!
and there's some rumors from hongkong that the phone is price $512 only! coz its around 3999 HK$.. thats pretty amazing!
63. aoikemono27 (Posts: 177; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
The only people that will be swayed by a photo taken by a Nokia employee are Nokia fanboys who need to be fed periodically. Rational people would rely on an aggregate of third-party images or even personal experience.
64. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5907; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Abso-f*cking-lutely right! If you say anything that remotely questions the Nokia phone, the Nokia fans down vote you. As you said: "Rational people would rely on an aggregate of third-party images or even personal experience."
65. vvelez5 (Posts: 623; Member since: 29 Jan 2011)
Just look at the size difference between the two. The Lumia 920 dwarfs the iPhone5 and the Camera puts the iPhone to shame (in the camera department.)
66. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5907; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Except the iP5 is available for sale now and the L920 is available some point in the future.
67. vvelez5 (Posts: 623; Member since: 29 Jan 2011)
What does that have to do with size and camera comparisons?
69. lubba (Posts: 1311; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
There's alot out there that's better than the iPhone. They all just can't beat its build quality and design. Cheap plastic needs to go.
71. baldilocks (Posts: 540; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
Windows Phone. The Most Boring OS yet. Of All Time.
72. Yassham (Posts: 28; Member since: 09 Jan 2011)
The video does not show any iPhone 5 , it's the iPhone 4S you dumb asses ! You can clearl see the video date , it's before the annoucement of the iPhone 5 !!!
73. Topcat488 (Posts: 1169; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
That so-called auto focus, to me, means "auto cheating". Anyway, enough with the comparisons, just release the damn phone!!! My girlfriend is getting this Lumia 920; me i'm still riding the original note and the iphone4. Waiting for the Note 3. Skipping ip5 and note II this time around. x/