Andy Rubin steps down, Sundar Pichai steps up as head of Android
2. xperiaDROID posted on 13 Mar 2013, 13:00 4 12
Why Rubin why? I don't think Pichai can handle Android, only Rubin can.
7. jcarrigan posted on 13 Mar 2013, 13:08 2 7
rubin is god! lol jk seriously hes better suited at the head of android!
29. jcarrigan posted on 15 Mar 2013, 18:00 0 0
Im sorry how they hell do you pronounce his name anyways(sundar pichachu?). Its just weird picturing android without Rubin thats all lol. by the way i loved that "sergei is god" lol :)
12. Droid_X_Doug posted on 13 Mar 2013, 13:43 0 0
Rubin may have some problems regarding Android and IP that got migrated to Android before it moved to Google. If so, that could pose some significant problems going forward. Absolute worst case, Android gets replaced with Chrome, if Chrome was a complete white-room (built in complete isolation from the Android team) effort.
6. TheLolGuy posted on 13 Mar 2013, 13:06 2 1
I like Sundar Pichai, so it's interesting to see what'll happen next.
People have criticized Google for having Chrome OS and Android and it's vastly different ideas moving forward with it's supposed incompatibility etc.
With a new generation of Chromebooks with better hardware on the horizon and Key Lime Pie supposed to have more focused improvements on tablets, I think speculation that the two converging could be right. I'm excited to see their 'moonshot' with Android + Chrome's evolution -- if it ends up that way.
8. Adithya7184 posted on 13 Mar 2013, 13:11 8 4
Sundar Pichai....that's great....now Indian rules android...Hell Yeah...
11. TheLibertine posted on 13 Mar 2013, 13:38 1 3
Good work, but... Why? He couldn't possibly find a better-paid, more interesting job.
14. MichaelHeller posted on 13 Mar 2013, 14:23 1 0
Unless he really is moving into the X Lab. I'd argue that would be more interesting than running Android.
13. ilia1986 posted on 13 Mar 2013, 13:45 3 0
It is time for Android to evolve. Yes, it IS the most advanced mobile operating system right now, but I think the word "mobile" needs to go. With Ubuntu 4-screen OS breathing hard on Android in terms of cross-platform compatibility - Android has to become the DE-FACTO most advanced operating system.
Yes, that means that Android needs to be a DESKTOP-CLASS OS. Only when Android will have conquered the desktop and offered the same level of productivity that Windows 7 offers today - and much much much more than that, it being OPEN SOURCE and all - will Android TRULY dominate the world and become the standard OS for everything.
Great times are ahead of us, my fellow friends. The Evolution of Android and the complete downfall and termination of Apple and other similarly closed platforms.
The future is open. The future is free.
15. biophone posted on 13 Mar 2013, 14:37 0 0
Calm down you sound like a cult leader. Android is great and all but its not everything.
18. biophone posted on 13 Mar 2013, 15:03 0 0
How is a mobile os going to stop dictators to make the future free?
21. ilia1986 posted on 13 Mar 2013, 15:56 0 0
I was obviously talking about the consumer electronics industry.
23. darkkjedii posted on 13 Mar 2013, 16:26 0 0
Where do you think it can go anytime soon, without major hardware advances? Real question man...
28. ilia1986 posted on 14 Mar 2013, 14:55 0 0
You already got the hardware - courtesy of Tegra 4, Snapdragon 800 and the Exynos Octa.
Hell, even a 600Mhz 256MB of ram OG Droid can hook up to an external display, and be controlled with a mouse and a keyboard. What needs to adapt is the software.
16. biophone posted on 13 Mar 2013, 14:38 0 0
I wouldn't expect to many changes to android's outlook.
19. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 13 Mar 2013, 15:25 1 0
Duarte also has an important role in Android so it's still going to improve over time.
26. henrickrw posted on 13 Mar 2013, 20:16 2 1
Indians are smart when properly educated. Everyone deserves opportunities dogs.
27. rajagopalan.k posted on 14 Mar 2013, 04:44 0 0
Sundar Pichai is from tamil nadu!!!!! I am so proud!!!!