Android 4.4 KitKat review
0. phoneArena 05 Nov 2013, 03:02 posted on
As some of you will undoubtedly know, the source code for Android 4.4 KitKat has been officially released by Google, and a few ports from dev teams...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
25. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I love 4.4
I think its about a week early for a review, though.
29. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4207; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I really like when Google flexes it's muscles. Android 4.4 is some impressive gainz as the Hodgetwins would say. lol
The king just made iOS 7 look like a girls tea party set.
2. byazatt (Posts: 159; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
And things keep getting better and better B-)
3. promise7 (Posts: 471; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
I'm wondering why Google doesn't replace the "Browser" app with Chrome since it is a Nexus. What differences does each one have?
16. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 653; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Browser has flash support
23. NexusPhan (Posts: 503; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Uhhh, they did replace the Browser app with Chrome. A while ago actually. You can only install the browser if you flash an apk off the internet or use a custom ROM.
4. Sniggly (Posts: 7119; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Pretty good review of the new features. I'll look forward to seeing it on my Mini.
Of course, now the waiting begins to see if a 5.0 happens next year, considering that by that point the baseline for the last couple of updates (4.0) will be about 3 years old at that point.
5. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 847; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
I know it's an incremental update. So they satisfied my expectations.
and support for low end devices even 512MB ram w awesome.
great for low end phones. And now it's only OEM'S and carriers job to give us updates no more excuses and blames on google.
If they can't make their hardware hog skins to work on low end phones, fine just give us stock android. I know that's not going to happen just a damn wish....
6. androiphone20 (Posts: 1474; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
"Some aspects of Android 4.4 KitKat seem
to indicate that Google is going in the
general direction of iOS. It feels simpler
than ever and more intuitive in some
regards, to the point of blatantly obvious" I also quote from Ive "We believe that technology is at its best when it's simply disappeared"
7. amiaq (Posts: 483; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
someone fix the "gallery"! it is painfully slow.
9. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Big Changes..........that some of us still cant access. I live in the UK and got really excited when i saw the Tap & Pay option leak. However, when i went to set it up last night, it re-directed me to download Google Wallet. But Google Wallet is still not available in the UK. When is Google gonna realize that the world extends beyond the USA?
14. Klamba92 (Posts: 203; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
What really? The tap and pay option is still US only work Google wallet only being in the US still? I agree Google need to bring this internationally, it's so annoying because everyone is trying to come up with their own version like EE AND O2!
17. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
while some networks still have no options or recommendations for wireless payment apps. There's no standard, apart from Google Wallet which i can't get. :(
24. NexusPhan (Posts: 503; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
The blame lies 100% on the UK/European Union governments. Google doesn't want to deal with their BS requirements for credit cards so it will likely never come to you.
10. bloodline (Posts: 693; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
I don't see how you can review an unstable build....pretty lame, why not wait for the nexus 5?
I received my N5 yesterday (UK) Its definitely awesome.
12. Chris.P (Posts: 292; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
It's as stable as they come. It's derived from the source code, so it's virtually stock Android 4.4.
20. bloodline (Posts: 693; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
I still think its unfair, there could still be performance issues.
26. Chris.P (Posts: 292; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
Nowhere in the above preview will you see any comments on performance, though. Which is exactly the point ;).
11. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Still no article on WP's growth
typical android arena
18. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 653; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Heres your Windows Arena...
30. puckhead (Posts: 76; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
omg, it says it took over iOS and Italy! What the bleep is going on in that country????
13. solomonsteve (Posts: 74; Member since: 19 Dec 2012)
We should all thank WP for introducing this "simplicity thing". Android and IOS have noe adopted it. Its nice to have that for a change
33. Damo579 (Posts: 206; Member since: 18 May 2013)
We have live tiles which are similar to widgets. I agree WP needs settings toggles hopefully it will in 8.1
15. Klamba92 (Posts: 203; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Don't you think you should wait for official release? Also when are you going to test out the nexus 5?
22. protozeloz (Posts: 5378; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
John V ordered his, so I guess will see him shortly
28. protozeloz (Posts: 5378; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Don't know if you already ordered one so I can't say you will review it but I knew he ordered one because he posted it on his account... So
21. AfterShock (Posts: 2812; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I just want a concrete date of when KK is to be released for other Nexi.
I'm choked this has been left off table of events other then to say, in a few weeks.
31. bwhiting (Posts: 171; Member since: 15 Jun 2013)
I tried the stable build on my Droid Ultra and it worked just the Google Search when I was using it for the "Ok, Google" feature was not working and kept crashing but the Droid doesn't have a fully stable one at the moment but other than that it works well with everything else.
Above all, SMOOTH!!
32. rightcue805 (Posts: 55; Member since: 08 Jul 2013)
does anyone know if the battery life has inproved with kit kat?
34. 4.1.2 (Posts: 11; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)
This update is useless. Why did google do this??????????? I ordered a nexus 5 for nothing... I guess I better go and pay the $800 early termination fee.