Android's Google Play beats App Store with over 1 million apps, now officially largest
0. phoneArena 24 Jul 2013, 11:49 posted on
Android's Google Play store has just officially reached over 1 million apps and it is now finally outgrown the Apple App Store and its 900 000 applications. That's a huge achievement for Android...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. apple4never (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 May 2013)
YESSSSSSSSSSS Congratulations Android !!
34. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 11255; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I think that number is pretty bloated for many reasons.
58. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Yes...the number of apple apps is very bloated.
70. jroc74 (Posts: 5986; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I agree, but the point is Android has survived the ALL the negative myths, slander, false hoods, ect, ect and so on. And it launched at the bottom, dead last vs everyone else.
Android wasnt supposed to survive past 2010....its now 2013, the year is half over and Android doesnt look to be slowing down anytime soon. You now the rest as far as market share and popularity...
82. Dj_Yawar (Posts: 43; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Android will not die until stock android is available (always be available ofcourse) . I love the smoothness of stock JB 4.2.2 on my gt 9300. It all i want... Smooth and lasg free
43. moroninc (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
also keep in mind, its the same developers who build iOS apps that build Android apps so there's no 'We are better' its just Android Playstore apparently pays more money for apps.
64. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
I just looked a majority of the apps on my Android phone was on IOS except like 15 indie games, some random stuff and security apps and then system/benchmark apps.
Most of the apps I consider a requriment are on both.
2. darkvadervip (Posts: 365; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
And how many of those apps are just junk or full of ads that offer you to spend money to get rid of the commercial ads. I can say on my htc one so far no force closes. That's an improvement alone.
6. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Oh dear there is always going to be haters...
13. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
......and multiple fake accounts
30. tedkord (Posts: 10231; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Probably the same ratio as in the App Store.
57. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
So your telling me there are no junk apps in the App Store? My son got an iPad mini for his bday and I see the same top shelve apps as well as junk apps on both platforms...plus the App Store is not near as easy to find certain types of apps like it is on Android. It seems the dev must pay Apple to be on the any of the "featured" lists, which only list like 15-20 apps for that category. I have yet to figure out how to "view all" as they do not make it easy for some reason. Might be part of the reason The Play Store now has more to pick from. It does the dev no good if no one can find their app to download it.
3. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Meanwhile At BlackBerry....
25. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Meanwhile at Apple
Meanwhile at firefox
4. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Yayyayayayayay......the champion will always come through in the end....mark this day in history! :D
7. apple4never (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 May 2013)
bro its 1 billion apps, not the end of world hunger still sweet just not a mark it in your calender material dont ya think ?
10. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Billion? I think you mean a million!
23. apple4never (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 May 2013)
oh ya my bad lol next race is to a billion, lol all hail windows phone and the allmighty app lords
9. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
whats left for apple to brag as no.1
62. MartyK (Posts: 777; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
Uh, they are the first to sue for BS patents...lol
11. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Bravo Google! Bravo Android! Soon, Windows Phone Marketplace will beat the App Store as well.
22. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Sure! Why not? Windows Phone will succeed anyways, till the time comes, someone's butt will be hurt. :P
18. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
i might disagree with you about this.
marketplace has no themes,malwares,trash etc...
so it never can beat store
46. tech2 (Posts: 3349; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
and I'll agree with you on this one.
no Themes - Well, all u can do is select few flippin colours in the name of 'theme' in Windows so no prospect there
no Malwares - Its only a testament that the wide community android has i.e. no one even cares to waste their time by creating a Windows malware. This is the same reason why Windows desktop have viruses.
Now I'll tell you the real reason. Its because android is CUSTOMIZABLE thats why you gets apps for widgets, 'actual' themes, third party keyboard & other browsers and mail clients, ROMs, Notifications, etc. and mostly because developers see 50 billion downloads for 1 billion apps !
51. feres13 (Posts: 306; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Doubt it will happen, i think that the app store and google play will still be ahead for the next 5 years atleast, they already have more than 6x the number of apps, it would take all this time for WP to catch up while both the play store and the app store will keep on improving
56. master0fursinz (Posts: 104; Member since: 26 Apr 2010)
Windows can make a hard push by porting over all xbox games even the crappy ones. while making deals to have an inhouse development support to help developers & companies develop there own apps for windows.
73. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I don't see anything from Microsoft or Nokia to push them over the top in the foreseeable future. HTC and Samsung basically gave up, Windows RT is a failure, no new hardware to get excited about unless you value pictures over everything.
Just look at what Google has done today. That $35 dongle is more exciting than the Nokia 1020. And lets not forget about the Nexus 7 rev 2. That's how you upgrade a device from the previous gen; you don't just add a camera and forget about everything else.
19. SakuroAkino (banned) (Posts: 141; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
windows phone market place :D
contract killer 1
ae fruit slash
funny jump :D
rabbids go phone :D
lol lol lol
36. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
so you have decided to take 1 week off :p
40. SakuroAkino (banned) (Posts: 141; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
this game is much better
42. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yeah, trolls love to whine like a baby.
44. SakuroAkino (banned) (Posts: 141; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
so.nice that you already confessed this
you seem to be a good time pass
lets start with nokia
lol lol lol
29. Tazer2365 (Posts: 52; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
Those 1 million apps are a joke, some are crap. Why doesn't phone arena mention how Apple has 375,000 apps optimized for their iPads when Google is barely catching up with around 100?
32. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
LOL....baaaaa go graze with the rest of the flock retard!
33. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
yes.tell them dude.
tablet is next BIG thing
39. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4273; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Oh, would you look at that...
41. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
There's probably a huge ratio of apps in Google Play that are never downloaded as well, but at the same time there are a lot of smaller developers producing better quality content with (sometimes) less greed on Play.
61. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Not really, android apps work for both phone and tablet..no separate apps for each like with Apple.
71. jroc74 (Posts: 5986; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
"Why doesn't phone arena mention how Apple has 375,000 apps optimized for their iPads when Google is barely catching up with around 100?"
They dont have to mention it. Android apps can scale based on screen size, resolution. That means an app can show up differently for phones and tablets. 1 app, 2 different looks n feel.
Meanwhile back at the Apple camp they have to build apps separately for tablets. Maybe that has changed....dont really know. And ppl claim Android and Google isnt innovative...
Your post is an example of mis information, FUD, myths....