Android L on Nexus 5
source: Android (Reddit) via GSMDome & ArsTechnica
1. xMichaelDuncanx (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 Jun 2014)
Colour Coded Notification Bar!:) Can't wait till Note 3 gets 5.0, then when I go on Apps like WhatsApp the Status bar will go Green, can't wait, been waiting on this for ages without rooting. Hopefully Note 3 gets Colour Coded Notification Bar, hopefully Samsung doesn't take it out when they update Note 3 to 5.0
9. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3686; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Dont hold your breath for that, samsung will touchwizify it. Also note 3 didnt get S5 like UI so I doubt it will ever happen. :(
21. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3655; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yes but.....Wait!!! What about GPEs?
29. fanesxx (Posts: 74; Member since: 19 May 2011)
now you know most readers on here who has a note 3, have the GPE ROM
34. gigaraga (Posts: 1454; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Of course Note 3 hasn't got S5 UI YET. There haven't been any major Note 3 software rollouts since the S5 was out. We just have to wait. Doesn't mean they are not going to dooh it
16. DillWeed (Posts: 147; Member since: 14 Mar 2014)
Xposed "tinted status bar" has existed for a long time now.
18. tadaa (Posts: 267; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
if you're rooted you can install xposed tools and go for tinted status bar
22. xMichaelDuncanx (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 Jun 2014)
Not away to root, tinted status bar should have been in stock android by now, I'm not away to root for a simple think, Google should have added it a long time ago instead of having a chunky black status bar always at the top.
26. tadaa (Posts: 267; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
i'm assuming you don't have a way to root, ever tried towelroot? there's also force transparent module for xposed that can force all apps to have transparent status and nav bars
if you don't like to root, that's fine as well lol
2. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Really hope this is all backwards compatible with Android 4.0+, because if not, Google just shot itself in the foot.
19. tadaa (Posts: 267; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
i wouldn't hold my breath, seeing as 4.0 improvements were not made available to 2.3 users
24. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Yes but at that time Google made a mistake, and it ended up costing them a lot. They can't even begin to imagine the repercussions of repeating the same mistake.
I, for one, will focus more on iOS development than Android development if Material Design isn't available for 4.0+
27. tadaa (Posts: 267; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
why was it a mistake? isn't that the point of moving android forward, refining its design for future versions?
i would ask you what the point of updating 4.0+ devices is, seeing as it would not make its way to devices via manufacturer skins, and it already being available to the latest version of the OS
28. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
You completely missed the point of my comment. Though in retrospect my comment doesn't really say what I meant to say so apologies.
My point was that this theme and these elements should be supported by Android 4.0+ so when apps are updated to use material design, they look the same, and look just as good on Android 4.0+.
With Holo UI, it wasn't backwards compatible. So any app made with Holo elements wouldn't work on GB so the apps continued to look crap on GB while the requirements to run Holo was a device with Android 4.0+.
If the do the same thing with Material design then most of the people will have to deal with crappy apps and when devs design apps with material design, they will also have to make a holo version for Android 4.0+.
That's what I originally meant, and you can see why that would be a really really bad thing. Disastrous actually.
31. tadaa (Posts: 267; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
ah, that makes sense now
i'm not a dev so i wouldn't know what problems they would encounter in coding apps, but i agree that people will have to deal with crappy apps.
luckily, by the time material design has taken over holo in the majority of apps people will have upgraded to newer phones, say, in two years time and hopefully the devices they upgrade to are rocking the newest version
32. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
It's been half a year and kitkat has a market share of 15%. Even after 2 years holo will be widely available enough so that developers will still have to support it. So Google really has to give backwards compatibility with this.
3. azalucel (Posts: 127; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
Note 3 android 5.0 wont come before February and when it does it will be missing features like 4.4 and art...custom is 10x better
5. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3686; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
The first thumbnail screenshot looks strikingly similiar to wp. Btw PA the slideshow pics are not screenshots. :D
10. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1160; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Mee tooo... Love the new UI. But why navigation button's background always black?? It should've been transparent or same as status bar.
15. Reality_Check (Posts: 277; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
I agree with you. Except when it comes to the navigation buttons (Triangle, Circle & Square) that's the only thing that sucks IMO. But, it's Android and I can change that :D
25. jdot104 (Posts: 93; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
The more I look at them, the more I like them. I wish there was something they could do about the black bar being constantly present unless I'm watching video, but that's a fairly minor detail.
7. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3686; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I dont like the excessive colorful UI, That was the one reason I found stock android more elegant than Touchwiz, Lg ui, wp and ios. :(
8. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3532; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Why no transparent status/button bars...?
11. promise7 (Posts: 762; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Not a fan of the new UI, but at least that's one of Android 'a strengths and you can change it.
12. peace247 (Posts: 138; Member since: 26 Apr 2014)
Why is the setting menu having dark theme in screenshot and light in the photos.....
Does android 5 has both the option..
14. redmd (Posts: 1125; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Am I the only one lovin the PS-like navigation buttons. Now we need an "X"
17. gaara6775 (Posts: 738; Member since: 20 May 2014)
Resembles Lil bit to sense 6 over all appearance except card view .
20. GeekOB (Posts: 17; Member since: 26 Jun 2014)
that keyboard screams Windows Phone.. flat flat flat everywhere
23. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
that keyboard loks like swfikey
that's the windows phone keyboard, not at flash as this one imo
30. zennacko (Posts: 236; Member since: 16 Jun 2013)
That UI looks like a fusion of iOS and Windows Phone, geez... I guess i like KitKat UI more than this one...
35. HoPhonTab (Posts: 36; Member since: 03 Jun 2014)
I thought the phone in picture #8 is the LG G3 lol
36. Zylam (Posts: 441; Member since: 20 Oct 2010)
The yellow toggles in settings look a little out of place, the rest looks sweet. Hopefully theme engine will let you change colours. The setting and keyboard in the screenshots and pictures are different colours, maybe L has a theme centre built in, that would be insane!!!!!!