Android still on track for 1 billion activations by end of 2013
0. phoneArena 13 Mar 2013, 15:14 posted on
Earlier today, Google CEO Larry Page announced that Andy Rubin would be stepping down as head of Android, and Chrome head Sundar Pichai would be taking over. But, Larry also gave some interesting stats on the state of the Android ecosystem, and based on the numbers he gave, it looks like Android is still on track to hit 1 billion activations by the end of 2013...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. wp8forever (unregistered)
Obviously selling 50 dollars crap everywhere including metro pcs and India ,china lol like that is easy
3. Aeires (unregistered)
Who cares. That many phones helps build the ecosystem so everyone using it benefits. Nokia was king of mobile phones for selling low cost handsets, didn't hear people whining about that.
5. wp8forever (unregistered)
Ecosystem lol pls you meant fragment system ,don't get me wrong i don't hate android a have a nexus 4 and a lumia 920 I just Mede a comment obviously apple won't reach those number when the iphone 5 start at $650 dollars .
11. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
You only like Nokia WP8, nice Trolling!
12. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
You are such a shallow, ignorant, cheap hating dimwit.
Typical for windows phone and Nokia fans.
The very reason why Apple is what it is, but also the reason why it will never be a marketshare leader is because it is a single brand and a closed system.
IAnd the very reason why Android is what it is, is because of its openness and versatility.
Oh and ecosystem?
When it comes to mobile - phones and tablets - windows is by far the most fragmented one. On top of being pitifully scarce with content.
You can run 750000 applications on a typical Android phone, tablet, tv, mini pc.
It is actually the BEST ecosystem, period.
16. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1178; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
you android fans think your the best because your precious sammy is on top even though they make the worst phones in the android eco system. WP is growing faster than android ever did and how is your eco system the best when the only one making profit is good old sammy and all the others who make better phones are left in the corner and lasty because you're totally gonna download 750,000 apps+ on your phone WP has 4/5 popular apps in other stores so it's growing
19. platformwars (Posts: 86; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Lets not make this a war of Android and WP8.. I have a GN4 and NL920.. and frankly.. i end up using by GN4 as the daily driver and the 920 is primarily for taking pictures.. (I won the NL920 in a reverse auction site for Rs. 2043 = USD 38)
I still think the WP platform is excellent but it looks old in my opinion.. They should have had something like what HTC has done with blinkfeed which involves alot of pictures..
20. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Oh surprise, another retarded answer.
Let me break it down:
- since WP 8 launch, Android grew from approximately 95 million unit shipments per quarter, to approx. 140M!
At the same time, Windows grew from 1.5M to 5M!
Can you do the math, lol?
- Google play grew from 600 000 apps, to about 750 000-800 000.
At the same time, WP market got from some 110 000, to 160 000.
Play store is still growing at much much faster rate than WP market.
- Samsung makes the overall best Android phones.
Countless reviews and awards prove this.
- LG, HTC, ZTE, HUAWEI all had profitable 2012. HTC actually earned about 400 million dollars.
Nokia had almost 3 BILLION dollars loss during the same period.
- Sony sold FIVE times more Xperias in 2012, than Nokia sold their Lumias.
- 750 000 applications means a vast selection to chose a better app from.
If there's a greater selection, it automatically means a greater probability for better stuff to be weeded out.
It's what competition brings, and apps are no exception
22. jroc74 (Posts: 5996; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
WP growing Garrett than Android? In 2 years Android was battling the iPhone for 1st place in market share.
Its been 2 years and 5 months since WP launched, where are they at again?
24. jroc74 (Posts: 5996; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Garrett?? Lmao!! That was supposed to say faster. Damn auto correct.....
4. JEverettnow (Posts: 226; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Are a bulk of android phones that are activated metro or cricket phones? Or are they major carrier android devices? How many of those are s3's or other flagships? At least android devices aren't elitist and are made for all types of incomes and countries. From developing nations to the most prominent. Thats definitely not a negative like the conotation of your comment suggests.
6. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Like Aeires said, Nokia also does that, then why are they still failing miserably?
Oh, butthurt haters everywhere these days. Smh..
10. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Now look at Apple selling iPad mini, going on the low and midrange now!
14. lyndon420 (Posts: 3996; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Seriously? Now I'm confused. His comment didn't mention apple in a positive light, and didn't mention apple's accomplishment in patenting a shape. Heck...he didn't even state apple's lack of innovation as innovative. You feeling ok Mxy?
21. jroc74 (Posts: 5996; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Ok, there are some WP that are free and cheap. If or when WP grows alot in market share, I will remember you posted this....
23. guruprasad (Posts: 33; Member since: 13 Jul 2011)
atleast many can now afford an android and enjoy many basic apps for 50$,for which u have to spend more than atleast 350$ for an ios or windows even for the basic apps like whatsapp,good browsers etc... so shut up n get lost...
2. Aeires (unregistered)
Lots of great tablets on the horizon to help the growth. Good things are happening to the little green robot.
8. drnggaj33 (Posts: 127; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
thats because ppl overseas all have google phones because they know you can set up more stuff on it plus gives you more options ...ppl overseas are tired of the iphones simple *high five for google* good job cant wait till 5.0 sw is out #bangbang apple go to sleep
9. drnggaj33 (Posts: 127; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
now with all these really good andriod phones coming out apple has to step up its ios or else it will be hitting 200 on its tock ez andriods htc,samsung,and straight google phone are amazing
13. lyndon420 (Posts: 3996; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Not surprised in the least. Android is awesome and versatile.