Android-powered iPhone knockoff may sue Apple in China
0. phoneArena 04 Sep 2012, 11:30 posted on
This is one of the craziest stories around, but also one that is relatively interesting. We all know that China's smartphone market is rife with iPhone knockoffs, and it seems like one of them, the Goophone, is already threatening Apple with litigation, should Apple try to release the iPhone 5 in China...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. dcgore (Posts: 212; Member since: 24 Feb 2012)
It would be funny if this was sponsored by Samsung.
13. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
If suddenly one day due some strange reasons I will be forced to buy an iPhone, I would better buy this pseudo "iPhone" instead of original "iPhone". ;)
21. Captain_Doug (Posts: 940; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Tegra 3, ICS, not 3.5". Yeah, if forced, I'd go with ICS.
19. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
It would be funnier if this would be real and actually be victorious over apple. :))
25. kanagadeepan (Posts: 780; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
More funny, if that half-eaten rotten fruit company was asked to pay 1.01B USD to this company by Chinese courts...
27. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4693; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Dude is it me or is China like the Wild,Wild West of mobile phones? It's like anything goes there. lol
29. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1850; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Hell Yeah haha I think this story is funny. We will see how things go
42. jroc74 (Posts: 5586; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
This is just funny period.
For a company to have the balls to try to do this. I would expect them fail in epic proportions...but it would be a fun show to watch.
Unless they know something we dont....hmmmm.....
47. joey_sfb (Posts: 4420; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Some defunct company has manage to get 64 million from Apple for iPad China trademark.
In China, Apple is nothing. They copy apple to the last word including the lawsuit that Apple launched.
Apple is such a great educator!!! Sweet irony! :)
Btw if apple learn to play fair they will copy that as well.
43. imsickwithphone (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 17 May 2012)
Can they win in China?
Lol, I doubt it....
50. phljcnth (Posts: 447; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Hahaha I'm laughing like a bastard the whole time I'm reading the article. You go Goophone!
2. frydaexiii (Posts: 1407; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
lol, just lol.
Maybe Steve Jobs reincarnated in China and gave the blueprints of the iPhone 5 to Goophone's research team?
12. Ohrules (Posts: 326; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
no iphone in the next 3 years could have specs that awesome :D
15. frydaexiii (Posts: 1407; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
It's like everything that's wrong with the iPhone, they fixed it.
It's kinda sad that the knockoff has a better screen than the original (If the rumors are true and the iPhone 5 comes with a 6XXp screen).
40. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Oh good the company didn't say they will start a "Thermo nuclear war" else they woulde have been counter sued for saying that :D
Perhaps they learned one trick from Apple for improving sales ... be in medialight by hook or crook :)
6. frydaexiii (Posts: 1407; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Yeah, it's as powerful as the One X, if it were running vanilla Android, it would be even better.
5. MeoCao (unregistered)
Boy this is interesting. Apple taste their own medicine.
38. ph00ny (Posts: 783; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Exactly. Apple did the exact same in US with patents with prior art examples. Why can't this company do it in china?
7. ACCTDADDY (Posts: 12; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
wow Apple has been ripping off goophone bad apple!
8. RangersK (Posts: 64; Member since: 15 May 2012)
It would be an epic lawsuit ever! Go Goophone! :D
16. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 651; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Lol, this is funny
9. frydaexiii (Posts: 1407; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Btw, the whole "God machine" thing was just a direct mistranslation. If correctly translated, the word would simply mean "amazing" instead of "God Machine".
10. TediT (Posts: 39; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
This patent war is going too far! Its a stupid "war" started from Apple not being able to compete with ANDROID and loosing its market place!
I like the specs though :D Go China lol
11. Aeires (unregistered)
That would be hilarious if there really was enough R&D to back up a serious lawsuit. Somehow I just get the feeling it's all for advertisement though.
14. phitch (Posts: 214; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I think that the Goophone is simply trying to play hardball with Apple over the Samsung verdict. They have the home court advantage, the Chinese government can totally dictate the software on the Goophone, and they are the biggest mobile market in the world! Sorry Apple.
17. andro. (Posts: 1990; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Crazy seems to be a word following apple around these days,this story certainly is bizarre but maybe when most stories about apple consist of them trying to claim other manufacturers have blatantly copied them by making their phones 'black and rectangular' then its all seems to be the norm!
20. davidbrewer (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Mar 2012)
Took the words right outta my mouth.
Sorry about the "thumbs down" meant to hit "thumbs up"
22. JessJess (unregistered)
And good luck with that...
