Android 5.0 expected to have optimizations for laptops, Samsung planning to jump the gun
0. phoneArena 11 May 2013, 15:15 posted on
Back when Android first made its way onto tablets, the OS wasn't optimized for the form factor, but companies like Samsung charged ahead anyway. The early Android tablets were filled with compromises and apps that just weren't ready for the larger screens. Well, it sounds like Samsung is about to jump the gun again and release an Android-powered laptop before the release of Android 5.0, which is expected to bring optimizations for laptops...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
10. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I'm actually not tired of Jellybean 4.1.2 or 4.2.2 yet. It's a very moddable platform and with the right phone and developer support it's not getting stale. Just today I found a kernel/app that allows me to turn my phone on by just touching the screen.
Here is a list of all the different roms now available for my Note 2:
4.1.2 Rooted Stock
JellyBeans Build 14
Novella Dos (alliancerom)
Cleanrom ace 4.9V
MeanBean Ice v1.04
Cleanrom VZW SE 3.1
Eclipse TW 1.4
4.2.2 Avatar Rom
4.2.2 Paranoidandroid 3.15
4.2.2 PAC-Man v22.1.0 (This is the one I'm using today)
4.2.2 Cyanogenmod 10.1
4.2.2 AOKP JB-MR1 Milestone 1
And these roms are only for the Verizon Note 2. There are others for the Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile Note 2 versions. With all the selections, hacks and tricks I haven't had any time to get bored. I will actually regret upgrading to a Note 3 this fall because my Note 2 still feels new. I just want the 1080p display, faster cpu and IR blaster. I'm a sucker for the old school IR port.
Google can take their time perfecting Android 5.0.
15. imkyle (Posts: 1071; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Agree. Jellybean is still very good and not worth giving up on just yet. New features and improvements should be enough to satisfy a new update.
25. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I'm using AOKP, Ressurection Remix ROM, with Siyah Kernels®
38. hms2407 (Posts: 94; Member since: 25 Apr 2013)
agreed,the devs need to take more in perfecting and enhancing the overall experience since jelly 4.2.2 is rarely seen on smartphones right now...around 85% of android smartphone are still on either ics or 4.1.2
google should release android 5.0 nxt year or at the end of the year so more smartphone could taste 4.2.2
45. omar300 (Posts: 209; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
these kind of f**king idiots need their tongue shoved up their asses. they just bark what ever they want like google owes them something. if you have that huge wish list join apple. you will learn phase of evolution.
google does great job and people like you who arent thankful to them.
6. funnyguy (banned) (Posts: 244; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
Trollarena is awesome ....
They said I won't get banned because I attract other trolls to join the conversation and they make money...
18. Aeires (unregistered)
You are my new hero.
24. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Why did PA give him a holiday.
This guy was really funny= Funnyguy™
Hope to see you next week, looking forward to you're posts.
If this was GsmArena, they wouldnt'ev "Limited" him!
You have no freedom of speech in PA, unlike GsmArena®
27. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2700; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Freedom of speech is limited by societal norms. You may be allowed to walk into a public space and scream obscenities and gibberish, but people don't appreciate it, and someone will ask you to stop.
Trolls feed on that negative attention, and ignore requests to stop, so the only way to deal with them is to ignore them and mute them.
31. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
If you ignore them you wouldn't mute them and if you mute them you didn't ignore them ... :)
35. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2700; Member since: 26 May 2011)
No, if you people would ignore them, I wouldn't have to mute them. Other commenters feed the trolls, which fills up the comment section with crap that I need to clean up.
36. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
More like fun, more discussions, debates, arguments, feelings, expressions, likes,hates, dislikes, all should be inclusive!
PhoneArena is now booring, it's not like befor, when TheMiz, Taco50 cmpunk remixfa and so many other regular users use to post, and fill the article with over 100+ posts. But now it hardly reaches 50 posts
37. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Whose idear was to delete posts, now you can't tell who has recieved a warning.
MichellHeller what happened to the PhoneArenaTeam that use to let users no what to say, post and not to be rude?
39. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Man you need to a) get kicked out of PA forever and b) get a life.
40. papss (unregistered)
43. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Says another Nokia Wp8 jealous fan™
42. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Your booring, go away™
Suits your personality, with the restricted OS. No fun, no chill. Seek wise therapy™
Please you need help, bordem is in state of your mind. Looks like your arrogant, insecure, OAP!
34. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Well said Michael! You're my hero!
13. TNesmith (Posts: 13; Member since: 05 May 2013)
Personally I think this is a necessary step in the evolution of android. Phone, Tablet, TV-Top Box, Netbook, and now Laptop. Now if only Google would make a Nexus TV dongle (HDMI Hookup) than all of my nerd tech wet dreams would come true. It would drive the girlfriend mad...
16. XperiaPrince (Posts: 108; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
Oh no.... Samsungvwill flood galaxy laptops too :(
20. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
They're a worldwide conglomerate like Sony, what's the problem?
33. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 773; Member since: 11 May 2013)
XperiaPrince is flooding PA with nonsense comments..
17. grahaman27 (Posts: 361; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
I called it, KLP will bring a "desktop" interface, possibly windowed or split screen apps... bringing android in competition with windows and chrome os, it will be very interesting.
19. Aeires (unregistered)
So what would the difference between this and a tablet be then? Specs?
21. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
And since when is being an early bird a problem? That's how Samsung got ahead of rivals (or any other tech company for that matter), and they certainly know how to build a laptop, even if it's based on Google SW.
22. axllebeer (Posts: 271; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
My Note 10.1 has nearly replaced my laptop 99% of the time as is.
23. axllebeer (Posts: 271; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
But in all reality I'm pretty sure Samsung has the torch on what a hardwear manufacturer can do with Android. So, if anyone can pull it off successfully it's Sammy.
26. KeyMirrortic (Posts: 1; Member since: 11 May 2013)
i eagerly want to experience the android 5.0.
29. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
This is going too be sweet.
30. nlbates66 (Posts: 328; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
i see no point in running Android on a laptop... wonder what they'll do to make it workable, since AOSP itself has no stock way of allowing the use of two or more different programs being used on the screen at once, with the exception of add ons like from Samsung, LG and other OEMs as well as a few open source options, just about all of which require modification to the apps in question as well as not being compatible with each others implementations.
32. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Awesome! Bring it on! I can't wait to try it on my laptop!
41. papss (unregistered)
Google would need to do a ton of work to get it to work well on a laptop, also I hope it's not stupid expensive like the last google rumored one... He'll maybe it even came out and no one cared due to price
44. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I am a fan of the Android OS but why the hell would I need an Android laptop? Unless they create their own OS like Mac OSX or snow leopard or whatever they call it. An Android laptop would almost be as useless as an IOS laptop.
This would be like a transformer that can't transform into a tablet. That is just sad.
46. MC1123 (Posts: 1255; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
now this is interesting... it might be the most the successful linux yet.... i mean ubuntu failed to capture a lot of market!
47. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
My only question is why would Google create more competition for chrome?