Android turns 5 and what a ride it has been so far
0. phoneArena 05 Nov 2012, 21:18 posted on
Five years ago today, the Open Handset Alliance introduced Android seeking to give the public innovation and offer customers a better experience than what was then available; with 1.3 million Android devices activated daily, the platform has come a long way...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Izzy_V (Posts: 216; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Android is the future. Resistance is futile. ;P
5. dickwyn (Posts: 543; Member since: 07 May 2012)
nobody can predict the future, anything can happen
8. iWorld (Posts: 84; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
anything lol iOS can never be an open source OS
57. joey_sfb (Posts: 1859; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Windows is propertiery but still have its security issues in the past and still do today.
Linux and other open source are still consider safer and were used in many countries securities agency.
Don't known why one would prefer one over the other but one's own bias.
35. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
like i said before being an open has its pros and cons-- pros is that you are free, cons is that you'll have risk!
while the close source iOS/WP has pros and cons too!-- pros you are secured! cons not all the time will be happy...but atleast you are happy!
but what is good is that being a close source and have some open source component! and yes BlackBerry 10 has that! you'll get the best of both world!
44. JunkCreek (Posts: 379; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
NO, closed mean, fewer user BUT NOT TOTALY SECURE! FEWER USER means FEWER INFORMATION means FEWER TO STEAL IF IT NOT NOTHING TO STEAL, so: it is NO PAIN - NO GAIN: NO USER - NO HACKER - NO FVCK3D UP - WASTED TIME, ENERGY AND EFFORT FOR ALMOST NOTHING.
While OPEN means MORE USER: MEANS MORE INFORMATION, MEANS MORE TO STEAL: so IT IS A PAIN BUT IT IS ALSO A GAIN!
iOS STILL secured because it is only on US and may be with almost no information hacker wants to steal, except for buy free apps, remember the article you can buy something free on appstore, it is a proof, if some hacker/cracker want to fvck3d iOS up, IT IS ALSO VULNERABLE, so do MAC, now Apple didn't say DO NOTHING FOR SECURITY for MAC OS again.
So, the more popular the OS you use, the more attack and it means the more threads and more vulnerable because of the variations of the attacks revealed more glitch to be exposed even it intentionally or by pure accidentally.
48. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
read about android security here at phonearena!
sandboxing, new security in 4.2
bouncer and google play
hint: it is as secure as ios or more when you use gplay
don't want risk? don't use 3rd party appstores
53. lyndon420 (Posts: 1448; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
You need to do some research on sandboxing.
36. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
totally agree! future and destiny is a funny thing.. you need to play it right to find it!
59. JunkCreek (Posts: 379; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
life is JOURNEY, NOT A DESTINATION!
60. JunkCreek (Posts: 379; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Life is JOURNEY, NOT A DESTINATION.
Android is JOURNEY
Ap(pl)e was JUST A DESTINATION and it even just gone wrong...
10. zackh121556 (Posts: 98; Member since: 01 Feb 2012)
Apple stock??? Sell sell sell.....Android for life!
26. Jelly_Bean (Posts: 109; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Happy Birthday to the most advanced mobile OS ever in history.
Way to go "Google" carry on the good work guys.
29. MeoCao (unregistered)
Thank you Andy Rubin, Larry & Sergey, Hugo and Martias and all Google staff.
Thank you SS, HTC, Motorola, LG Sony ...
And thank you Steve Balmer and Stephen Elop and Nokia for the burning platform suicide of Symbian and MeeGo
Thank you Steve Jobs and Apple for the thermonuclear war that you ended up the losing side
Android happy birthday!!!
2. tiara6918 (Posts: 1199; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Happy Birthday to the most advanced mobile operating system!
27. Lawliet (Posts: 160; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Yeah, I've heard of it, I've used it as well, I used to be an apple fanboy.
3. mydi.maus (unregistered)
happy birthday android!!sorry no barbie doll..
4. quakan (Posts: 1064; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
I hear many Android fans took the day off work for this.
7. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
I remember when Steve Jobs said that the original iPhone was at least 5 years ahead of other smartphones. Unfortunately it was surpassed in 2009. Now its been 5 years. Clearly he didn't foresee how popular Android would be.
13. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
mworstall/2012/08/19/apples-iphone-is-now-worth-more-than-all-of-microsoft/This shows just how successful iPhone has been. Just because you don't like it that doesn't mean it sucks.
19. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
This is funny. Now where have I talked about Apple's worth and how much money they have? Why do iFans ALWAYS have to boast that their company is rich? How will that benefit you?
And of course it is popular. But we are talking about software (Android and iOS) and you are mentioning hardware. Does Apple get 1.3 million activations of iPhone per day?
41. vijaysivakula (Posts: 127; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
When would you realize they got all that money from people like you? They sell you something in a nice package and you spend all your money on that. You pay thro your nose because someone told you that rich people use iphone and you buy it because you want to tell yourself that you are rich.
25. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Happy birthday Android!! :D
33. D_Tech-tive (Posts: 104; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
Happy Birthday Android!!!
Droid Nexus Maxx? Come on Motorola What are you waiting for?
52. lyndon420 (Posts: 1448; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Been along for the ride since the HTC dream (G1).
54. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5462; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Yep its been a good 5yrs can't wait till next Summer what GOOGLE have in store for us.