23. Lwazi_N (Posts: 205; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
Let's see after the CONFLENCE... LMAO *hides*
24. iops1000 (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
Reading this article makes me pissed. Not because of the apple stuff but because this might spec-wise be the best 4 inch device ever released, from a stupid copycat company. It has a tegra 3 with slim profile and 720p ips on a 4 inch? And uses actual metal parts? Aaaand costs 300 usd?
What are these useless leading companies doing, not everyone wants a giant 4.7 or painfully small 3.5 screen.
33. downphoenix (Posts: 2799; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Amen to this. Why does the best specs only have to be on 4.5+ inch displays on phones? Its kinda like in TVs, how some features, like 1080P, 120+hz, or 3D, are only available on 40+ In TVs. Some people dont have big enough rooms to comfortably have a 40in or bigger, but still want high res, 120+hz, and/or 3D. Most TVs under 40in dont have any of those features, or only 1 of them, none that I have seen around here have 2 or more.
26. ivanko34 (Posts: 617; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
their website is great !
28. Doakie (Posts: 1685; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Oh God. I would love if this story came out just like it started. I hate Apple for all their patent stupidity. The fact that Samsung makes awesome phones now (great specs and very few bugs) and that they lost 1 billion in the patent suit against Apple due to stupid design patents that pretty much concretes that I am going to be a Samsung customer for the foreseeable future. Unless for some reason Samsung starts to make crap products. As much as I used to love HTC, the fact that they went to fixed batteries, non expandable storage and locked down bootloaders just like stupid Apple makes me not want to support their company. So far my Galaxy S 3 has convinced me that Samsung is the greatest cellphone manufacturer right now. Go Galaxy!
30. iphoneisthebest79 (Posts: 70; Member since: 23 May 2012)
who believe this crap, China is cloning every thing in the world and i m sure that if you go to China you will find a clone of you walking in the street
53. phitch (Posts: 214; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
But that is the point... eventually maybe just eventually companies like Apple will actually use their $100 billion dollars in cash to put AMERICANS to work rather than horde it and spend it on lawsuits and instead of hiring people who instead of buying their product would rather produce an exact copy.
34. DKMDROID (Posts: 103; Member since: 09 Aug 2011)
LOL! if this lil Chinese company does what Samsung couldn't i'd die laughing! it'll be the upset of the century! that being said the specs are awesome it's probably dirt cheap as well, so i guess i can get a fake iPhone from a fake iStore in China.......
54. phitch (Posts: 214; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Samsung has won in almost every court of law except the US.
35. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Now see, this is copying someone else product. Samsung phones only had a similar shape. Which almost every other smartphone shares. If the Goophone would have been the phone Apple was going after, I would have to side with Apple. Maybe they should hand these out the the jury to show them what copying actually means.
37. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
if there is truth to this video thats crazy. That thing is like 90% complete iphone rip off with a bigger screen and a different charging part at the bottom.
I cant say that its right, but after watching Apple try to sue the entire phone industry to its knees, I would really fall over laughing if this knock off company sues apple for stepping on ITS intellectual rights. I guess they got to the napkins and pencils before apple did in china. lol. The absolute irony is amazing.
45. jroc74 (Posts: 5586; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
See...this is what I consider a copy. Might even throw the Meizu phones in there.
The Galaxy S line.....not so much. Or as much as Apple and their fanboys claim.
Apple better sue this ppl if they care so much about their patents and trade dress. If they done....its all about the profit and market share and not about protecting their stuff.
39. plethora (Posts: 7; Member since: 24 Aug 2012)
As much as I despise Apple, I noticed no one asked when the GooPhone design was conceived or when the phone was released. But since Apple has no problem inventing history, falsifying the facts, stretching the truth and smoking whatever it is they are smoking, I guess they deserve each other (GooPhone & CrabApple).
41. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Interesting "Unboxing" GooPhone video :)
44. Peter98 (Posts: 119; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
wow! This is just crazy!They sue the original?
48. plgladio (Posts: 314; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
You asking whether GooPhone will sue Apple?
46. mrbtree (Posts: 59; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
just putting this out, a 4 inch screen with a 720p resolution is about 367 ppi, so well done to goopphone
49. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
Now thats wicked- fake iPhone Company sueing the apple company. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE RESULTS!
51. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Haha, have you guys gone to their website? The iPhone is not the only phone they copy. They have a SG 3 look a like, and something that I think is suppose to look like the Samsung G Nexus. The Samsung Note, and HTC One X are some of the looks a like they also have.