Android smartphone shipments to pass the one billion mark next year
The forecast does not stop there, as an analyst for IHS is quoted as saying, “The Androids are taking over the world of smartphones.” Annual growth rate is expected to continue at a double-digit percentage rate for the next few years, reaching a global penetration of three billion by 2016.
This is a boon for the brands that are known for selling Android devices by the truck-load, like Samsung, HTC, Sony and LG (plus Google’s own Motorola). It is also telling of just how big the challenge is for the competition in the face of such staggering growth.
1. wendygarett (limited) 4 days ago posted on 12 Sep 2012, 22:55 17 2
Of course!! Android is the best :D
3. tiara6918 posted on 12 Sep 2012, 23:09 6 1
I don't know which side you're really with, but I definitely agree that android is the best. That one billion mark will still continue to grow further...
7. wendygarett (limited) 4 days ago posted on 12 Sep 2012, 23:35 0 5
If you wanna know why... You have to differentiate between android and fandroid... I never say something bad to android but fandroid?
Ugh... Only you fandroid claim me bad :'(
14. ardent1 posted on 13 Sep 2012, 00:06 1 5
Android is cheap. $80 and you can walk out with an android device at Walmart. In mainland China, android devices cost a fraction of the $80 we pay in the US.
If you make cheap devices, people will buy them.
15. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 13 Sep 2012, 01:28 4 1
aaaaaaa try saying that about a galaxy s3 dude LOL that 80 dollar phone you speak of must be a galaxy s prevail or something LMAOOO
2. rusticguy posted on 12 Sep 2012, 22:59 8 3
Aaaah thanks for Fresh Air. Was all suffoctaed with Apple crap ...
5. mas11 posted on 12 Sep 2012, 23:25 4 1
Wow 1/7 people on Earth will own an Android phone. That's pretty crazy to think about.
10. JoeBelfiore (banned) posted on 12 Sep 2012, 23:54 0 11
... and 90% of people using Android were lagging, crashing, infected.
12. JoeBelfiore (banned) posted on 13 Sep 2012, 00:04 0 5
lol naysayer, don't nay just because you are experiencing that :( aww I feel sad for ya
13. pokharkarsaga posted on 13 Sep 2012, 00:04 0 6
Nos are impressive but one major work android has to do is digg deep the stock android & optimize.the android 4.1 is still not that snappy when compared to WP8.Year after Year android is just adding features but not paying attention to optimization.Linaro android is an example how much android can be improved..
16. darac posted on 13 Sep 2012, 02:07 4 1
THREE BILLION BY 2016!!
That will mean the best, by far largest ecosystem ever by default.
No developer will afford to stay out of it
17. shuaibhere posted on 13 Sep 2012, 02:29 0 1
Sure....android will grow....
but what about wp.....I want to what will happen to wp....
19. 23nikki1 posted on 13 Sep 2012, 05:47 2 0
Android will grab the smartphone market while Windows will grab the tablet market...Good Bye iworld...!!!
18. darac posted on 13 Sep 2012, 04:50 0 1
Well I'd say it depends on how much monopoly Nokia gets over it.
If it ends up as basically a Nokia trademark, my guess is it could reach up to 50 million yearly sales in 2013.
If it gets a wider manufacturer acceptance I think Microsoft could hope for up to 75-100 million but I don't see that happening.
20. JoeBelfiore (banned) posted on 13 Sep 2012, 06:08 0 1
I'd rather its a NOKIA trademark than Samsung spoiling the Windows Phone brand by flooding the market with cheap ass plastic phones.